Car Technology

What are the features in the Fabia (vRS or otherwise) you appreciate and make the most of so-to-speak, and what would you like to see in the MK3?

DSG and MDI get my vote (for the current model) and I would like to see gas discharge headlamps and electric folding mirrors in the new model.

Simplicity, reliability and a reasonable price.

just a basic Hot version available,

good engine and gearbox and handling/brakes and no frills as a starter.

Quality Seats & steering wheel.

All the extras and bits and pieces that people want can be on an options list or more expensive edition.

george

More control over electronic driver aids - ability to turn all off for track days

Better brakes

Bucket seats

Mapping on-the-go similar to what Octy III SE has

Better Stereo

Another 30 bhp

Favourite feature is DSG box of course and twin charger ! :love:

Not too bothered tbh,my current vRS is ,so far,without any faults and a decent enough car for the price,but my general attitude is that I have no particular brand loyalty and life is too short to buy the same car twice.

Best features are engine and DSG gearbox. Seats, steering wheel and Maxidot are all good. I like the vRS only colour choices. Headlamps are one of the worst features, as are the interior rattles. I would not want any additional features as standard that would inflate the price.

• Like 1

Cars current dimensions are ideal for narrow lanes and parking bays but I fear any new model will grow in size as seems the fashion these days :S

One reason for taking out the extended 5 year warranty, as we will be probably keeping the Monte quite a while.

TP

I miss the heated front screen from my old Mondeo. That should be an option without having to bundle it with any other options.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Better brakes

Is that a U turn.... :kiss:

For me, the best thing that can happen for the Mk3 is to ditch the 1.4TSI and go with the 1.8TSI instead. How many much happier people do you reckon there would be in the Fabia II section if this was the case with the Mk2!!. And before people mention economy, its actually an economical engine in the Octavia, so in a Fabia which is 300kg lighter it wouldnt be that far off the 1.4TSI for economy.

Also 312mm front brakes as standard and 256mm rears. Other than that, there's not much else it really needs, maybe a small slap with the lowering stick. Doesnt have to be much, just try to remove the On stilts look of the car.

Following my track day experience what I got from the brakes then yes, it is a U-turn but only if track work is considered. For normal road use brakes are fine :). Still, I'd like to have that VCDS brake assist setting changed. When emergency brake assist was kicking on on the track brakes were stopping it on spot literary so they are capable of doing it. I think there's too much electronics fiddling with it the moment :(.

Still, assuming that brake assist works the way I think it would there's a small matter of thermal management of OEM brakes - simply not capable of taking the track work loads ... whether DS2500 can change it, I have to try. What is your view on this Sy?

I turned the brake assist off. I want the braking performance that i ask for, not what the car wants to give me.

I managed to push the DS2500 to the point of fading after 8-10 laps at silverstone on a dry and hot day, so i was looking at upgrading to DS3000 which made sense for the use i gave it, however, as i left it until the last minute and then booked another trackday, all I could get hold of in time were Mintex M1144 pads. They werent as good as the DS2500 IMO both on track and the road.

Some ducting, fluid and decent pads will go along way to improving them. I think the 312mm conversion is being overlooked by many though. No one would know its even been changed from outside unless they were a mega geek, that gives you the extra braking torque and mass to improve braking and dissipate the heat. Plus the pad options are huge with the caliper setup as well. And crucially it can be done for peanuts. Ebay normally has loads for only £250 ish

Have you looked at buying to sets of pads? One for track and one for the road?

I know you've done it with that brake assist setting. What are the settings then? I'd love to have them without any electronics interference at all, except perhaps ABS and stability control but that's it. I prefer complete vanilla setups where your foot is ABS and coupled with throttle pedal (linear if possible ;) ) and correct steering input at correct time acting as stability control :love:

I was astounded I could go 1.5 secs faster after I switched TC off alone, and that's within two laps...

P.S. As you bought DS2500 for your chariot, what is the correct pad part number if you could recall?

Never had the Ds2500 on my std setup, only on the Tarox setup.

Brake assist:

In VCDS Select Control Module, go to 03 ABS Brakes, then 10 Adaptation, go to Channel:

Channel 09 Brake Assist

There are 3 settings for this

0-center (stock setting)

1-small

2-hard

Think im on 0 for that.

Never had the Ds2500 on my std setup, only on the Tarox setup.

Brake assist:

In VCDS Select Control Module, go to 03 ABS Brakes, then 10 Adaptation, go to Channel:

Channel 09 Brake Assist

There are 3 settings for this

0-center (stock setting)

1-small

2-hard

Think im on 0 for that.

Excellent, cheers! I was looking for that!

If "0" is stock then "1" is for very small assist i.e. the most direct brake feel and least electronics and "2" goes in the opposite direction or the other way round? Is that the only "brake related" setting one could change?

id like some middle road yellow stuff pads but cant find them anywhere :@

James I was really happy with those pads at Bedford and his brakes were cool and worked really well. Mind you, he had wider and better tyres than stock as well :)

Its the reports of yellow stuff pads crumbling that put me off BC full stop.

Dont think any other braking settings can be changed. You can make the XDS more aggressive,however i'm in two minds as to whether or not having it set to the most aggressive mode could have led to the steering rack failure. It cant be good for the rack for the XDS to be applying the brakes. that surely must apply a shearing type force to the rack

I would like it to have a more 'raw' exhaust note, with maybe some pops and bangs on the overrun.... My idea of musical bliss! :rock:

• Like 1

I'd love better browsing on the MDI - much as when you scroll fast on the ipod, it snaps to going by letter to make it easier to navigate longer lists.

DAB is inevitable, and starting to creep in on the budget VAG brands.

The KESSY keyless entry / start would be nice.

Completely disable-able ESP would be fantastic, as the new RS Clio does. That, with 5 doors and DSG-type gearbox, will have me looking seriously once secondhand prices and/or big discounts on new kick in.

Standard Eibach springs, 312mm front brakes, 6 speed manual with some sort of quick shift mechanism, weightier steering, sound actuator ala Golf GTi. Inside lower front seats, lumbar supports, control for MFD and Phone from MFSW, standard bluetooth, DAB, rear elec wins and rear courtesy light.

As much as I think the twincharger is a great engine dare I say it think the next vRS would be highly amusing with the new 185ps 2.0 TDi lump in it even if it ended up a bit nose heavy. Be as quick as the current car Id have thought with considerably better running costs otherwise a lightly breathee on 1.8 TSi would be great.

Very cheap and easy to achieve, just delete the resonator.

Is this something you have done? I am not so keen on making any modifications that could jeopardize the warranty.