Oh dear... I hit a bollard.

Me and my pocket rocket have had a unlucky first few months.

Totally my fault..

I was in a rush, pulled up to get some cash out at a supermarket ATM and for some crazy reason forgot I was in a Automatic.

(I drive manuals for work all week pretty much)

Unfortunately as stepped out the car lept forward with the handbrake on and slammed into a bollard at tickover speed before i could even jab the brakes...

Smashed nearside light, creased the bumper, damaged the LED light surround and buckled the headlight mounting bulkhead and nearside wing.

Just been to the body repair shop and they have said I need a new bumper, a wing respray as it needs to be straighten, new headlight and LED surround.

Upwards of 2K to fix.

Gutted to say the least! I was doing so well! I haven't crashed into anything since I passed my test 7 years ago.

On the plus side, the VRS held up pretty well considering.

I'm so angry with myself right now!

I dropped a hard plastic based work bag onto my boot in 2012 7 months after taking the wrapper off my new VRS estate. Gutted,so me and my OCD went to the Dealer (who I must say are pretty dam flawless so far) to get it sorted.

A month later I was rear ended on the M25 whilst stationary........Bugger it. :@

Sorry to hear that mate! I know its just a piece of metal at the end of the day but personally, I go to work to pretty much pay for my car so it sorta becomes more then just a object. I'm just waiting on the insurance company to authorise the repairs as my insurance and excess won't be no where near that cost even after a claim!

Lifes a bitch hey!

Well not really. I wasn't out of the car but that was my intention to get out but it happened even before I could get out. I reckon what I done was pulled to a stop put the handbrake on, then grabbed my wallet while the foot was still on there brake and then went to open the car forgetting that I wasn't in neutral/in a manual. Before I actually realised the car was already rolling towards the bollard and before I could even hit the gear level it was to late. It was a stupid thing todo and you could say it was careless but I just simply forgot that I was not in a manual.

Every car I've owned has been a manual and I drove a few automatics before hand but never for more than a day or so. So its second nature for me. Oh wells!

I feel for you, nightmare to end up with that sort of damage.

Worth bearing in mind that if you get out and leave the keys in with the engine running and some chav jumps in and speeds off with your pride and joy the insurance won't pay out....

There but for the grace of god...

Just so you know you ain't the only one!

Day 1 with new DSG, drove back from dealers, parked in drive, handbrake on, foot off foot brake - car lurched forward to within 3 inches of garage door.

Day 1 with new manual car (replacement for above) - car parked in drive behind SWMBO's. Got in, turned ignition - oops! forgot to put it in neutral - lurched forward and JUST touched SWMBO's back bumper :whew: . Then did it agan up against a wall at work...

But as others have said - don't leave your car with door open and engine running. Even though you are really close to it, these bu66ers are fast and will be in and away with your pride and joy before you know it. And the insurance will not pay out.

When I arranged the 7 day free cover for the new motor they made a point of telling me that theft cover only applied if the car was properly secured.

Yeah, I know don't worry. I know I'm gunna get a battering from a few on here who are obviously trying to point out that I'm a **** driver but I already admitted it was my stupid fault.

In response to it being illegal to leave the car running... everyone gets out there car with the engine running to run back into your own house or something if you've forgotten a item in a rush. its hardly a major criminal offence.

I saw a similar post about people leaving there car running to de ice unattended ... that was a major debate on the DS3owners club!

No ones a perfect driver even if they think they are! We are all human :). I haven't crashed into anything let alone another car since i passed my test (touch wood) and unfortunately the DSG caught me out.

Yeah I know what you mean though guys! Its a bad habit when someone could quite easily jump in and drive off! Totally agree!

In response to it being illegal to leave the car running... everyone gets out there car with the engine running to run back into your own house or something if you've forgotten a item in a rush. its hardly a major criminal offence.

No, I think you'll find that not everyone does do that.

Those of us who like to keep our cars take the keys with them.

It may not be a major offence but it is illegal - google quitting a motor vehicle

There is no need to get arsey about such a trivial thing. You obviously feel that it is not safe todo so in your area. I'm not denying its illegal, I'm not denying its a bad habit, I'm not denying its risky but you stabbed me with the first comment when I'm not even on here to talk about the legal standings of leaving your car with the engine on. Sure if it contributed to my mishap but the legal side is another subject that I can't really be bothered to discuss, as I mentioned, it started a feud between guys on the DS3 club (Nothing todo with me I may add).

I just thought I'd share my unfortunate experience with the some nice guys on here!

There is no need to get arsey about such a trivial thing.

To be fair, if the bollard happened to be a small 5 year old then it wouldn't seem so trivial. So I can kinda see the other side of the argument.

Sympathies for the car though. Wind blew our wheeliebin onto the bonnet the day after I got my Fabia. I could have cried.

No definitely but I didn't mean about leaving it in gear.. its illegal to leave you car unattended even in neutral. That what I was referring to.

I have learnt my lesson from the experience, swapping cars so much during the week doesn't help. When i first got the VRS i kept getting into manual cars doing it the other way around... trying to change in to what I thought was drive.. haha. Bit embarrassing!

Ahh sorry to hear that! Much damage?

Luckily, no. Just a dent that's now been there years. Not really cost effective to sort out as it's double skinned. Luckily most of the scratches polished out. I keep telling myself it's not my fault. But I always wish I'd parked a little further down the drive and it'd probably be fine.

Nothing worse than knowing it's something you can blame on yourself.

On a lighter note in my vrs mk1 I would regular coast up to lights/down hills etc in neutral to stop with just the one foot

First week in dsg pulled up outside me mams and forgot about the auto.put lever in neutral with left foot on brake thinking it was clutch

Almost sh#t myself.just glad there was nothing behind and I had the seatbelt on

Old habits die hard eh

Sad to hear about this :(

Currently running round in a Octy II 1.2TSI DSG loan car and you defiantly have to watch it if you're at a stop with drive engaged; lift the footbrake and before you know it she's off down the road like a scolded cat. Tried holding it on the handbrake after reading this and yes it fights it like no tomorrow.

As a side note I'm getting to quite like this engine/box combo but in this respect I'll be glad to get the manual back.

Oh my lad is also needing to get his Fabia through the local body-shop, after catching a low wall trying to get into a tight car park space; why he didn't try find another space instead I don't know :doh:

TP

Yeah! I guess you just have to adapt to what your driving and be more observant of what you are driving etc :).

Oh dear! Low walls are horrible because sometimes there is literally no indication they are there until its to late! How much damaged did he do?

Mines going in on thursday. They are putting a new wing, new bumper and new light in. Even a new LED surround that has slight grazing but tbh I'd rather that as its so new! Came to 1200 quid in the end which isn't as high as first though but still a massive blow to the wallet!

Scrapped and lightly bruised the offside rear door and the lower part of the arch; thankfully the arch is not distorted, just a small ding. Also needs a new stone chip foil. All in I believe he's been quoted around 260 by a small local independent paint shop.

TP