Yeti collection road trip

MarieK

So I drove for 80 miles today, went all the way up to snake pass and back. I find the seat very comfortable, the sunroof is a godsend in the heat. I'm getting to know the columbus unit with regards to satnav, music etc

My one gripe at the moment is I feel I could do with a bit more oomph sometimes. Maybe the 1.2 is tad underpowered for me  :wonder:

It may just be the winding roads here, when I slow down into a bend and accelerate coming out of it sometimes there's nothing unless I change to 3rd gear (I'd have got away with 5th or at worse 4th with the juke). It could just be me getting to know the car, I'll have a better idea when I'm back on familiar roads on Skye though.

According to maxidot I'm averaging 40mpg although I know its probably not the most accurate method of calculation. I'll work it out when I need to refuel.

Oh and they have chipped the road near me this morning. I could've cried when I heard all those chips battering my poor Snowy but I think he's ok as we went slowly  :whew:

Surprised you have found the little 'un underpowered. I am sure it will loosen up soon and you will find it is ok. I got my first bonnet chip on the way back from Wales whilst on holiday 2 weeks ago. Some prat in a white van overtaking me at about 50 mph on a newly chipped road, all the signs saying slow 10mph loose chippings, but this is to be expected from the mentality of the white van man, so be wary.

What about the ride, comfort etc etc. how does it compare to the Juke?

Did you release the handbrake?

Good job the satnav is working okay?  Had visions of getting a report from Bristol... Did you hear the true story a few weeks ago about a woman who set off across Brussels using a satnav and ended up in Zagreb two days later? Absolutely true.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2262149/Belgian-woman-67-picking-friend-railway-station-ends-Zagreb-900-miles-away-satnav-disaster.html

And how's the 12-speaker soundsystem? Nice?

• Like 1

The waiting is getting unbearable... but hearing about the joys of new ownership from MarieK is brilliant. Keep the reports coming please. All the little details, impressions, discoveries etc. Brilliant. I'm hanging on every post...

BTW, did you sleep in Snowy last night like a kid with new shoes?

Oh yes, a serious question. If you look at the Yeti from dead ahead, can you see the exterior mirror indicator repeaters, or are they only visible from the side or a three-quarter angle. BTW...Don't forget to put the handbrake on if you stop to get out and check for me!

My one gripe at the moment is I feel I could do with a bit more oomph sometimes. Maybe the 1.2 is tad underpowered for me  :wonder:

It may just be the winding roads here, when I slow down into a bend and accelerate coming out of it sometimes there's nothing unless I change to 3rd gear (I'd have got away with 5th or at worse 4th with the juke). It could just be me getting to know the car, I'll have a better idea when I'm back on familiar roads on Skye though.

According to maxidot I'm averaging 40mpg although I know its probably not the most accurate method of calculation. I'll work it out when I need to refuel.

It is a small unit for a big car, so there is a little bit of a trade off in the higher gears.  Probably more noticable on hilly winding roads.

My wife's averages 40mpg and her maxidot is only 0.1mpg out.  Unlike my diesel that is several mpg out.

• Like 1

Marie,

I think part of the process is adapting from diesel to petrol-you may be using the rev range as if it were a diesel. Depending on the corner but with some ancient memories of peak district driving to go on it may be third gear would always have been more realistic.

PenTom,

Anything I come across with the Daily Mail cited as source I would regard as in need of verification

• Like 1

Did you release the handbrake?

Good job the satnav is working okay?  Had visions of getting a report from Bristol... Did you hear the true story a few weeks ago about a woman who set off across Brussels using a satnav and ended up in Zagreb two days later? Absolutely true.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2262149/Belgian-woman-67-picking-friend-railway-station-ends-Zagreb-900-miles-away-satnav-disaster.html

And how's the 12-speaker soundsystem? Nice?

The sound system is good. A song with a lot of bass came on and for a second I thought there was a marching band behind me  :giggle:

The waiting is getting unbearable... but hearing about the joys of new ownership from MarieK is brilliant. Keep the reports coming please. All the little details, impressions, discoveries etc. Brilliant. I'm hanging on every post...

BTW, did you sleep in Snowy last night like a kid with new shoes?

Oh yes, a serious question. If you look at the Yeti from dead ahead, can you see the exterior mirror indicator repeaters, or are they only visible from the side or a three-quarter angle. BTW...Don't forget to put the handbrake on if you stop to get out and check for me!

Exterior mirror indicator repeaters? 

It went up to 28C after I posted.

Coolest place is the car with aircon.

Went to Chatsworth but it was too damn hot to walk around the gardens for long. Tried inside the big house but it wasn't much cooler. Hence the pub  :rofl:

Yes I'm collecting the car on monday. I'm obviously in yeti country as I've seen loads of them today  :rock:

I've been in Buxton at the fringe with my new Yeti wonder if we pased each other?

Regarding stone chips Marie, I went up north to Ramsey yesterday, and like you have experienced, DOT are doing every mile of the TT course with the darn things.Just a couple of chips on the rear-arches Drivers side, but can soon rectify that.It,s not your speed going over them, it,s the motorists coming the other way that cause the problem.

Time for a serious look at some 3m film Me thinks!!!!!

Tony

I've been in Buxton at the fringe with my new Yeti wonder if we pased each other?

I've passed several yeti but dont remember any muscovado ones.

Regarding stone chips Marie, I went up north to Ramsey yesterday, and like you have experienced, DOT are doing every mile of the TT course with the darn things.Just a couple of chips on the rear-arches Drivers side, but can soon rectify that.It,s not your speed going over them, it,s the motorists coming the other way that cause the problem.

Time for a serious look at some 3m film Me thinks!!!!!

Tony

Yes I'd quite like to get Snowy home unmarked then I can look at options for protecting his 'vulnerable bits'  :giggle:

• Like 1

They seem to be doing quite a lot of road chipping around the Chesterfield Matlock Alferton areas over the last few weeks. I nearly cried when I had to drive down one, very carefully, only to have an idiot drive past on the over side at best part of 45 mph. The effect was like a machine gun.

Marie,

I think part of the process is adapting from diesel to petrol-you may be using the rev range as if it were a diesel. Depending on the corner but with some ancient memories of peak district driving to go on it may be third gear would always have been more realistic.

PenTom,

Anything I come across with the Daily Mail cited as source I would regard as in need of verification

I was waiting for someone to say that!  :giggle:

Torygraph anyone?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/9798779/GPS-failure-leaves-Belgian-woman-in-Zagreb-two-days-later.html

Or the Croatian Times

http://www.croatiantimes.com/news/General_News/2013-01-14/31716/Belgium_woman's_GPS_sends_her_to_Zagreb_instead_of_Brussels

• Like 1

Exterior mirror indicator repeaters? 

The turn signal flashers built into your exterior overtaking mirrors.

The turn signal flashers built into your exterior overtaking mirrors.

Pentom you can surely just do a Google Image search?  Where you will find pics like this:

skoda_yeti_184x4_0812_nose.jpg

Back OT:  glad you're enjoying the beastie MarieK.  You should start finding little off-road lanes for us in Skye ta.  We will all be coming to visit very soon!!!   :giggle:   (I've only ever seen Skye on Grand Designs with the Coffin House.  Looks AMAZING!)

• Like 2

Out with the old, in with the new :)))))

My new toy is now sitting proudly on our drive

16 weeks from order to delivery, but 5 of those were due to DVLA taking so long to transfer the plate.

33D2A0B2-372E-45BC-ABDD-802DBE983785-166

Well pleased.

The DSG is as smooth and quick as I expected it to be.

It's got a bit more grunt than the 110 and feels quite a bit quicker accelerating from a stop.

Over the moon with it.

It's just a shame I'm not allowed to drive it till 23rd July.

• Like 3

Marie - very glad you have your monster.  The 1.2TSi is a little gem of an engine but completely different to a diesel.  Use lower gears and higher revs and you will grow to love it.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this earlier and I reckon that is the answer.

I've got used to a diesel engine and driving around in 6th. I think my last petrol car was a 1.4 honda jazz and was a 5 speed gearbox (about 6 years ago).

So I will amend my driving to suit the petrol, probably only use 6th gear for cruising. I'll quickly get used to that again now that I know  :happy:

Pentom you can surely just do a Google Image search?  Where you will find pics like this:

skoda_yeti_184x4_0812_nose.jpg

Back OT:  glad you're enjoying the beastie MarieK.  You should start finding little off-road lanes for us in Skye ta.  We will all be coming to visit very soon!!!   :giggle:   (I've only ever seen Skye on Grand Designs with the Coffin House.  Looks AMAZING!)

But can you see them flashing from head on?