MDI and Bluetooth Retrofit

Hello all,

Another question from me :)

Got a Columbus on order along with MDI and bluetooth integration.

Looking at the pics and instructions for these retrofits it would appear both daisy chain on the quad lock connector for the Headunit.

Is this so? So I would have 3 sets of Quadlock connectors?

I've done a search and can only find retrofits of one or the other not both.

Thanks in advance :)

Nick

you can end up with several joined together and not much room

Radio > MDI Loom > BT Loom > Factory loom

I made a combi BT & MDI loom to save on space

Octavia has a bad design behind the radio with a lot of sharp metal frames

you can end up with several joined together and not much room

Radio > MDI Loom > BT Loom > Factory loom

I made a combi BT & MDI loom to save on space

Octavia has a bad design behind the radio with a lot of sharp metal frames

I thought this might be the case.

If I've got both leads are they fairly easy to combine into one?

Rewiring and soldering is something I'm good at :)

Not knocking the Columbus its an ace unit but had you got an Amundsen + you'd have had potential for Bluetooth and DAB/DAB+ radio without the need for external modules....will acknowledge that they are greatly preferred to the standard Amundsen and as a consequence difficult to get hold of at sensible cash.

I thought this might be the case.

If I've got both leads are they fairly easy to combine into one?

Rewiring and soldering is something I'm good at :)

KBphoto has done just this and so has eddie on reading his post. Worth a pm to them, both are very helpful.

But as eddie says all three in a chain works and there is room if you lift out the top box. I know this as I have done it myself recently.

Adam

It is possible to have MDI, BT & CD Multi-changer on one loom with a bit of chopping and soldering.

The 'My GTI' website has the necessary info on pinouts, etc. to be able to work out what goes where when combining looms.

Hi all,

I actually combined the MDI and BT looms onto the original quadlock connector.

Worked out well, out of interest where is the factory location of the two controllers?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

I actually combined the MDI and BT looms onto the original quadlock connector.

That would save space behind the HU, but I bet it was fiddly to do!

out of interest where is the factory location of the two controllers?

MDI goes behind the glovebox (see my recent thread about fitting it with the mounting bracket) and BT goes under the driver's seat with microphone in overhead cabin lights.

It wasn't too fiddly as I pulled the loom out to the side and did all the wiring within the passenger footwell then pushed it all back in.

Okay so I understand the MDI controller that's cool, but with the BT controller, it just lays on the floor under the drivers seat?

Cheers

Okay so I understand the MDI controller that's cool, but with the BT controller, it just lays on the floor under the drivers seat?

Not quite that bad...

There are various options: the 'foam' block that comes with most kits which the black box sits (upside down) in and velcros to the carpet. Some have found that the glue dries out and the velcro detaches or the velcro simply does not grip causing the whole box to slide around.

The OE option is the official bracket for FL Octavia and the plastic cover from Skodateile (when the web-shop reopens). The bracket screws to the floorpan (holes already there in the carpet and the floorpan) and the plastic cover clips to the metal bracket.

I actually went for the pre-FL bracket for a FL controller and modified it to suit. This meant that I could get the carpet cover (as opposed to the plastic) and also keep the way open if I get a pre-FL BT controller chew at some point.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Well after the mdi to glove box cable finally arriving as the seller took 3 attempts to send me it I now have a question.

Is there supposed to be a receiving piece of trim for inside the glove box?

Cheers

Nick

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

There is one yes and it is cheap from the dealers. There is also a glovebox with the hole pre made but I just cut my existing one carefully. There is a thread on here with the part numbers as I recall.

Adam

This thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/281317-mdi-mounting-bracket-fitting/?fromsearch=1

I too cut my own hole in the glovebox but wish I'd put it in the dash top box...

You may also want to read my thread about fitting the MDI bracket as this may influence your choice of location for the flylead trim when you get it.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/281317-mdi-mounting-bracket-fitting/?fromsearch=1

This was the thread I meant:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/168370-mdi-retrofit/

Good fitting thread kb, I was lucky to get the bracket at the same time as the loom and box so I didn't run into the same difficulties with the lead position but I had a hell of a job cramming it all in to the space I had available where those stupidly long studs were. One thing for sure, it isn't going to rattle!

This is also useful information if you want to retain the aux in and cd changer.

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/7113-install-rns510-media-in-mdi-interface-into-centre-console/

Adam