The Handbrake

For a brief moment then I thought you were talking about the engines fitted inside French cars!

Haha :) So true.

Merging the two subjects, there was a recall for Renaults because the electronic handbrake was activating itself while the car was driving.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=94FA4DB95CC8EC3B8025771B00448E1A&freeText=Blank&tx=VOSA

You're more of an opportunist then.

Haha... perhaps I am... :think:

However, I never intented to turn this thread into a discussion on gender politics, so sorry

if my "joke" (an effort at least...) distracted, and sorry if this reply adds to it.

This is not about me either, even if a thread just about ME B) on a public forum had been nice...

hmmmm... So perhaps I am both an oppurtunist AND narcissist...? :o

hmmmmm.... AND ironic too...

*peace* :)

Why is it on the wrong side so the passenger can use it?

This always used to annoy me on Audis.

Pay £50k plus and they can't even be bothered to fit a right hand drive centre console.

They just leave the left hand drive one in.

Yet Skoda previously have changed them for different markets.

I know my Yeti has one. The handbrake is in the correct place near the driver.

The cheaper models just have the handbrake in the middle, such as the Citigo and Fabia.

Why on earth has Skoda suddenly decided we no longer want to use the handbrake unless risking touching up the passenger (like an Audi driver) ?

Considering it's an ideal private hire car and you could have a big lump in the passenger seat I don't get it.

(as you may have guessed, I popped into a showroom today)

My audi is RHD and its handbrake is located nicely on the drivers side!

Some of us don't like them?

Plus, going from repair bills I've seen for them, they would have upped the price of the car by £1000 ;)

Sorry, I find regular handbrakes a good safety feature, perfectly suited for their task and see no reason to replace them with an expensive overcomplicated gizmo that may or may not work when you need it.

I will not buy a car with an electronic one.

have you driven a car with one for a considerable time?

My audi is RHD and its handbrake is located nicely on the drivers side!

Must not be brand wide then, the TT-RS I tested had it touching the passenger's leg.

Must not be brand wide then, the TT-RS I tested had it touching the passenger's leg.

yeah i think some have it on the correct side but most dont, i checked mine when you commented lol

my A5 was the wrong side

Some of us don't like them?

Plus, going from repair bills I've seen for them, they would have upped the price of the car by £1000 ;)

Sorry, I find regular handbrakes a good safety feature, perfectly suited for their task and see no reason to replace them with an expensive overcomplicated gizmo that may or may not work when you need it.

I will not buy a car with an electronic one.

I find the one in the Sharan pretty good.

When it engages it uses a ratchet system, so just as good as the mechanical version.

I'm not saying ban this sick filth :) Its just not to my liking, lets not make this like an automatic/manual gearbox argument. Though, along those lines, I wonder how many would be specced if they were made an option?

Whatever parking brake mechanism they put in the Octy III, they put it on the wrong side.

it is also the case in the superbs. in my MKII Superb Taxi the handbrake and bonnet handle are on the passenger side, i have had a rather (shall we say) heavy boned man in the front seat, we were on steep hill and i had to stop due to heavy traffic when i was about to apply the handbrake i then found out it was inaccessible, so i had to hold my foot on the brake and then when we had to move off had to let the clutch up to a heavy bite and then quickly off the brake and onto the throttle, and this had to happen about 3 times, very bad design flaw and i am surprised the new octy suffers from it too

it is also the case in the superbs. in my MKII Superb Taxi the handbrake and bonnet handle are on the passenger side, i have had a rather (shall we say) heavy boned man in the front seat, we were on steep hill and i had to stop due to heavy traffic when i was about to apply the handbrake i then found out it was inaccessible, so i had to hold my foot on the brake and then when we had to move off had to let the clutch up to a heavy bite and then quickly off the brake and onto the throttle, and this had to happen about 3 times, very bad design flaw and i am surprised the new octy suffers from it too

All that room in the back and you let him in the front! :giggle:

• Like 2

Got HHC for these issues

I feel a handbrake protest coming on  :devil: Surely the question should be 'WHY HAS IT GOT A HANDBRAKE AT ALL!!!'

New Golf = in effect no handbrake. How come?

Well this 'electronic handbrake' does everything for you ie YOU NEVER NEED TO USE YOUR HANDS TO OPERATE A BRAKE

It comes on and goes off automatically, it's one of those wonders of modern technology, along with lighter bodies and smaller capacity engines....

And it frees up space in the centre console!

Sorry guys I'm obviously suffering from handbrakeitous....... I think I need to leave you all alone and go and buy another Golf.....  :rofl:

• Like 1

Got HHC for these issues

ive got a S spec superb and didn't spec HHC, as for the E handbrake, how the hell are you meant to use that on a hill 

start? i prefer the normal mechanical brake, and i was looking at a 12 plate S spec Passat from Arnold but when i seen it has the E handbrake it scared me right off and the normal brake suites me to a tea

• Like 1

... as for the E handbrake, how the hell are you meant to use that on a hill start? ...

Keep your hands in the steering wheel (other activities are also possible).

Press on the accelerator while simultaneously lifting the clutch.

When sufficient power is delivered to the wheels to allow them to turn, the car moves forward as the parking brake automatically disengages.

Simples.

After 4 years in an Audi A4 (manual), I really like it.  When I get my Octy3, that is going to be one of the few features I will miss.

Other opinions exist; I have seen references to potential cost of repair being a problem, but usability is definitely not an issue.

ive got a S spec superb and didn't spec HHC, as for the E handbrake, how the hell are you meant to use that on a hill

start? i prefer the normal mechanical brake, and i was looking at a 12 plate S spec Passat from Arnold but when i seen it has the E handbrake it scared me right off and the normal brake suites me to a tea

If you have hill/auto hold, you've essentially got most of the workings there already.

If you have hill/auto hold, you've essentially got most of the workings there already.

I was going to say the same thing. Theres a middle ground between regular manual handbrake and a full electronic one and thats the computer holding the real brakes. My lass' car has hill hold and I do quite like it. I'd be happy with and cant think of a good reason not to, for the car to just keep holding the brakes when you've stopped until you press the accelerator, like an automatic e brake can. But you will still have the manual backup to use if you have to and for parking.

My alfa has both sort of  ( and amazingly it works!)  so it has a manual handle but also has hill hold..so on a certain angle hill if you dont engage the handbrake but keep your foot on the brake pedal, then when you want to move off you lift your foot off the pedal and it holds for for a few seconds..you just drive off and it disengages..sounds like the same as huskoda above

Yep, the Kia has exactly the same setup. I was talking about the car always holding the brakes for you if you stopped, on the flat or on a slope, like an automatic electronic handbrake. But without its downsides.