SE Plus 170 CRD - Had to have it!

YETIFIRST

I visited SMC Skoda in Exeter this morning to discuss a small problem with my 110 SE and, an hour later, had bought a low mileage 2012 SE+ 170. The 6 speed 'box obviously takes full advantage of the massive slug of torque and I was wondering if anyone can let me know what the 'mph per 1000 revs' figures are for the 170's gearbox ratios.

Thanks,

Richard

• Like 2

I visited SMC Skoda in Exeter this morning to discuss a small problem with my 110 SE and, an hour later, had bought a low mileage 2012 SE+ 170. The 6 speed 'box obviously takes full advantage of the massive slug of torque and I was wondering if anyone can let me know what the 'mph per 1000 revs' figures are for the 170's gearbox ratios.

Thanks,

Richard

Now that dealer has some salesman there! :sun:
  • Like 1

5.265892 9.498762 15.03971 21.57871 27.5728 32.652 5.514559

The above are mph for the 6 speeds and reverse. The speedometer will show more! So 35mph in 6th seems like what would appear. (Note 5th and 6th gears are overdrive using a second propshaft. Simply clever!)

• Like 2

5.265892 9.498762 15.03971 21.57871 27.5728 32.652 5.514559

The above are mph for the 6 speeds and reverse. The speedometer will show more! So 35mph in 6th seems like what would appear. (Note 5th and 6th gears are overdrive using a second propshaft. Simply clever!)

I used to have a Triumph Dolomite that had a little switch on the top of the gear lever that switched on/off overdrive on 3rd and 4th gears :blush: I also had a Triumph Bonneville T140V bike but that blew up but has no connection to this thread :giggle:

Thanks,

Richard

Congratulations for your buy! I do hope, that you'll enjoy the "upgraded" Yeti.

Best regards!

In the time I have had my 170 diesel I haven't really worried about ratios as it pulls in any gear with any amount of load in the car or hooked to the back, I quite often hit resume on the cruise when doing about 50 in 6th and it soon gets back up to speed.

Enjoy it.

I used to have a Triumph Dolomite that had a little switch on the top of the gear lever that switched on/off overdrive on 3rd and 4th gears

Was that a Dolomite Sprint? They used to go like **** until the first time that they overheated seriously and the head gasket went. Typical Triumph engineering, putting 4 valves per cylinder in the same sized head as the 2 valve. A real fun car when it was running though :sun:

Was that a Dolomite Sprint? They used to go like **** until the first time that they overheated seriously and the head gasket went. Typical Triumph engineering, putting 4 valves per cylinder in the same sized head as the 2 valve. A real fun car when it was running though :sun:

Didn't that have a Saab engine?

Fred

Didn't that have a Saab engine?

Fred

I do not think so Fred. It was developed by Triumph (BL) engineers using a single overhead camshaft and enlarged to 1998cc.

The original 1854cc engine was supplied to SAAB for the 99 model.

Transmission from Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the replies. During the test drive the speedo was reading about 5% fast at an indicated 70 mph. I often wonder whether tachometers are more accurate than speedometers, especially when I'm driving on a Gatso infested dual carriageway. When I was doing my mech eng training we used hand held tachometers to measure flywheel speeds (the chief engineer - ex Royal Navy - dished out punishment to anyone who called them rev counters) and they were guaranteed to be better than 1% accurate. I don't suppose that the car makers specify anything like that degree of accuracy.

BTW, a dual carriageway near me has 2 inconspicuous black and white banded posts on one side of the road. A local traffic PC told me that they indicate the start and finish of a measured mile and that it is used for a quick and easy check on their speedos! It's such simple and effective idea - some freeways in California use it but drivers are given plenty of notice that they are approaching a DIY measured mile.

Richard

Nope, mine was just a lowly 1500HL

I do not think so Fred. It was developed by Triumph (BL) engineers using a single overhead camshaft and enlarged to 1998cc. The original 1854cc engine was supplied to SAAB for the 99 model. Transmission from Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

The Sprint engine was arguably overly complex for its time using a single camshaft working the inlet valves and a rocker assembly the exhaust if I recall. Known as a slant 4 it was I guess half of a Triumph Stag engine.

I often wonder whether tachometers are more accurate than speedometers, especially when I'm driving on a Gatso infested dual carriageway. When I was doing my mech eng training we used hand held tachometers to measure flywheel speeds (the chief engineer - ex Royal Navy - dished out punishment to anyone who called them rev counters) and they were guaranteed to be better than 1% accurate. I don't suppose that the car makers specify anything like that degree of accuracy.

I think the problem is that legally the speedo cannot under-read. If you put in something that is accurate to, say, 1%, and then the tyres are pumped up to a higher pressure, or a different brand are put on that has slightly deeper tread, you might increase the distance travelled per revolution by more than 1%, thus making the speedo non-legal.

I do not think so Fred. It was developed by Triumph (BL) engineers using a single overhead camshaft and enlarged to 1998cc.

The original 1854cc engine was supplied to SAAB for the 99 model.

Transmission from Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

I had one, a dolomite sprint in red, it was a 4 valves per cylinder engines.

It sounded sweet but was clearly lacking sophistication compared to Japanese offerings.

Although the overdrive did work in 3rd and 4th gear.

Lovely shape and interior though.

My everlasting memory of it was being overtaken by one of my own rear alloy wheels whilst existing a roundabout on the A41!

Cause much consternation to the folks at the bus top the wheel was bouncing towards!

Alloy wheels in those days where just that with no metal sleeve on the bolt holes so each nut had to be tightened precisely with a torque wrench.

A factor I was not made aware of at the time, still no harm done, wheel retrieved and refitted.

Happy days!