vRS air con query

In the current hot weather I notice some drops of water on the concrete floor of my garage after parking up my fabia. I guess this is from the the aircon outlet? Is this normal?

In the current hot weather I notice some drops of water on the concrete floor of my garage after parking up my fabia. I guess this is from the the aircon outlet? Is this normal?

You guys respond quick. Thanks.

The aircon pipe in my vRS which was 4 days old when it happened, blew apart and is in the garage being repaired now. shat myself when i saw gas coming from under the bonnet of a brand new motor :eek:

I'm using my air con so much in this weather my car has started to smell like a fridge, not good :thumbdwn:

It's bacteria buildind up on the condenser apparently. There's a few tips on here about how to stop that (spraying ammonia-based cleaner into the ventilation inlet if thigs get really bad - search for details if you need to). I find opening the windows and whacking it up to full for a few minutes does the trick. Turning the AC off 5 minutes before you park can help prevent it too...

Just condensation from the............errrrr condenser.

No, it's from the evaporator. The condensator is hot because the refrigerant is pumped into it under high pressure (13 bar) from the compressor, and inside the condensor the refrigerant condensates while shedding its heat to the ambient, like humid in the air condensating on the cold window glass.

Or like when you burn yourself terribly on the steam from a kettle. There is always a lot of energy involved in phase changing processes (boiling, condensing, curing and thawing)

The evaporator is cold because the refrigerant is boiling inside it, and to get things to boil you need heat, which comes from the air on the outer surface of the evaporator, that then gets cold and sheds most of its moisture, again like on the cold window glass. This effect allows the occupants of the car cabin to cool down their bodies by sweating without getting damp.

In fact this is the important effect of air conditioning.

To finish the description ef the cooling cycle: on the outlet of the condenser, all the refrirant gas has turned to fluid, but is still maybe 50

• 2 weeks later...