Fuelly shows less petrol being used

jonceebee

Three fill ups with our trip to South Wales in the last 10 days. Fuelly is showing 44.3 mpg but the Yeti readout is showing 40.8 mpg over the last 1500 miles, which do you think is the more accurate. I must admit I am impressed with the economy of this little engine and the average only dropped to 40.3 on the section of motorways, and built back up again over cross country roads.

I'm now up to 1200 miles with three brim-to-brim fills. The MFD has been consistent showing at 39.6mpg at each fill but the calculated mpgs were 36.7, 40.7 and 38.6, a true average over the 1200 miles of 38.6mpg, so pretty close. The higher 40.7 coincided with a couple of longer trips (80 and 1200 miles appx. - I don't get out much!!)

Like Jonceebee I've been very impressed with the 1.2 petrol (mine has the manual box), not quite as economical as my previous diesel (around 44mpg) but soooo much more fun! 

Three fill ups with our trip to South Wales in the last 10 days. Fuelly is showing 44.3 mpg but the Yeti readout is showing 40.8 mpg over the last 1500 miles, which do you think is the more accurate. I must admit I am impressed with the economy of this little engine and the average only dropped to 40.3 on the section of motorways, and built back up again over cross country roads.

Your fuelly data looks wrong.

1.  What are you doing to get variation between 26 and 59mpg.  In 30yrs of recording every tankful I have never had variation as wide as that.
  2. What are you running on?  Petrol does not cost between £1.56 and £1.63 per litre.

My 1.2 manual has now done about 3000kms and has been brilliant, but.... the running average on the MDF (mem 2), is 8.1 l/100km or 35 mpg!! - I got 39mpg once (on memory 1). Not very pleased with this at all. We live out in the country and occasionally do a bit of motorway but I've not got a heavy right foot; hope it improves.

My 1.2 DSG is showing 41 mpg on the maxidot long setting. Over two years it shows about 38/9 in the winter and 40/41 in the summer. Tank to tank recently (summer) it is about 39/40. So I reckon maxidot is about 2.5% optimistic (the following figures are maxidot)

My driving mixture is mainly 10 mile journeys, largely rural/suburban, with the occasional longer trips. I  usually take it gently and cruise along - you don't gain much on a 10 mile journey by speeding!  If I push it on rural roads I loose 2 to 3 mpg, and over about 65mph on motorways the mpg falls below 40mpg, unless it is a really long hot journey.   I think these are phenomenal figures for such a punchy little engine. Cruise control/DSG/1.2 TSI are a great threesome! 

• Like 1

My 1.2 DSG is showing 41 mpg on the maxidot long setting. Over two years it shows about 38/9 in the winter and 40/41 in the summer. Tank to tank recently (summer) it is about 39/40. So I reckon maxidot is about 2.5% optimistic (the following figures are maxidot)

My driving mixture is mainly 10 mile journeys, largely rural/suburban, with the occasional longer trips. I  usually take it gently and cruise along - you don't gain much on a 10 mile journey by speeding!  If I push it on rural roads I loose 2 to 3 mpg, and over about 65mph on motorways the mpg falls below 40mpg, unless it is a really long hot journey.   I think these are phenomenal figures for such a punchy little engine. Cruise control/DSG/1.2 TSI are a great threesome! 

Yes I agree with your comments about the engine, economy and performance. I have deleted all info from Fuelly and will put in again from receipts to ensure I did not make a mistake some where. As soon as this is done I will reinstate in my signature

My 1.2 manual has now done about 3000kms and has been brilliant, but.... the running average on the MDF (mem 2), is 8.1 l/100km or 35 mpg!! - I got 39mpg once (on memory 1). Not very pleased with this at all. We live out in the country and occasionally do a bit of motorway but I've not got a heavy right foot; hope it improves.

Just a thought:  perhaps you may be changing gear later than you need to?  In my 1.2 DSG, on moderate acceleration, the engine rarely goes above 2000 rpm, and I can hear the turbo working hard, but if I was driving a manual, I'd never think of running at such low rpm in a petrol.  Lower engine speeds give greater economy.

• Like 1

Just a thought:  perhaps you may be changing gear later than you need to?  In my 1.2 DSG, on moderate acceleration, the engine rarely goes above 2000 rpm, and I can hear the turbo working hard, but if I was driving a manual, I'd never think of running at such low rpm in a petrol.  Lower engine speeds give greater economy.

I tend to drive around 2k most of the time - the digital gear indicator on the manual flashes an arrow to change up for best economy and I'm usually there or thereabouts when changing gear. On the motorway it's nearer 3k so that would lower the overall consumption a tad - would have expected it to get closer to the 6.4 l/100km combined consumption posted figure than my 8.1 ......

The drawback with spritmonitor is that, as far as I can see, only the final figure is shown in mpg.  There's a lot of info there on the chart ( as http://www.spritmoni....html?cdetail=1 above) but it's all in metric - most unhelpful to us Brits, especially those of us who still remember £sd with some affection :| .  Hence my choice to use Fuelly, but I do keep a PC record of fuel too. 

The drawback with spritmonitor is that, as far as I can see, only the final figure is shown in mpg.  There's a lot of info there on the chart ( as http://www.spritmoni....html?cdetail=1 above) but it's all in metric - most unhelpful to us Brits, especially those of us who still remember £sd with some affection :| .  Hence my choice to use Fuelly, but I do keep a PC record of fuel too. 

You see in metrics, because I set it in this units, but you can change it to your units...

Create an acount and set your profile with the units you want to see, and that's it!

I guess you can change this preferences without an account...

Have a look to this link:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/my_account/units.html

Then go again to my profile:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/573856.html

Hope it helps

Edit: I have tested it and it's not working... You must create an account... (free, of course)

Edited by cpa

Yes this is true of the DSG box in drive mode, it rarely goes above 2k revs. Put it in S drive mode and the revs. increase and the fuel economy goes down. In all my years of driving I can honestly say it is the only automatic that seems to offer better fuel economy if driven as the gearbox wants