The Duster is Renault's best selling model

Wow... they sure have a hit on their hands here:

http://www.thetrutha...ts-best-seller/

I like its honesty but suspect a new interior and a better nose will help this car's sales a great deal.

Nissan will also get a version called the Terrano.

http://www.carscoops...-new-dacia.html

Nissan-Terrano-Sketch.jpg

I do get the appeal but I couldn't own one.

People used to say JUST that about Škodas not that many moons ago... :giggle: And some poor souls still do.

• Like 2

I don't like it that's all. Plus the normal prejudice of French being unreliable and cheap feeling. The badge isn't really a problem. But then again if Dacia made their equivalent of a Clio/Twingo RS it would be interesting. Still cheap and missing loads of things inside but good enough and most importantly light.

Our family bought Skoda when they first started getting good and took a "gamble". That car turned out to be a proper Friday car but when it worked was fantastic. Bought my first Fabia vRS because of it.

Perhaps there's a mistake somewhere - this is a Terrano - meet Peg:

Like Škoda, Nissan will just reuse an old name. :giggle: Cheaper than to invent a new one.

There was an old joke from the pre 21'th century Skoda era:

"How do you double the value of a Skoda ?

You just top up the fuel tank..."

As being born in Romania and lived there until age of 9, I can still remember well those rear engined Skodas on the streets of Bucharest. Also the old Dacia 1100 and 1300.

In the late 80's they (1300 model / Renault 12 replica) were imported to Israel as "Dacia Delta" and brought bad reputation to Dacia. In the last few years, the Logan was imported here, but obviously under the brand of Renault - because of the trauma left by Dacia on the local car market !

BTW, Duster is not imported here...

• Like 1

Like Škoda, Nissan will just reuse an old name. :giggle: Cheaper than to invent a new one.

Many do, but they usually wait a decent period, though, so that the older model is effectively defunct. Lots of real Terranos around still :clap:

Wow... they sure have a hit on their hands here:

http://www.thetrutha...ts-best-seller/

I like its honesty but suspect a new interior and a better nose will help this car's sales a great deal.

Nissan will also get a version called the Terrano.

http://www.carscoops...-new-dacia.html

Nissan-Terrano-Sketch.jpg

Well, I have to admit that looks really good! No one can argue that the Duster is pretty good value for money and that's why they're selling like hot cakes. If that Nissan version makes it to production I'm sure they will also do very well. I would certainly add it to my list of possibilities when time comes to change. :)

Duster IS great value for money at base spec - option it and it doesn't make sense; plus - they are not a very good drive, they are a bit tinny, and "Duster" - not a great name, next will be "Dishcloth" or "Pantry" - who wants to drive a car that reminds you of household implements :-)

Of course the French are unaware of the implications of the name "Doostaire" ......

• Like 1

This perhaps is a new version looks good but sadly it just looks same as new Pathfinder. Wiki says Nissan JOKE is old Terrano's sucessor.

Whilst on the French theme, just what were Renault thinking of when they named that little weird open top thingy the 'Wind'?

Imagine the scene down the pub: A load of your mates talking about cars (as usual) and you get asked about your new car and they ask what have you got, and the only answer you can give is "Wind". The p*ss taking would last forever! Lol!

• Like 1

Too low safety rating to even think about putting a loved one inside it, however cheap it may be. We did look at one until that point, though.

The safety rating is artificially lowered due to an airbag sticker, it is really a 4 star car in terms of protecting you in a crash.

Not perfect but not the 3* suggested.

The safety rating is artificially lowered due to an airbag sticker, it is really a 4 star car in terms of protecting you in a crash.

Not perfect but not the 3* suggested.

And when you look at the detailed percentage scores, there's not as large a gap between three and five stars as you might expect.

• Like 1

NCAP is such a specific concoction anyway. Yes it gives some measure of safety but only for VERY specific crashes - for which all cars are now specifically designed to pass. Have a crash 10 degrees further to the left of centre at 6 mph more and the results will be quite different. Or not. You just don't know. There are way too many factors in a crash to predict if you will get out alive. So personally I'd much rather concentrate on the electronics to prevent the accident to begin with. ESP is top on the list and I guess the Duster should have this as standard now being sold in the EU?

You will be safer in your Duster than in an old banger any day. So as Dr Z said, the differences aren't as acute as people think.

EDIT: just checked the Dacia website and ESP is NOT available on the basic Duster and a £350 option on the top model. How do they get away with that?!

• Like 2

ESP is NOT available on the basic Duster and a £350 option on the top model. How do they get away with that?!

From this BBC article (and easy to corroborate easlewhere online): "From November this year [2011], every time a car manufacturer introduces a new model [my emphasis] in the EU it will have to have anti-skid technology called Electronic Stability Control fitted as standard. From 2014 ESC will have to be included on every new car." According to Wikipedia, the Duster has been available in Europe since 2010. ESC is therefore not mandatory on new Dusters until next year. Not too long to wait, then...

I do like french cars - they do joie de vie better than anyone else - and I really do hanker after a renault 4 safari

The Duster is made in Romania, using a version of the Nissan-Renault B0 platform. Calling it "French" is about as valid as calling the Yeti "German" because Skoda is part of VAG and it uses the same platform as the Mk 5 Golf.

Oh, and <pedantic> the phrase you're looking for is "joie de vivre" ie "joy of living", rather than just "joy of life"</pedantic>.

And on the subject of life, French cars still have a bit of a reputation for not having very long ones...

(As the old joke goes: Heaven is where the cars are German, the food is French and the policemen are English. Hell is where the cars are French, the food is English and the policeman are German.)

• Like 3

According to Wikipedia, the Duster has been available in Europe since 2010. ESC is therefore not mandatory on new Dusters until next year. Not too long to wait, then...

Ah ok! Nice explanation. Until then, fork out the £350 for ESP I say.

• Like 1

NCAP is such a specific concoction anyway. Yes it gives some measure of safety but only for VERY specific crashes - for which all cars are now specifically designed to pass.

Well quite.

My dads car was broadsided by a drunk middle aged woman in an Mercedes at about 35mph in just the last 12 months (blew a 129 reading).

He walked away with a bit of whiplash and lungs full of that airbag cruft.

All things considered a very good result If you add in it was a citroen xsarra picasso he was driving and the NCAP score that vehicle has (especially the pole test results).

His car missed the lamppost (http://bit.ly/122tzyw) but ended up crushed against the wall.

The lady in question didn't even brake at all and, as usual with these things, didn't have a scratch on her either (travelling right to left), dad was going down the hill.

The worrying thing was she told the police she was travelling in the opposite direction.

I doubt any modern car would have provided a better "result" for the occupant so as you say it's all relative to where the impact happens.

This is part of the reason i'm not as hung up about ncap as some people are.

When stickers and labels start becoming relevant to the overall score it's harder to take it seriously.

Anyway she doesn't have a license anymore.