Wierd noise after fitting FMIC...

Hi Guys

I fitted a fmic this weekend - Seat Sport kit with pipework from Darkside.

I am used to the normal whooshing sound when on boost but now its making a very high pitched noise, the only way I can think to describe it is when you have a balloon blown up, you pinch the edges and the high pitched sound it makes. I thought it might be a boost leak, I have re-checked all the clamps, made sure nothing is loose but it still happens.

I have also noticed that the sound of the engine when driving sounds a lot deeper, is this normal?

Thanks

I did check there was no grease etc in each join and made sure it was a dry fit?

Sometimes if there's grease or oil it wont seal properly. I had the same issue on my glanza. Took 10 mins to degrease all the joins and it was fine since. What clamps are you using? Jubilee or mikalor?

Day

You need a compressor and a kit with a pressure gauge. the kit is basically silicone pipe large enough to go over the intake ( air filter end or right down on the turbo).

You then put your compressor on the end and fill up the system. put boost leak tester into eBay.

Ok, so it sounds like it is definitely a boost leak and just need to track down where exactly. Only problem is I don't really want to take all the bumper off again etc. as it was a mission lol

I used the clamps that came with the kit, they weren't Jubilee - they were more the style of Mikalor clamps.

I certainly hope it isn't a hole in the new intercooler :sweat:

Also, how hot should the metal pipes get? I'm worried about the pipe that runs to the egr valve as one of the pipes to the fuel pump runs over the top of it

Thanks for all the replies

Guest BigJase88

Pre intercooler the pipework will take your skin off!

After intercooler the cooler the better! It wont be an issue

If you've replaced all the piping as part of an intercooler kit one of the common causes of the whistle can be where the sensor is mounted, I spent ages on mine taking the bumper off again and tightening joints only to find it was the sensor, drove me round the bend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you've replaced all the piping as part of an intercooler kit one of the common causes of the whistle can be where the sensor is mounted, I spent ages on mine taking the bumper off again and tightening joints only to find it was the sensor, drove me round the bend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How did you secure it in the end? I have 2 8mm bolts screwed into mine - there were tight but may need checking again?

Glad it's not just me then. I fitted my seat sport intercooler and darkside pipes three weeks ago and i am having the same problem but only for the first 30 seconds of driving. I've tightened all clamps and checked the joints which improved the noise but its still not 100%

My thinking was that the noise is from the hot side of the intercooler because its as though something expands and seals the leak.

How did you secure it in the end? I have 2 8mm bolts screwed into mine - there were tight but may need checking again?

I just used blue gasket sealant lightly round the seal when I put it on, if its anything like mine was the hole was huge in comparison to the size of the sensor? It's not just a matter of how tight you do the bolts, sometimes the aftermarket finish against the standard sensor just isn't perfect and it only tiles the smallest of gaps to have the thing whistling like a blown turbo!

Guest BigJase88

Glad it's not just me then. I fitted my seat sport intercooler and darkside pipes three weeks ago and i am having the same problem but only for the first 30 seconds of driving. I've tightened all clamps and checked the joints which improved the noise but its still not 100%

My thinking was that the noise is from the hot side of the intercooler because its as though something expands and seals the leak.

Do you also have a lack of power when cold? My pd150 does this,

Sounds wooshy when cold and goes slow as anything! Then when half warm the issues resolved

Do you also have a lack of power when cold? My pd150 does this,

Sounds wooshy when cold and goes slow as anything! Then when half warm the issues resolved

Yeah but only for half a mile or so then it stops and its back to full power.

The car also has a pd150 turbo fitted and has no obvious leaks from the turbo or manifolds

Guest BigJase88

Yeah but only for half a mile or so then it stops and its back to full power.

The car also has a pd150 turbo fitted and has no obvious leaks from the turbo or manifolds

Yeah mine does this

Can't get to the bottom of it! Whooshy and like a snail for half a mile then goes like fluff once warmed up! Done it since i've owned it and i've changed almost every sensor

I just used blue gasket sealant lightly round the seal when I put it on, if its anything like mine was the hole was huge in comparison to the size of the sensor? It's not just a matter of how tight you do the bolts, sometimes the aftermarket finish against the standard sensor just isn't perfect and it only tiles the smallest of gaps to have the thing whistling like a blown turbo!

The fitting was quite tight when i pushed the sensor in, but I will take it out and run some sealant around the flat edge and re-install.

When first fitted I only heard the noise twice, but now its everytime im on boost - whether hot or cold.