Differences between ASZ and BLT Turbos

Sorry i locked it down cos i was done with it :D

The actual turbo internal bits themselves are exactly the same

the only difference is in cast metal manifold on top; however as this is part of a 1 piece assembly you need to make sure you have the right one (or you'll have the same issues i have just experienced.)

On the BLT turbo the part of the manifold which joins to the pipe which runs up to the EGR valve is shorter and in a different position; which is why when i tried to marry it up to my ASZ engine EGR assembly it didn't fit... as per

IMAG0313_zpsa2248de5.jpg

I assume this is to do with the fact that they use different EGR and anti shudder valves the BLT engine for emissions

I can't put them side by side as the BLT turbo is now bolted to my engine but this'll give you an idea

BLT turbo

IMAG0310_zps9c548596.jpg

ASZ turbo

IMAG0315_zps0d5b3aa1.jpg

See the difference in the shape of the metal under the pipe fixing with the 2 threads sticking out of it?

That's the only difference.

The positions of the bolts to fix it to the block and everything internal is identical.

But the difference in the position of that connection is why you can't put a BLT turbo on an ASZ engine or vice versa

Ok that's not true strictly as you can put the turbo on the engine with no problem (as we did yesterday) but you'll soon discover need to do an EGR delete of some description to actually get it to run.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. I assume the BLT manifold outlet (whatever it's called) is shorter is because of the BLT engine having an EGR cooler, and to take into account the extra room needed for it.

The reason I was wondering was that I have a BLT engine, but the majority of the turbos for the Fabia listed on various sites are for ASZ engines. I thought they would just be a straight fit, but not quite! I'll probably have an EGR delete anyway on my engine so if the turbo goes I should be able to put an ASZ or PD150 turbo on, I hope.

ASZ engines were used in the majority of the cars 2003-2006 v 2006-2007 for the BLT which is why they are more commonly listed.

The difference also isn't really big enough to make it instantly recognisable (as i am living proof of) when purchasing.

That said an EGR delete kit at £70 for ASV or £90 for the BLT (or the £13 2 blanking plate pikey method) is a much easier way around the problem than trying desperately to source a different correct turbo.

Hopefully the above will save people from making the same mistake I did though

I am wondering whether fitting an ASZ turbo to a BLT engine isn't as bad as long as you can move the EGR pipe up a bit to fit on the longer manifold outlet of an ASZ turbo. Could always remove it though with the Darkside EGR cooler delete pipe I guess.

Hi

I have done this change in past 6 wks , i have 07 BLT and up graded kkk to a garrett, needed egr delete , for the BLT engine you need the one thats bolted both ends , go to e bay type in Allard egr delete , one is bolted one end and smooth other end to allow boost hose to slip over , that i think is for ASZ, and as i said Blt bolted both ends .

Does that make any sense ???????

Trev

• 2 months later...

Even if the pipes don't exactly meet you can loosen the housing bolts on the turbo and rotate till its in the correct position that's intercooler pipes btw exhaust side is cast and cannot be altered I don't think

• 1 month later...

So, to make it clear(er), is the ASZ or BLT on the v5 as part of the engine code?

Also, is there an easy visual check you can make to ascertain which you have (without removing bits of pipe, manifolds etc)?

My wife's lasr vRS was the later engine code, and made 154bhp on 2 separate rolling roads as standard.

She now has a 2005 '05' car, so presumably this is the earlier code engine?

2005 I would assume would be an ASZ, easiest way to find it (on my car at least) is to lift the boot mat and on the left next to the spare wheel well there's a label that has engine ID, engine code, paint code and option codes.

I've got a spare Garrett turbo and just wondered out of interest, if I came to change would it be possible to replace the turbo itself onto a KKK manifold and just keep all the EGR stuff as it was ? Obviously not bolt on off but actually removing the core and switching the actual turbo part between manifolds.

Edit: This one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161116824838?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Never seen anyone ask this question so just wondered. I imagine there are too many variables to make it likely but doesn't hurt to ask and set it straight

I doubt it and I'll probably have to do an EGR delete and just switch it entirely if my (supposed KKK) ever busts. 107K and still going !

Edited by dominorising

I've got a spare Garrett turbo and just wondered out of interest, if I came to change would it be possible to replace the turbo itself onto a KKK manifold and just keep all the EGR stuff as it was ? Obviously not bolt on off but actually removing the core and switching the actual turbo part between manifolds.

I think the KKK is an entire one piece cast bit of kit. The turbo housing and manifold are all one piece of metal so there's no way - short of cutting and reattaching - to swap the whole turbo assembly over.

you could i guess swap out the internals - making a hybrid KKK/Garrett - but i think it's the way that the Garrett unit that is put together which gives it its extra strength and reliability over the KKK.

Is there any difference on power between the azr and blt? A lot of people seem to think there is a difference.. Blt being more powerful ?

Standard BLT's do consistently make better power on rollers than standard ASZ's however i don't think that's down to the turbos.

The conversations I had with Darkside pointed to the fact that the intrenals and construction of both turbos are exactly the same it's just a slightly different exhaust manifold casting.

i think the extra power from the BLT comes from a more efficient EGR assembly....maybe

sorry missed these 2 questions

Could I ask, other than EGR (which can be blanked) - is there an issue with turbo inlet angle too? I.e will I be able to use OEM boost pipes to connect up a BLT turbo to my ASZ engine?

No other issues.

Only the EGR hole on the exhaust manifold is different - all other holes point in exactly the same direction so you can just bolt it on

Even if the pipes don't exactly meet you can loosen the housing bolts on the turbo and rotate till its in the correct position that's intercooler pipes btw exhaust side is cast and cannot be altered I don't think

there are no housing bolts on the KKK as the entire assembly is one cast piece of metal - I think you are thinking of the Garrett turbos off Golfs