Octavia 3 and Skoda bashing

... I need a comfortable, relaxing, reliable and economical car for my long daily commute. The Octavia fits the bill perfectly ...

... If I need an adrenalin kick then I wheel out my sports car.

Sounds like me. I want a large, comfortable, reliable, economical, capacious load-carier and tow car as my everyday 'sensible' car. I don't mind if it's boring. Which is why I am considering an Octavia (am on my 3rd Citroen BX diesel estate at present, but they are now an endangered species).

If I want sun, fun, excitement or a car to pose in, I've got my sports car.

The Octavia is an excellent car and makes a brilliant job of doing what it was designed to do. It is not (and does not need to be or pretend to be) a Ferrari or an Aston Martin, and wouldn't be such a comfortable, spacious and economical everyday estate car if it was.

Horses for courses ...

Oh dear, this topic is starting to descend into something I had no intention of it becoming.

Let's all stay on topic and bash the snobs not bash one another, thanks!

I proffered an olive branch......

Edited by Timoctav

And no doubt the forthcoming vRS will be quicker, lower on tax and better on fuel.

Probably, though I'll have to wait a while to find out for myself, but I have a plan......

• Like 1

.......It is not (and does not need to be or pretend to be) a Ferrari or an Aston Martin......

Just as well, in the case of Aston Martin you would very rapidly be on first name terms with both your local filling station staff and recovery truck driver!

• Like 1

Hey guys, cool it.

If you think another poster is wrong or even foolish, ignore them. If you've made your point, you've made your point. It will remain on record. Other people can read the thread and will be able form their own opinion.

The loser is the person who thinks they have to keep an argument going and have the last word.

• Like 3

Cake, you say?

Just on the subject of Skoda and a fun drive... I LOVE my Monte and the way it drives and can honestly say it is the most fun car I've driven since I test drove a VW Scirocco when they first came out. (The new model, I'm not that old ;) )

It never fails to put a smile on my face with the way it pulls and handles... and it's saving me money, booyah!!!

Cake, you say?

Just on the subject of Skoda and a fun drive... I LOVE my Monte and the way it drives and can honestly say it is the most fun car I've driven since I test drove a VW Scirocco when they first came out. (The new model, I'm not that old ;) )

It never fails to put a smile on my face with the way it pulls and handles... and it's saving me money, booyah!!!

Cover all but a small bit of the back window and wear a hat with a really big brim pulled down low and it will feel just like a Scirocco.

Hey guys, cool it.

If you think another poster is wrong or even foolish, ignore them. If you've made your point, you've made your point. It will remain on record. Other people can read the thread and will be able form their own opinion.

The loser is the person who thinks they have to keep an argument going and have the last word.

I agree. I'm bored with it now! :think:

Some people on here seem far too defensive and sensitive about what someone says and thinks about Skodas, smacks of an inferiority complex, they are the ones with a problem rather than those that have unfounded prejudices about the brand.

You missed the point of my post. It wasn't me taking exception to the fact he was bashing Skoda or my brand loyalty or inferiority complex as you put it its about the supplier customer relationship. Hypothetically If you came to me as an IT professional with a Laptop you wanted cleaning up, I wouldn't say to you "why did you buy an Acer I would have purchased a Sony or HP. I might be thinking it but I certainly wouldn't say it to a customer I would keep my f**king opinions to myself and do my job. It would be different if the said Item was towards the end of its life and you wanted to point the customer towards a more reputable product for the future. Now in reality you have a brand new car that your probably going to have for a while and he's already putting it down based on his own preconceptions. Now if I was taking my vehicle to a professional detailer (fancy name for valeter) I would expect them to give it as much enthusiasm as if I'd taken in a Ferrari 458 itallia. If his minds not on the job I doubt you will get the same treatment. I just think its wrong in his position to say that. Your over inflated view of his abilities is making you defend his comments for some reason but it think if you put it in context by comparing it to another profession you will see that I'm making sense.

• Like 1

....but I asked him what he thought, not the other way round, so please desist from criticising when I asked his honest opinion and he gave it. To use your analogy, if I took my computer to an expert for repair or rebuild and I asked him what his honest opinion was of my piece of kit, would you be offended if he said "yes, very good, I'm actually quite impressed by it but personally I'm not keen on this processor or that hard drive"? Or would you expect him to say "oh, it's wonderful, I've never seen a better computer in my life, I must rush out and buy one"? If it was a Mac would you be offended if he said "yes, the Mac is a very nice computer but I'm a Windows man so I don't think I'd buy one"?

.....and he took as long to "detail" my Octavia as he did my Porsche 997. The end result of his hard days work is a car's appearance that is in a completely different league to when I collected it from my dealer. In my opinion, if not yours money well spent.

Detailing is a lot more involved than valeting, your comments would indicate that you don't really know what "detailing". involves - the klaying process in itself is skilled; a lot of amateurs try it and end up ruining their paintwork:

Stage 1

• Pressure wash wheel arches, clean wheels inside and out, and doors shuts using only natural cleaners.
  • No contact pre-wash using PH Neutral Snow Foam.
  • Wash car with Zymol Shampoo with pure lamb's wool wash mitt.
  • Rinse car using an Aqua Gleam De-ionising Water Filter.
  • Hand dry using soft drying towels.

Stage 2

• Klay bar bodywork to remove any surface contamination making paintwork ultra smooth.
  • Single stage machine polish (If required).
  • Carry out HD Cleanse process - this cleanses the paintwork ready for the wax to bond to the surfaces.

Stage 3

• The exterior is then finished using a Zymöl Glaze which will give your car a shoe finish and depth of shine.

Stage 4

• Full interior clean including; clean and condition leather, clean windows and dress tyres.

Anyhow, as I metioned in an earlier post on this thread I'm bored with this unfounded negativity, based soley on the fact that my "detailer" didn't go on his bended knees and pay homage to the Great God Skoda but committed the ultimate sacrilige by saying he wouldn't buy one.

So, please, do not try to continue this debate any further as from here on in it will go unanswered. You are entitled to your views, with respect, I am also entitled to mine - as indeed is my "detailer".

Edited by Timoctav

....but I asked him what he thought, not the other way round

That's not how you put it on your first post on the matter:

I had my car professionally detailed today. The detailer started by saying "I'd never buy a Skoda, why didn't you buy a Golf?

Which gives the impression you did not ask for his opinion.

Either way, you shouldn't be surprised on a Skoda specific forum, that you get a few raised eyebrows when you report these comments.

....but I asked him what he thought, not the other way round, so please desist from criticising when I asked his honest opinion and he gave it. To use your analogy, if I took my computer to an expert for repair or rebuild and I asked him what his honest opinion was of my piece of kit, would you be offended if he said "yes, very good, I'm actually quite impressed by it but personally I'm not keen on this processor or that hard drive"? Or would you expect him to say "oh, it's wonderful, I've never seen a better computer in my life, I must rush out and buy one"? If it was a Mac would you be offended if he said "yes, the Mac is a very nice computer but I'm a Windows man so I don't think I'd buy one"?

.....and he took as long to "detail" my Octavia as he did my Porsche 997. The end result of his hard days work is a car's appearance that is in a completely different league to when I collected it from my dealer. In my opinion, if not yours money well spent.

Detailing is a lot more involved than valeting, your comments would indicate that you don't really know what "detailing". involves - the klaying process in itself is skilled; a lot of amateurs try it and end up ruining their paintwork:

Stage 1

• Pressure wash wheel arches, clean wheels inside and out, and doors shuts using only natural cleaners.
  • No contact pre-wash using PH Neutral Snow Foam.
  • Wash car with Zymol Shampoo with pure lamb's wool wash mitt.
  • Rinse car using an Aqua Gleam De-ionising Water Filter.
  • Hand dry using soft drying towels.

Stage 2

• Klay bar bodywork to remove any surface contamination making paintwork ultra smooth.
  • Single stage machine polish (If required).
  • Carry out HD Cleanse process - this cleanses the paintwork ready for the wax to bond to the surfaces.

Stage 3

• The exterior is then finished using a Zymöl Glaze which will give your car a shoe finish and depth of shine.

Stage 4

• Full interior clean including; clean and condition leather, clean windows and dress tyres.

Anyhow, as I metioned in an earlier post on this thread I'm bored with this unfounded negativity, based soley on the fact that my "detailer" didn't go on his bended knees and pay homage to the Great God Skoda but committed the ultimate sacrilige by saying he wouldn't buy one.

So, please, do not try to continue this debate any further as from here on in it will go unanswered. You are entitled to your views, with respect, I am also entitled to mine - as indeed is my "detailer".

Words escape me I know this will do :zzz: