1.6 Tdi tick over

My 1.6 Tdi (105PS) Monte's tick over is not consistent. As an example; I can be waiting at a junction, stationary, (A/C off) and the revs will sit at 1000 RPM, another time it'll drop to 800 RPM. This always seems to happen when the engine is warm and doesn't appear have any pattern to it. Is it something the dealer needs to look at, or will the situation improve with more miles on the clock (currently 820 Miles).

Any thoughts please?

Could be conducting a DPF regen - increased idle speed is one sign it's doing it.

I think mine is regular and the few times I've noticed it's high, I've had the stench of burning rubber when I finally stop (another regen sign).

• Like 1

You can sit when you are up to normal running temp of the coolant 88oC, then this starts to rise and the fan come on for the radiator to keep the temp down.

this can = higher RPM, no fan, lower RPM.

(same thing sitting with lights on, radio etc, battery starts to drop its charge,

Enticer does its job & alternator then charges the battery which is powering everything. = RPM rises.)

george

The maxi dot may tell you the oil temp.

Where the 'Coolant gauge' sits almost all the time showing 90*0c once up to temp, often never moves, so no better than just a light.

there will still be a fan or sometimes more coming on and off,

to keep the coolant near that 90*0c.

& the coolant is keeping the Oil Temp lower.

the Oil temp is often higher when running in a new car and the engine is still tight,

thats what 'running in' is mostly about, giving everything an easier start in life.)

george

• Like 1

I like the sound of the fan on with a high idle setting. I did give the car a bit of stick today and the weather was warm too. Never thought to check if the fan was running. Will check next time.

PDIBK, there's never been a smell of rubber and even though the mileage is low, it's nearly all been high speed driving so there shouldn't be any regenerating going on. Just out of interest though, why a smell of rubber when it's regenerating?

No idea. I just know I've had it a few times and others have said it's a regen thing. You wouldn't normally smell it, but I reckon I've stopped my journey immediately after it's happened.

The rubbery smell is diesel soot being burned to ash in the dpf. Even if you have been running your new diesel fairly fast, when new they do regenerate a bit more often as the engines tend to produce more soot when not run in. Also the ecu doesn't behave quite as normal with regard to triggering regens until it's properly learned what it needs to know so it runs from a basic map for a new engine which regens more than is actually needed. It will calm down as the miles go on.

• Like 1

I noticed same characteristics in wifes Monte tdi. Asked dealer about changing idle speeds. Was told it was due to diesel particulate regeneration. Often idles at 800 rpm when cold and 1000rpm when warmed up. Can sit at lights and will change 2 or 3 times in short space of time. According to dealer this is a normal characteristic.

• Like 1

They love to use the 'Regeneration' line these days, even when a car is not and can not be undergoing Regeneration and if it was there would be something wrong with it.

(they all do that sir, characteristic of the car!)

Car running nicely and sometimes its good to just enjoy it and the characteristic engine noises, tyre noise etc,

and sometimes turn up the driving music and drive.

george

George - Would love to listen to the characteristic engine note but just back from being recovered to dealers for 2nd time in 2 months by RAC. Cars only 8 months old, 7000 miles.

Highly recommend both Skoda Recovery and Replacement Car service. Just waiting for my replacement Golf. Got an i30 last time.

Fault in cooling system causes main fan to activate when car not being used. Does not go off till battery flat and that dosent take long.

Think the cooling fan has the same power as my Pandas engine.

Skoda diagnosis 1st time- bent pin on cooling fan connector.

Lets see what they come up with now!

• Like 1

sorry to hear that.

re the i30.

I loved a wee characteristic in the one a used to run, a 1.6tdi auto.

If you switched on the A/C it increased the revs and changed the gearboxes characteristics.

Just running around in town it was so much smoother and i used to switch it on and off to see just how much so.

On runs taking it easy the A/C did cost some loss of MPG.

But Handy,

If you were booting it up a hill say in the outside lane/crawler lane, and still had a Beemer right up your jacksy with no more go,

just push in the A/C switch and it just gave it a little extra oomph.

george

George - have found others on here with same symptoms as mine, see you've been talking to one of them - Stan. Hope mines sorted quicker than his. He has identical symptoms but apparently different possible cause.

• Like 1

My 1.6 Tdi (105PS) Monte's tick over is not consistent. As an example; I can be waiting at a junction, stationary, (A/C off) and the revs will sit at 1000 RPM, another time it'll drop to 800 RPM. This always seems to happen when the engine is warm and doesn't appear have any pattern to it. Is it something the dealer needs to look at, or will the situation improve with more miles on the clock (currently 820 Miles).

Any thoughts please?

I had the same thing when the car was new but only occasional now. Car now 8months old 14k miles, so it would seem to be only when new and low mileage that it happens.

I assume it's the same with an Ibiza FR 1.6 105 we had as a courtesy car.

The engine would normally idle at 800rpm. If you started to lift the clucth and move the engine would then idle at 900rpm to help stop it stalling etc then settle back to 800rpm once you come to a halt.

I also saw it once idle at 1000rpm after a drive and sat in traffic. I assumed this was a regen but there were no smells etc.

Phil

• 7 months later...

Evening All, Explanations please!!!

Car is a 2013 1.6 105bhp Scout. Current mileage just short of 14000.

Have read all the entries in this topic and find that mine too seems totally irregular as to it wanting 1000 or 800 revs at standstill or even whilst driving.

It seems to be set for a minimum of 1000 whilst moving and sometimes at 800 when stationary, but the 1000 whilst moving has caught me and the wife out a couple of time on tight corners around town etc when we expected 800ish or a slow tickover.

I have not been to the main agent yet, but can any one please explain to an old duffer just what is going on. Clearly by all reports it seems to be standard practice at least whilst new....but why?

Have read reports about regen and DPF from this forum but still non the wiser really.  Help please!!

Regards

Vince

This isnt nust on the newer 1.6tdi. My dad has a 2006 vw transporter with the 1.9tdi 105bhp (the 1.6 replaced this) and that does it too.

Often its been driven 15 or so miles, then stop at lights and it ticks over at 1000rpm. No idea why, cant figure it out at all

I don't understand how it can catch you out around town?  Are you letting it overrun with the clutch out, or is it DSG?

It may be anti-stall if you're just pootling around town.  Does it have start stop?  My wife's Golf is very reluctant to roll to a near standstill when approaching roundabouts etc, and feels like it wants to surge to prevent stalling.

It could still be re-gen.   If it "thinks" it is time to do a burn, to clear the DPF, then that could increase idle.

OR

It's the gremlins...

This isnt nust on the newer 1.6tdi. My dad has a 2006 vw transporter with the 1.9tdi 105bhp (the 1.6 replaced this) and that does it too.

Often its been driven 15 or so miles, then stop at lights and it ticks over at 1000rpm. No idea why, cant figure it out at all

Our 1.9 105 normally idles at 1000rpm from cold.

Once it's been running for a few minutes/miles it then drops to 900 then 800 rpm (well 827 to be precise- can be set with VCDS).

The other morning it was idling at 1100rpm as it had been stood a couple of days and it was really cold.

I think it's related to battery voltage and needing a higher tickover but also to aid in smoothing out the engine when cold and to aid in warm up time.

With the 1.6 it's definitely an anti-stall kind of feature. Just try sitting with the engine ticking over out of gear and off the clutch. The engine should be idling normally. Then put it into first and just start to lift the clutch and straight away the revs will jump to 1000rpm. Push the clutch back down and the revs drop again.

If it's "catching you out" round bends and in town then you are in too high a gear and the engine is pulling the car along.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

George - have found others on here with same symptoms as mine, see you've been talking to one of them - Stan. Hope mines sorted quicker than his. He has identical symptoms but apparently different possible cause.

I was one of the others suffering this and PM'd Stan.

Is yours sorted now?

Its not when his cold though. Its when its warm (15 miles or so) and out of gear so it isnt anti stall (i know what thats like because i used to drive a transit sport with it).

Maybe the batteries half shot then?

Does the 1.9 have a dpf?

Its exactly the same symptoms as the OP's on his 1.6

My Fabia diesel 1.6 CR 105 is just under 2 years old and is now in the garage for third time with persistent electrical faults, battery not charging in spite of alternator having been replaced under warranty, also many times, the heater fan stops working intermittently. ( turn engine off, restart engine and fan works again - but you can't do that on the motorway) Fortunately the last time I got a good video of the fault on my mobile phone and Skoda HQ are scratching their heads to come up with a solution. However, I digress, my dealer has kindly loaned us a brand new Skoda Rapid Elegance fitted with the same 1.6 CR 105 engine. Once warmed up this engine in the Rapid consistently ticks over at 750 to 800 rpm whereas in my Fabia it alway ticks over between 1000 to 1100 rpm. Another point of interest is that in the 200 or so miles of mixed motoring I have done in the Rapid I have averaged 67 mpg! this is incredible for a new engine which is not run in. Skoda claim an overall mpg of 64.2 mpg and in my short experience this is easily acheivable. In my Fabia, which has now done over 16,000 miles I am disappointed to still only average 55 mpg. My old Mark 1 with the 1.9 PD engine averaged 60 mpg and I did 100,000 miles in it over 10 years, with no time off the road other than normal servicing. So why do we have to put up with a car which ticks over at 1000+ rpm and acheives nowhere near the manufacturer's claimed overall mpg when they can get it right in the Rapid? My latest Fabia has so far been 4 weeks off the road and as you can imagine I am not a happy bunny. I am just hoping that they offer me an incredible trade in on my unreliable Fabia and let me keep this Rapid which will be far more economical to run. (motoring journalists have also got over 70 mpg on long runs in diesel Rapid)

Maybe the rapid is more aerodynamic at motorway speeds though? Helping you get better mpg? The fabia isnt exactly a slippery design is it haha.

Im not saying that accounts for all of the difference in consumption. Buy maybe a little bit of it?