Noise when selecting reverse gear

110ivan

Anyone has similar problems ?.Obviously with a stationary car , when going into reverse it seems that there is a crunching noise , when you put it into first or any other forward gear for that matter and then select reverse it slips in easily without any noises but otherwise it makes a horrific noise as if there's some teeth broken in some reverse gear , checked on numerous other new Citigo's and all are the same .. Has anyone of you experienced something similar , It's got 3000 kms now , just had it's first service so it ain't a case of a '' new '' car that still needs to be run in ..

First service , engine oil and filter change .. here in Malta we do first service at 3000kms and then yearly or every 10k , since we have just shot distances and quite a dusty polluted environment ...

First service?

I have seen 1 or 2 citigos with this. Its not a fault as almost every citigo I have sat in made it.

The noise is selector noise, meaning you can hear the gears coming together.

The only thing about ctigos is the lack of sound proofing so you can hear everything

What if you press the clutch pedal down and wait a second or two before you select reverse gear? This way the gears slow down a bit before engaging -> less crunch. If you wait too long, you may have to release the clutch pedal and try again.

Sounds normal to me anyway.

I had this with cars in the past.Fords,MGs and Triumphs. It used to help if i had a second stab at the clutch before selecting reverse. It never caused any mechanical problems so it did not worry me.

These days i only have automatics.I would not have a manual car again. I love automatics.

"2004 Skoda Octavia L&K Estate ASV (110BHP), Mr Muscled Turbo, EGR Delete and Elephant Mod running on WVO! Soon to put .216 Injectors..."

I get the part about 2004 Skoda Octavia, Laurin & Klement with only 110BHP etc but the rest is like a foreign language which needs translating! :think:

ASV? Does that mean it's some version of a 1.9TDi?

What's a Mr Muscled Turbo (It can't be like Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner can it?)

EGR delete? I finally found that this stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation

Elephant Mod running on WVO? This apparently is Waste Vegetable Oil.

.216 injectors? Different injectors to make your car faster?

I'm sure our Citigos don't have any of the above.

BTW thank goodness you don't call it an Octy!! When I had Sierra Cosworth Sapphires in the late 80's, I had an engine with Cosworth (Mike Costin & Keith Duckworth) emblazoned on the cam covers. It was never, ever a Cossie! :wall:

I know that but I was just interested in what 'whitep' had for his signature. "2004 Skoda Octavia L&K Estate ASV (110BHP), Mr Muscled Turbo, EGR Delete and Elephant Mod running on WVO! Soon to put .216 Injectors..."

• 2 weeks later...

emil is correct. You need to engage the clutch, wait a second, then select reverse. Obviously with the vehicle stationary. The complaint is more common on the Citigo/UP!/Mii but it is normal. And states the above instructions in the owners manual.

"2004 Skoda Octavia L&K Estate ASV (110BHP), Mr Muscled Turbo, EGR Delete and Elephant Mod running on WVO! Soon to put .216 Injectors..."

I get the part about 2004 Skoda Octavia, Laurin & Klement with only 110BHP etc but the rest is like a foreign language which needs translating! :think:

ASV? Does that mean it's some version of a 1.9TDi?

What's a Mr Muscled Turbo (It can't be like Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner can it?)

EGR delete? I finally found that this stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation

Elephant Mod running on WVO? This apparently is Waste Vegetable Oil.

.216 injectors? Different injectors to make your car faster?

I'm sure our Citigos don't have any of the above.

BTW thank goodness you don't call it an Octy!! When I had Sierra Cosworth Sapphires in the late 80's, I had an engine with Cosworth (Mike Costin & Keith Duckworth) emblazoned on the cam covers. It was never, ever a Cossie! :wall:

I had a Sapphire Cossie in 1997, H reg Graphite... mmm. Shame the front end found a lamp post. I ws relegated to 1.0l HLE metro overnight! :(

Also owners manual says it: To prevent gear noise wait a moment before selecting reverse gear. (translated from my language)

That's because clutch disc will spin some time even if you have pressed the clutch pedal.

I have also noticed that if you keep forward gear on until you stop, there's no noise at all when you select reverse gear. That's because clutch disc stops when car stops, if you have gear on.

Still this all is normal for manual gear box. I wonder where this hassle about Citigo/UP! gear boxes comes from.