Restore-a-wreck Fabia VRS Mk1

angusrowan

So, updating on my introduction post, here's a few details of my new runabout. Purchased 3 weeks ago from a dealer under a railway in Birmingham.

122,000 miles on it, cosmetically a bit of a state.

Ordered a load of bits and gave it some TLC during half term

- air filter

- fuel filter

- oil change

- 2 new tyres

- New interior fan resistor speed controller thingy

- First clean and wax in a while, and some attempts to bodge up paintwork

Also put in a £10 head unit from gumtree with aux in, and a sub and amp I had from my days driving around in a van.

Looking eventually to

- get some fresh badges on it (looking at special order retro, any advice appreciated), have paint touchups done professionally, wheels refurbed (thinking anthracite grey).

- Upgrade to DAB radio

I had it up on a friend's ramp and checked suspension and exhaust etc as there is a fair amount of squeaking and clonking. Couldn't find anything obviously wrong - anybody got any ideas where to start?

Guest BigJase88

Could really do with new shock absorbers! Bound to be gubbed at that mileage, rear bump stops will be split and new front top mounts would be a good idea

• 1 month later...

Cheers all, shocks was a thought I had. Will it likely improve the handling a lot to replace them with new OEM items? The ride is worse than the Grande Punto I had before by some margin, and the handling isn't notably better as a result - it has a bit of a heart stopping floaty moment on turn in, doesn't feel well tied down. My commute is really bumpy so I don't want a hard ride. Bushes and things may be something I get to in a couple of weeks - I imagine they will help the handling too.

Pastyboy has been contacted, hoping for a group buy!

Funds a little tight as it has had new discs, pads and a caliper at the rear (old one was sticking) total £180, and was insured yesterday (£745, ouch)