Yeti collection road trip

MarieK

Tom, yes you can.

I often look head on when checking its locked from indoors.

Too lazy to go outside to check.

• Like 1

Thank you. It was a serious question and it just seemed like the perfect time to ask as MarieK will have been in and out and up and under Snowy like anything. I suppose I could have just started a new thread... 

By the way, what's this GOOGLE thing Johann mentioned?

Now, can you see the difference between my sensible questions and my NSS ones?  :giggle:

BTW, this thread says everything about what a lovely, lovely load of folks you are. Heartwarming.

• Like 2

Morning MarieK! and Snowy. How are you finding the 17-inch wheels and tyres for ride comfort and handling? What make of tyre did it come from the factory on?

Out with the old, in with the new :)))))

My new toy is now sitting proudly on our drive

16 weeks from order to delivery, but 5 of those were due to DVLA taking so long to transfer the plate.

33D2A0B2-372E-45BC-ABDD-802DBE983785-166

Well pleased.

The DSG is as smooth and quick as I expected it to be.

It's got a bit more grunt than the 110 and feels quite a bit quicker accelerating from a stop.

Over the moon with it.

It's just a shame I'm not allowed to drive it till 23rd July.

Did you go blue to brown or brown to blue? I've got a pic just the same! me blue to brown, pic too big to upload will do some at a smaller size. 

Did you go blue to brown or brown to blue? I've got a pic just the same! me blue to brown, pic too big to upload will do some at a smaller size.

I went the opposite way to you.

Brown to blue.

The Yeti sticker on the boot of the old one is the giveaway.

Got one for the new car, which will be going on today :)

Morning MarieK! and Snowy. How are you finding the 17-inch wheels and tyres for ride comfort and handling? What make of tyre did it come from the factory on?

The tyres are Pirelli P Zero Rosso.......I had to go out in my PJ's to check for you  :giggle:

The ride comfort has been ok so far, I'll have a better idea of comparison when I get back onto the Skye roads.

I will be sourcing winter tyres to put on from October/November as I found they made a big difference on the Juke. I haven't decided whether to get 16" wheels for winter or just to get 17" tyres and have them swapped onto the alloys. 

• Like 1

I'm not due to leave here until Friday morning, but I'm thinking of heading off home early tomorrow morning.

I'm keen to get Snowy home and give him a wash, settle him in his new compound. Its a bit hot here for both of us, we're used to cooler temps and winter coats  :giggle:

It looks like the sun is going to follow us home but it should be a few degrees cooler.

I have them on my 140 4x4 as well and seem to think they are a fair bit noisier than the Dunlops on my last Yeti. Especially on the rough single track roads up here.

Whilst I loved the roads on Skye, I don't think my Fabia did. Wonderful scenery... but a huge pothole broke an alloy, and a logging truck kindly flicked up a golfball-sized rock which "chipped" my windscreen. I say "chipped"... I could poke a matchstick through the hole it made. 

The road towards the northern end of the isle, which goes up and over the hills is fabulous. Had a golden eagle fly over the car on our way up. Can't imagine you'll be short of locations to photo "Snowy" up  there!

Trying to remember where the really mad roads were... I think they were on the southwest end. Really twisty, single track and undulating - like driving on a mad, tight rollercoaster track. Great fun! Must get the Yeti up there - it seems about perfect on the roads on Mull.

I will be sourcing winter tyres to put on from October/November as I found they made a big difference on the Juke. I haven't decided whether to get 16" wheels for winter or just to get 17" tyres and have them swapped onto the alloys. 

Plenty of threads on this Marie...  Or just go here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/213-tyres/

You will find the consensus is that 17" winter rubber is difficult to find, has limited choice in brands and is thus frightfully expensive.  The 16" size is the most popular in all of Europe so lots of choice and much, much, much cheaper.  So just get some steel wheels. 

The tyres are Pirelli P Zero Rosso.......I had to go out in my PJ's to check for you  :giggle:

The ride comfort has been ok so far, I'll have a better idea of comparison when I get back onto the Skye roads.

Hi MarieK

TP wrote a very helpful post on winter tyres some time ago if you can find it.

But be careful I contacted my insurance (Castle) about fitting winters and was told they would have to be SK approved, I then contacted SK UK and was informed they only recommend 16" rims for winter tyres.

Begs the question why fit 17" from new? but this issue is a bit contentious and has been covered loads of times before.

Glad you enjoyed your trip and I believe you will notice a difference in the engine when you have a few more miles on the clock.

Bob

....why fit 17" from new? but this issue is a bit contentious....

The issue isn't really contentious, Bob - just one that has provoked some deep discussion.  Very deep.  :x

• Like 1

Yes I've seen the threads which is why I now have the information about 16" wheels in the first place.

I dont know if I want steel wheels on for half of the year though  :wonder:

Anyway I'll look into that later. Its too hot to worry about just now  :sun:

• Like 1

Two earth tremors in Gairloch very recently felt on Skye. Hope all is well for you!

Something beautiful to photograph on your way back, an adult Rose-coloured Starling at Camaschroisd, Sleat.

(I know them as Stinky Pinkies... doesn't really do them justice!)

And let's not derail this thread by going into those deep discussion again...   :giggle:

Agreed, Johann.  Note that it wasn't me who raised the subject :notme:

Yes I've seen the threads which is why I now have the information about 16" wheels in the first place....

See?  Marie found it helpful!

• Like 2

Two earth tremors in Gairloch very recently felt on Skye. Hope all is well for you!

Something beautiful to photograph on your way back, an adult Rose-coloured Starling at Camaschroisd, Sleat.

(I know them as Stinky Pinkies... doesn't really do them justice!)

The earth moved and I missed it?  :giggle:

• Like 1

The issue isn't really contentious, Bob - just one that has provoked some deep discussion.  Very deep.  :x

Having had both 16" on my previous Yeti and 17" on the present one I have found very little difference in all round normal road use and would be quite happy to have either again, but I did prefer my previous Dunlops to the present Pirellis which I'm finding a bit noisy.

But at the end of the day its all down to personal preference and I would not criticise anyone for their choice. :happy:

Sorry for going off topic subject closed.

• Like 2

I went over Applecross in February in the snow, in the Yeti. Was ok going up as the road had been ploughed, but on the way down it had just snowed heavily, and I had to use HDC to get down. Worked well and didn't require a change of underwear at any point.

This is near the roads on Skye I was thinking of, I think.. was back in 2010, and we were only there for 2 days, alas.

SKY_IMG_9312.JPG

Edited by Duck_Pond
  • Like 1

Hi MarieK. So it seems the wait was well worth it. 

I went from a 2.0 diesel to the 1.2 petrol in my Yeti and it did take a few days to adjust my driving style to the new engine and I was also surprised at how quickly you go up through the gears. But once I had made the adjustment I really do prefer the drive I get with the Yeti compared to my previous diesels. (It's as good as my Peugeot 405 diesel from way back, and that's a considerable compliment).

Regarding your earlier post about the sound system......

The sound system is good. A song with a lot of bass came on and for a second I thought there was a marching band behind me  :giggle:

I think you will find the cure to the problem is to remove the "Best of Fleetwood Mac" CD from the autochanger. (Younger readers may need to Google Fleetwood Mac and look for Tusk).

Hope you and Snowy enjoy the rest of your holiday together!

• Like 2

I went over Applecross in February in the snow, in the Yeti. Was ok going up as the road had been ploughed, but on the way down it had just snowed heavily, and I had to use HDC to get down. Worked well and didn't require a change of underwear at any point.

This is near the roads on Skye I was thinking of, I think.. was back in 2010, and we were only there for 2 days, alas.

SKY_IMG_9312_th.JPG

Sorry the pic is a bit small, do you have a bigger version?

Hi MarieK. So it seems the wait was well worth it. 

I went from a 2.0 diesel to the 1.2 petrol in my Yeti and it did take a few days to adjust my driving style to the new engine and I was also surprised at how quickly you go up through the gears. But once I had made the adjustment I really do prefer the drive I get with the Yeti compared to my previous diesels. (It's as good as my Peugeot 405 diesel from way back, and that's a considerable compliment).

Changing gears so often in the 1.2 model, sounds like hard work. So glad I went with the 7 speed DSG box in my 1.2. You hardly notice any sound when the gears change and the speed keeps up with what ever you throw at it. Best investment on my car I feel by a long way

• Like 1