Window tinting recommendation, south Essex

Hi,

I am considering getting a tint added to my Steel Grey combi windows.

Has anybody any experience of this and got a recommendation as to who I should get to do the work, I am in south Essex.

What should I watch out for, what techniques/options are there for tinting?

Edit, I have the auto dim rear view mirror, what allowances do I need to make to keep that working?

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by leWrat

I have the sunset glass option on my car and auto dim mirror. It'll just work, provided you don't put on a silly amount of tint.

SWMBO had her TT done by Phantom Tinting in Swanscombe (Blue Water) and 16 months on they still look as good as the day they were fitted, highly recommended.

Her auto dimming mirror still work as intended also.

Thank you both.

I will give Phantom Tinting a call to get an estimate.

Now I just need to decide on the strength of tint to go for!

Out of curiosity, why tint? Is it a privacy thing or aesthetics?

For me it is a mixture, in order of priority:

UV protection

Reduction of sun glare and reduced heating when car is parked

Aesthetics

Privacy

So from the above you can guess that I won't be going for a very dark tint as I believe that the UV protection comes from the film layer regardless of the darkness of tint, though I need enough tint to try and reduce how hot the car will get sitting in a sunny car park.

What I don't want to do is make the car look like a gangster car or VIP limo so something like 35% or 20%, I will be taking advice from whichever company I use.

Still not 100% convinced as to whether I will go ahead, but giving it some serious consideration.

Please can those of you who have had their windows tinted please share the level of tint, colour of your car and if you feel that it was worth it for you?

Thanks.

This is Phantoms ‘Dark Smoke”

IMG_0447-edited.jpg

Before it was tinted (with my OE sunset glass in the background:

photo.jpg

For me they were tinted to keep the car cooler (the TT got really inside the car before due to the angle of the rear window, it is now noticebally cooler inside the car)

In reality the TT is a little darker than the OE Škoda sunset glass.

I have had two cars (but not my Superb) done by Pentagon Glass-Tech. Although a national company I found them good value and they use good quality tints whereas some of the budget companies don't. They have branches at Manningtree, Hainault and Enfield. I used the one at Manningtree. Even after 4 years neither car showed any sign of degradation or delamination of the tint.

Edited by Pesmog

Found my Combi got really hot on the couple of days we had enough sun, so splashed out on a set of blinds from Windesa. Expensive but a single piece rear window blind, didn't want a joint down the centre. Impressive fit and ok up to 50 with rear windows fully open to cool car down. Rear vision ok and can remove if I need to. Not easy to see into car from outside, so good when heavily loaded,

I already have the factory fitted blinds (they fit in the rear doors), however I do not think that they block the UK. Also they do not block the rear 1/4 windows or the back window.

Therefore I am considering the tinted glass option.

I think that a medium tint plus the side window blinds will give me what I want. :huh:

Sent via Tapatalk

Vanstyle also do a set of blinds that cover all windows except the front. Only drawback is that the rear window is 2-piece, so there is a join down the middle. Shades do block a lot of UV.

Thanks, I will take a look at them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta