LED DLR Bulbs - What Works, Confused?

Morning,

I'm a little confused at the 'will LED DRL bulbs work in the Monte' without resistors and things. I had MTEC bulbs in mine for a while but found they kept dying to early so I put the standard bulbs back in.

I'm looking for a answer on these bulbs will they work in my Monte:

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/382-p21w-5w-cree-smd-canbus-led-bulbs-white/

It's just a little confusing when there are so many posts about what bulbs will work and what wont, and some that need load resistors and its like 'waaaaa', if you catch my drift.

Would appreciate anyones input, thanks.

Do you need them?

What's wrong with the standard bulbs?

I can't see them, so I don't care (but then I did take it to the garage when they stopped working), but LEDs won't improve the lights, just make it look flasher. Won't they?

I agree that I don't see them but I want them for the cosmetics. I don't want them to be brighter, I just want a white light rather than the orange tint off the original bulbs.

But at the same time, I don't want to come across as a little boy racer, as I'm far from it. I personally think it would finish off the Monte nicely.

I went for the Cree LED bulbs in mine, work a treat. I had the HID's direct ones originally but after a while some of the LED's started flickering and packing up, they also weren't as white as I would of hoped.

I have no error problems with mine and have been running them for 10k plus. They look very OEM and not boy racer.

I just looked at the link and saw they are now selling the Cree ones! I went for the ones with led's around them, not just facing forward.

I ordered those one's above. Thanks for the input all. If anyone's interested I don't mind putting up some pictures after I get them.

StuFan, did you go for the Canbus or Cree? With you saying you went for the ones above it's not clear to an old thicko like me. I prefer the look of the Cree ones, but not sure if they're 100% compatible without fitting resistors.

I fitted some led p21w bulbs off eBay on a 13 plate only thing I found was they didn't work so had 2swop the wires round at the plug and hey presto worked fine but not sure if this was because they was led bulbs as others have said they didn't but I've had 2do it on 3 now all with led bulbs ??? Lol

If it makes any difference to anyone, I'm STILL confused!

Could someone please post a brief idiots guide as-to which type of bulb fits, what canbus is, whether you need resistors etc. Okay, one specific model has been linked-to above, but those look like they might be super (annoyingly) bright. So, armed with the right information about what works without any hassle/ resistors/ wire-swapping, surely I could go and shop around for something else, perhaps with a different output in terms of power or colour temperature? i.e. slightly less 'white'.

BTW, someone queried the o/p's need for them above, but IMO 'LED' type Daytime Running Lights can be seen much earlier than standard bulbs, particularly on a dull day. I would want them for that reason alone, rather than aesthetics.

Edited by Jaydash
  • Like 1

^^^^

I've got these fitted in my monte, no modifications necessary:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18SMD-1156-BA15s-P21W-CAN-BUS-LED-Stop-Tail-bulbs-WHITE-/180657021025?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0fff6061

Pretty much any P21W Canbus led should work in your Fabia, there's absolutely hundreds to choose from these days:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=p21w+canbus&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=p21w+canbus+white&_sacat=0

Personally I dont think the projector style cree leds (as linked in the post above) are intended for use as DRL's.

• Like 1

I watched a review on the bulbs I have purchased on above, and they projected them onto a wall as such to show what they are like. They didn't seem too bright. We will soon find out when I get them, if they are dazzling other drivers I will without a doubt return them, and get something else.

Be interesting to hear feedback from you. I cant imagine they will cause a problem but as they are designed to project light rather than 'glow' like a drl should they may (as you said) dazzle other road users.

Fitted them tonight after I got back from work. They work fine, no problems and look great in my opinion. I think they look more noticeable, and finish off the front nicely.

Don't seem to dazzle from the angle I was looking, but only time will tell. No re-wiring needed, no fiddling about, just in and they work. No error's on the dash either. Pictures are below.

Before_zpsebbd6929.jpg

During_zps40c4ad27.jpg

After_zps68ebf722.jpg

They look very good from the front, but I'm guessing that the camera is not replicating the true colour on the side views where the lights appear to be yellow?

I took the pictures using my iPhone 4S. I do agree the original bulbs look lighter in person, and the camera has added some tint to them (the standard ones). But I'm happy with the end results of the LED's.

Edited by Guest

I fitted a pair from e,bay £5.

Changed the wiring about in the wiring plug & they work fine.

Much better light as in White light, not yellow as the originals are.

9-LED P21W BA15s 1156 Stop Brake/Tail/Indicator Car Light Bulbs - Super White

Item number:

Ten mins per side fitted.

Avtur, have you made the mistake that I made first time I saw the pics?

Basically, I think Stufans three pictures are i. Before, ii. Mid-way through the change, iii. After changing both bulbs, hence the light in the first one looking quite yellowy i.e. it's the normal bulb.

Am I right Stu?

PS. They are sort of a bit dazzling. More pics at different time of day/ lower angle/ further away/ projections against a wall/ reflections in a window might be more telling. I guess LED lights aren't meant to have reflectors normally? Carlo's look less conspicuous (which is possibly counter intuitive!)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally took the plunge and ordered a set of LEDS the same as yours StuFan. I wonder how long it'll be before someone flashes their disapproval. Lol!