Creaky Sun Roof On L & K Yeti!

Pasquale

It's getting a bit tedious and predictable too.

It seems Bob is determined (an others) to do it.

It irritates me but I put up with it as in general it is a marvelous forum.

And please no..... if you don't like it 'go away'....why should I?

Agreed, its totally tedious and has simply ruined a good number of, otherwise interesting posts. It's the single reason I've not spent as much time in the Yeti section as I used to. Smut regarding gear knobs, bobs corner and lube etc... I work with over 1200 11-17 year olds and I find their conversations far more mature. Unfortunately, having seen certain comments recently we all seem to get tarred with the 'pedantic' and now 'immature/innuendous' tag. :( Shame as I actually used to enjoy logging in and heading straight to the yeti section for a catch up.

Anyway, mike, I'd be heading to the dealer either way, good luck in getting the problem resolved. :)

• Like 2

Dear All,

Thanks for all your comments, I now have a better insight into the issue and trust the dealer, Looker's will know what to search for this Friday. I will keep you all updated on what they discover. In the meantime, I know it's a little sad but I've attached an MP3 recording of the noise made (Not in very good quality I'm afraid) captured via a smart phone held quite close to the sunroof, in closed position when travelling about 30mph.

Enjoy.

Thanks,

Mike

Yeti L & K Sunroof Creaking.mp3

I will keep you all updated on what they discover. In the meantime, I know it's a little sad but I've attached an MP3 recording of the noise made (Not in very good quality I'm afraid)

Mike that's decent quality enough to hear something major is wrong there. Yikes. Mine has never made that sort of noise. I hope they find it.

The noise/creak is almost all the time, it was dry at the time of the recording as it could be mistaken for heavy rain...

Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago but it seems to be getting worse now. I have opened and closed the sunroof to temporarily remove the noise but I'm leaving it closed now to ensure the dealer can witness it. I've had the radio on louder than normal to distract me from it.

I'm hoping everything will be resolved so not worrying too much.

Thanks,

Mike

TIBET I began to creak but was adjusted/lubricated by Allams at its next service and the noise didn't reoccur.

Now TIBET II has just started doing it - but it's off to Allams next week for its first service so will get a bit of TLC from them then.

I find an occasional spray with a silicone aerosol really good no mess. Plenty on Amazon... :happy:

Silicone.jpg

Edited by looby

Hi,

Just to let anyone know who was following this topic on the outcome, that you will have to wait till at least 15th July. They said it wasn't straight forward and would have to remove the roof liners etc. and it could take up to 2 days work and as they only work half day Saturday they didn't want me riding around in a Fabia all weekend!

I think it's an excuse really and they were busy, but I did get a free bottle of washer wiper fluid and next time I don't have to bother setting up my own insurance for the courtesy car and will use theirs for free.

Will update this post in a few weeks.

Many thanks,

Mike

• Like 3

The sunroof on my Yeti started to make a creaking sound (only when it was closed) one week before the warranty expired; Allams of Epsom fixed the problem promptly by cleaning and lubricating it.

• Like 1

Never had a problem of the magnitude present in the mp3 recording, however my sunroof does sometimes creak slightly when going over bumps etc. I have come to the conclusion that thermal expansion and contraction are the main reason, as we do tend to get quite a bit of heat over here (it's currently around 30 deg C, quite a mild day...) As this goes away as soon as I tilt open the roof and the close it again, I figure that it's the seals moving against each other while the roof expands or contracts while closed, which then start creaking if left at their "moved" positions.

Definitely keeping the Gummi Pflege in mind though, may come in handy to keep the seals nice and soft.

Edited by gcp

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just to let you all know the outcome of my creaky roof I had a few weeks ago. With all this glorious weather were having I've been driving with the sunroof open in some fashion nearly everyday, however on the morning it was due in at Lookers, Stockport this week I had it shut and to my astonishment there was no creak, not even a peep. I explained this to the service people and asked them to examine it anyway and in any event (after a reading a number of replies here) asked them to ensure they applied sufficient lubrication to the mechanism's etc.

After 2 days, Lookers advised they could find nothing wrong and have lubricated the joints/seals etc. Now the car's back I've tested the AC with the sunroof closed and still no noise, fingers crossed it's gone for good.

I wanted to make sure everything was ok for our road trip to visit relatives in Sicily (2000 miles one-way) but thinking about it I'll hopefully be driving around with the sunroof open so it shouldn't be an issue anyway!

Many Thanks,

Mike

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Until last week I had the dreaded sunroof creak, and it had gradually worsened from "now and again" to "all the time". The car is in its 3rd year of warranty, so I thought it was about time to get it sorted. It didnt creak at all with the roof open, and nor did it when I had roof bars on, and also wasn't too bad on smooth road surfaces. I put it in to Prestons at Chelmsford, who do my servicing. They found a roof rail bolt loose, and also something not fiited properly on the sunroof mechanism (caused by a local dealer to me we think, when trying to fix a leak...a long story!), which we were hopeful would cure it. Unfortunately it didnt, so they had it back again and re-fitted the roof on a whole new runner assembly, and although it has only been about a week, so far we're creak free! 

I think mine creaks from the contact between the leading edge of the roof and the pop up fly catching net. If you watch the roof close there's a 'bumper' on the roof that pushes the net down as it closes.

I am thinking that this contact point remains after the roof is closed, with upward pressure form the net against the bumper. I applied some gummi bears to it a while ago - just the corner of the net and it seemed to go away for a bit.

Its back again now so I will apply a bit more when I next wash the car.

Never had a problem of the magnitude present in the mp3 recording, however my sunroof does sometimes creak slightly when going over bumps etc. I have come to the conclusion that thermal expansion and contraction are the main reason, as we do tend to get quite a bit of heat over here (it's currently around 30 deg C, quite a mild day...) As this goes away as soon as I tilt open the roof and the close it again, I figure that it's the seals moving against each other while the roof expands or contracts while closed, which then start creaking if left at their "moved" positions.

Definitely keeping the Gummi Pflege in mind though, may come in handy to keep the seals nice and soft.

Still no creaks etc. on mine, but I have noticed if you use the Gummi Pflege on all the rubbers as I did, you do get a lot of difficult to remove oily streaks down the length of the car when it rains. I may have put to much on and perhaps should not have used on the outside windows rubbers/trim etc

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Sorry for not updating this topic earlier as the problem was only resolved last week - hopefully. It took Lookers (Local Skoda dealers) 4 attempts though to discover the sunroof was not set correctly in it's housing. I'm unsure if any long term damage has been caused to the seals or sunroof but as I have 5 year warranty trust this won't be an issue. 

I hope mine is a 'one off' but Lookers did suggest (On 3rd visit) that there has been something called a TPI, a trigger I believe when a certain number of vehicles have reported a similar fault which called for lubrication to the seals etc., but this was not successful in my case.

Apart from this, car's is going fine with over 10,000 miles on the clock now. (3,500 completed though on 2 week trip to see family in Sicily!)

Many thanks,

Mike

:happy:

• Like 1