Trolley jack and axle stand location

Hey up,

If anyone is jacking up their car soon are you able to take pictures of exactly where you put the trolley jack (pictures of the jack and any pucks used would be amazing)

And where you put the axle stands.

I know i’m asking for a lot but if you can show front and rear locations that would be amazing!

Quality pictures as well 😀

Cheers 👍

5 hours ago, AlVal said:

Same next to all 4 wheels. Where you see the lip is "thicker" 

IMG_20210309_172222.jpg

That’s the standard jacking points, is this where you use your trolley jack, if so do you use the hockey puck to protect the sills from crushing?

Also where do you put the axle stand?

i use a puck with my trolley jack - prevents the sills from getting crushed.

axle stands r further in, away from the sill.

c pics below.

rear axle stand position (remove the plastic cover):-

jack_03.thumb.jpg.0aed465ff81f091e32fbc62d887adee6.jpg

front axle stand position (remove plastic cover):-

jack_05.thumb.jpg.3f36642d657f12cfd358482ef2dfa7cf.jpg

Screenshot_20191204-081026.thumb.png.dfd4148262c2fcaab9445067fdbe2a49.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, though that panel area seems scary to me.

i saw a trolley jack pad from power flex which looks stepped so taller one side than the other which looks like it’ll be perfect, I have emailed them to confirm first though.

Is your axle stand flat? Mines more like a V shape but not fussed if I need to buy more. I need to buy a new trolley jack anyway because when I used it on my Passat the back of the trolley jack lifted in the air :o 

What I don’t understand as well is when Skoda lift the cars it looks like it’s done on the sills but just use flat pads and doesn’t cause any damage. Is that because it’s lift at all 4 points and load is spread?

7 hours ago, Danoid said:

Thanks, though that panel area seems scary to me.

i saw a trolley jack pad from power flex which looks stepped so taller one side than the other which looks like it’ll be perfect, I have emailed them to confirm first though.

Is your axle stand flat? Mines more like a V shape but not fussed if I need to buy more. I need to buy a new trolley jack anyway because when I used it on my Passat the back of the trolley jack lifted in the air :o 

My axle stand has a V-shaped head, but its only as wide as the chassis points.  So no issues.

I use this puck on my trolley jack.  Works well, and it's not tall to compromise the trolley jack's clearance height.

646789083_Screenshot_20210311-0825332.thumb.png.f9ecbe6b01207797a359e77bab5b2fc7.png

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Unless the puck / groove depth is exactly the height of the narrow sill part all the weight is still being put into the bottom part of that narrow sill part. Ie no point to the puck other than not scratching paint? The thicker sill at the jacking points prevents the collapse. 

The scissor jack has the groove so Joe public gas a greater chance of lifting via the structural bit ( i beleve!)

I use my trolley jack directly on those points. No issues. 

Didnt know about the axle stand points though.

12 hours ago, Chazzy said:

Unless the puck / groove depth is exactly the height of the narrow sill part all the weight is still being put into the bottom part of that narrow sill part. Ie no point to the puck other than not scratching paint? The thicker sill at the jacking points prevents the collapse. 

The scissor jack has the groove so Joe public gas a greater chance of lifting via the structural bit ( i beleve!)

I use my trolley jack directly on those points. No issues. 

Didnt know about the axle stand points though.

Quite likely yes those sills r trolley jack safe.

I use the puck to my advantage to add height so the trolley jack lifting arm doesn't foul against the Rieger side skirts I have.

I have proper old school trolley jacks (one is nearly as old as me) with large lifting crutches, I managed to find some rubber pads big enough but they dont have the groove, what they do though is deform enough to spread the weight across 150mm of the cill bottom and also the horizontal sections above but they dont fracture the plastic undertray which they also sit under.

I have finally after all this time found a safe way to lift the car to support it on 4 axle stands safely, I position it under the cill about 12" back from the front jacking point and lift the whole side of the car, this is much safer than doing it in 2 bites especially when you get to the other side and on a sloping drive like mine, there is no deflection of the cill under the load when using the large rubber pad and it leaves no marks afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

So i’m still a bit confused and surprised there’s not more replies as people are doing their rear brakes on here.

So just to confirm, use trolley jack on the sills with a hockey puck adaptor, 100% correct?

If you don’t have a death wish and not just doing a tyre change you should be using an axle stand, but where?

I’m guessing for the fronts you’d put the axle stand here? (If the picture does not post online, it’s the one with the rubber bung) If you do put your axle stand here do you remove the bung first, then place axle stand with a protective top?

For the rears I can see a cover, I’ve only tried to remove it with my fingers and couldn’t but I’m going to guess it’s like the front with a rubber bung, either way is this where you put the axle stand for the rear?

5E05B652-F256-429E-996B-1A4A3781945F.jpeg

E1B45F36-D726-4AD5-BDB1-277E54193B5B.jpeg

@Danoid those spots r correct for the axle stands.

For the front - nothing to remove.

For the rear - use a flat head screwdriver to pry out the cover downwards, from the sides.  There r 4 grooves, 2 on each side.

42 minutes ago, JR RS said:

@Danoid those spots r correct for the axle stands.

For the front - nothing to remove.

For the rear - use a flat head screwdriver to pry out the cover downwards, from the sides.  There r 4 grooves, 2 on each side.

Do you remove the bungs first then put the axle stands there? Last thing I want is them to pop in and rattle around.

I forgot to say I looked at my 2016 Superb and don’t see that panel you posted in the first picture at all, how odd

57 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Do you remove the bungs first then put the axle stands there? Last thing I want is them to pop in and rattle around.

I forgot to say I looked at my 2016 Superb and don’t see that panel you posted in the first picture at all, how odd

As I explained, before - for the front there is nothing to remove, while for the rear u need to pop the cover off first.......as shown in my first pic, with the cover already off!!

It's the same area as in ur second pic.

14 minutes ago, JR RS said:

As I explained, before - for the front there is nothing to remove, while for the rear u need to pop the cover off first.......as shown in my first pic, with the cover already off!!

It's the same area as in ur second pic.

I mean the rubber bung, do you actually remove it to put the car on axle stands then put it back on when finished?

This bit here

2867E56A-70FC-45AB-B6DE-66B32FEF2F88.jpeg

I’ve zoomed in on your picture with the cover off, I thought it was a rectangle hole and not exactly like what I posted haha whoops. Me thinking it was rectangle was hoping it would mean we could use one of these like on the Audi S3, that’s why when I looked I was disappointed to see I didn’t have that panel you removed

FAE89AC2-9A53-45F2-9276-ACABCDEF9DD2.jpeg

Edited by Danoid

On 02/04/2021 at 00:19, Danoid said:

I mean the rubber bung, do you actually remove it to put the car on axle stands then put it back on when finished?

This bit here

2867E56A-70FC-45AB-B6DE-66B32FEF2F88.jpeg

I’ve zoomed in on your picture with the cover off, I thought it was a rectangle hole and not exactly like what I posted haha whoops. Me thinking it was rectangle was hoping it would mean we could use one of these like on the Audi S3, that’s why when I looked I was disappointed to see I didn’t have that panel you removed

FAE89AC2-9A53-45F2-9276-ACABCDEF9DD2.jpeg

Yes I'd remove the plastic bungs at the front, they just pop back in.

• Like 1

I've never removed the front rubber bungs the 3 or 4 times I've had the front up on axle stands.

It's not needed to b removed.

• Like 1