Octavia 3 or Superb

Woohoo, i have my reg number allocated! Dealer pushed it through so we could get finance finalised before i go away tomorrow. Car still in Germany, but expecting it shortly. Hopefully when i get back home on 23rd.

If i could be so rude. I remember i read on here the reason why the DSG boxes sometimes stutter, and are slow to repsond when pulling away at junctions etc. But i cant find it anymore. Does anyone have any idea on the reason?

Know somebody else looking into Skodas and the DSG box, and keeps hearing about this problem.

I've had a couple of superb's and now i'm on my 4th VRS as a Long distance Cruiser the Superb is hard to beat. Get yourselfs a new Octy and When the mk3 Superb comes Out in 2015 Trade the VRS in for it , That will be SOME car.

I've had a couple of superb's and now i'm on my 4th VRS as a Long distance Cruiser the Superb is hard to beat. Get yourselfs a new Octy and When the mk3 Superb comes Out in 2015 Trade the VRS in for it , That will be SOME car.

if you have had few superb's can you compare them regarding: space ( back seat leg and showder space), drive comfort, noise, performance with regular Octy not sport one if you tested regular one as well.

Hi, I'm in the same dilemma. I own a superb elegance 170 DSG and I just can't make up my mined if the octavia is worth it. The superb comes with a lot of toys, it's small things like footwell lights on the superb that make all the diffrence. Once you have specked up a octavia it comes to about the same money and it's still missing kit! I found the VRS suspension to hard for our well maintained roads in the UK. I do like the octavia but is it worth the money? I'm of to the stealers today to drive both octy elegance and vrs both in DSG to see if it can replace my superb.

• 9 months later...

I have both cars , Octavia in 1.6 cr elegance and superb 2.0 cr 170 elegance , to be very honest  the Octavia is a better all round car in respects of the size and refinement of drive , the only down side for the 1.6 cr Octavia is the engine .the superb is not as easy to handle, is a bit of a barge in handling but the saving grace is the 2.0 cr 170 engine ,it  is  as economical as the 1.6 in the Octavia , alot more powerful and has more presence on the road . If I had a mix of both  cars it would  be a mk 2 Octavia with 2.0cr , but avoid the 1.6 cr . I have also had a mk 3 Octavia on demonstrator and found it mediocre in styling and performance .

I realise this is a very mixed review but it is down to what you do with your car ie mostly town / country = Octavia , mostly motorway = superb . under any circumstance avoid the 1.6 cr diesel.

• 1 month later...

I'm also considering either an Octavia 3 or a Superb 2 FL these days ...

With the Superb 3 getting closer (next summer?), there are now some nice discounts on the current model, I've been offered a Superb2 2.0 TDI 140 DSG6 Ambition=SE (plus Xenons and a few extras) for 24.5k while an Octavia 3 2.0 TDI 150 DSG6 Elegance with more or less the same options (if not standard) goes actually for 25.5k ... The difference is more or less the same between 1.8 TSI 160 vs 1.8 TSI 180, both with DSG7 ...

I do want a quiet cabin during long journeys however I would only need the extra leg room at the back a few times per year, being the driver I would rather trade a few cm of car length to a few cm of extra width but the two cars since almost identical on paper (in terms of interior width) ...

I like the newer generation of displays with touchscreens, instruments, however many people complain about these being launched too early and with all sorts of quirks/issues

Octavia 3 has also new engines as well (both petrols and diesels), I guess it's too early to tell of reliability issues ... Are they at least quieter than the older ones from Superb?

The older 1.8 TSI 160 had direct+MPI injection too or carbon deposits is something I should keep an eye on?

Do the new diesels have the same injectors as the old ones?

I've read the new EA288 diesel has the DPF closer to the engine so I suppose the regeneration process should happen less frequently and be over faster, any real world feedback on this?

I think as others have said.....

The Superb represents an awful lot of "huge" car for the money and is v well equipped; even at S spec its not exactly wanting for the basics.

Problem is the Superb is now quite old and feels it against the Octavia. Sure the Octavia is smaller and in certain respects feels less premium (perceived and actual build probably not quite up to Superb standards) but it has old tech, old engines and will be replaced fairly imminently.

I dont doubt the new Superb will raise the game against the Octavia again but right now Id probably rather a 2.0 TDi L&K Octavia over the equivalent Superb; its probably just about the better car overall.

I think I'd be very tempted to go back to a Superb II FL if I was changing now but would opt for the Elegance to get the adaptive xenons, leather and Columbus sat nav standard, plus upgrade to ventilated leather and heated windscreen all of which in the uk can be had with 18% discount at the moment, wheras Octy III is only available with 14% discount, both for cash/self finance buyers and the UK spec Octy III still does not have a few of the features that are available on the Superb such as integrated blinds, and not forgetting the umbrella hidden in the rear door!  Admittedly, the Infotainment is better in the Octy III and the Octy L&K has moved the game on in terms of standard spec list/available options such as lane assist and ACC. 

I've read the new EA288 diesel has the DPF closer to the engine so I suppose the regeneration process should happen less frequently and be over faster, any real world feedback on this?

Regarding DPF, my Octy III regens every few hundred miles wheras the Superb II as far as I recall never did a regen, or I at least never noticed/interupted one with the fans whiring away, so I guess the ability to regen was not fitted in the earlier 2009 CR170?

any DPF has to regen at some point (otherwise soot will build up until it clogs the entire exhaust and the engine will not start anymore); afaik there's a hard limit (around 600miles=1000km) which if met (meaning if no regen has been initiated over that distance) the engine will triger a regen regardless of what the DPF sensors measure at that moment; i think you either never noticed it or you don't have a DPF at all

Definitely notice it on the Octy but not sure if my Superb had active regen, it was a June 09 170CR, I thought it only did passive regen by heat build up in exhaust, either that or it was faulty from the factory and I was none the wiser!

Octy III still does not have a few of the features that are available on the Superb such as integrated blinds, and not forgetting the umbrella hidden in the rear door! 

Surely that has to be the oddest selling point ever? You can fit about 3000 umbrellas in the boot and about 20 under each seat. Who needs one more in the door?

For me, the superb wins my Octavia hands down in the luxury, space and comfort stakes.  Sure it relies on tried and tested technology and lacks some of the buggy and temperamental infotainment features but personally, as good as the vrs is, I don't think that they compare. Having driven around 13K in the vrs, I'd swap it for superb tomorrow. Aaah, comfort and serenity.

• Like 1

Last Sunday I've test drove Superb Hatch SE 2.0 140HP DSG(17" wheels) and Octavia III 1.4 TSI manual (16").

First to drive was the Superb - immediately impressed by how it drives and ride quality (compered to my Civic mk8 1.8 petrol manual), From behind the wheel it feels like a normal medium sized sedan. The rear seats leg room is simply huge. Very quiet on motorway at 80 - 90 miles/hour (only for a second or two, until I realized I'm well over the limit). The seats seem a bit to stiff and the hatch version is ugly as hell.

Then I test drove the new Octavia - immediately amazed about how  light the Octi feels and how potent the 1.4 TSI is with plenty of punch when needed. The ride quality a bit too hard compered with the Superb, the interior less pleasant then Superb as well (in my opinion). The Superb has ruined the Octavia for me - period. I know the Octavia is on a new platform with newer engines but... Superb is still a viable choice.

So today I've order the new Superb Estate 2.0 TDI 170 HP Manual Black Edition in Moon White :) through carwow. This is going to be my second Skoda - I previously owned  Octavia II 2008 1.9 TDI PD Manual. 

Cheers

Sorry sec2xz, what is the price difference between the two cars you test drove ?

I've got a 1.4 TSI DSG Elegance for £267p/m with 3 years free servicing, breakdown and Skoda Assist but, I value value over comfort, I guess you're more fortunate than me.

Regards

T

If I am not mistaken current version of superb is the same width as the octavia, which can be largely felt in the back seats, especially for the big guys. It might have the huge interior length, but the lack of width compromises it as a luxury saloon.

And it is on the ugly side, especially in dark colours, which emphasize its ugly lines, but in the end it should be good built, since its the Skoda's top car.

If I were on to buying superb, I would definitely wait for next year new model release, sure it will be some more expensive as a new model, but might bright some important changes, making it even more perfect. If not, previous models should be even more cheaper than ever when new model comes out.

Sorry sec2xz, what is the price difference between the two cars you test drove ?

I've got a 1.4 TSI DSG Elegance for £267p/m with 3 years free servicing, breakdown and Skoda Assist but, I value value over comfort, I guess you're more fortunate than me.

Regards

T

Hi there

To be honest I have no idea.

I ordered my Superb with a £3270 discount (from £25840) on finance with 0.0% APR for 42 month, Skoda Assist and Breakdown as well, 3 years free servicing. The dealer first quoted me £260 p/m with £2000 advance and GFV of £9600, but I'm going to keep a bit longer than this and on my request the monthly payment for the same period is £320 p/m with GFV of just under £7500.

I'm not about comfort:). I had to decide between Superb and Octi III VRS TDI ...and Superb just won the contest. Probably because I test drove the Superb first and because of the 0.0% APR. There is a real difference in quality between them - just my impression. I don't see Superb as a luxury car is more of something in between I guess - apart from the huge space you got inside. I also have one kid and 3 bikes to carry around and also I don't fly, I never flown, so ... the Superb makes a lot more sense to me. If the Octavia VRS would of come with 0.0% APR on PCP contract then I would just gave in to the child in me - guess what yellow car I would have right now:).

Cheers