Poor mpg 1.9tdi pd 130bhp

Ok I can't see any leaks however I i spray carb cleaner in that area when engine is running the engine almost stalls?

isnt the air box next to the fuel pump? if its running the vapour will be sucked in to the engine .... it will have the same effect as easy start etc and can stall the engine

Mine seems to be leaking from the fuel return at the bottom of the pump.  No leaks from the end plate.  Thanks for the link, mine is listed as having the metal gasket.  Haynes mentions making sure the pinion is aligned with crankshaft on refitting of the pump.  Is that easy enough to do or are there any pit falls on reassembly?.

Edited by RAPTURE

I was spraying directly on to the tandem so it must of been vapor going to airbox. Couldn't see any leaks however it's very dirty around pump. Might call seat see if there is indeed a recall.

Ok I can't see any leaks however I i spray carb cleaner in that area when engine is running the engine almost stalls?

I''m not a chemist but I think many carb cleaners are related to something which years back were uses as fire suppressants     nothing to do with easy start      sort your egr first

Do ideally Need to clean inlet. Or can I get away with just doing egr? I have been installed a new map which has egr disabled. But obviously if it's stuck open/closed it will need cleaning.

I also performed a liquimoly diesel purge and car definitely feels smoother and much quieter when giving it the beans.

I will try and clean egr today and spray some contact cleaner on the maf aswell.

If it's very mucky/oil around the pump then that can indicate a leak. I got some degreaser and cleaned the whole area round there first. I spotted the leak straight away then.

Phil

It was leaking from the hole at the front top of egr valve as I cleaned the outside yesterday and today it was doing the same. I have sealed the plastic and rubber pipe to egr with instant rubber gasket so if there was any leaks that should solve them in that area. Any idea thou why the egr leaks from that hole? I see it's a common problem and usually to do with ccv

Spent the last 3 1/2 hours cleaning engine bay sealing pipes that were mucky and cleaning egr. I have to say the egr was pretty clean considering mileage I'm wondering if the diesel purge I did yesterday cleared some of it somehow.

Don't get me wrong it was still oily ect bt wasn't caked up and flap could still freely move

Since cleaning out egr valve and getting it switched off in software along with cleaning my maf sensor I think I may have sorted my mpg.

I'm now getting around 47-55mpg doing a 10mile drive to work at 70mph.

Only other thing I changed is the fuel now using shell instead of sainsburys ect.

That's more like it.

Sounds like you've got to the bottom of it.

Really? I would expect at 70mph to be seeing more like 60mpg? Don't get me wrong, mine doesn't achieve these figures either as my car also has some kind of consumption issue but not had the time nor money to chuck at her to locate the problem.

It may say 60mpg on some trip computers but that's not to say there getting that. I did 63mph on a journey from Oxford to slough and I was doing 58mpg according trip. And I think that's excellent. Especially when my last car was a skoda octavia vrs 2.0TFSI stg2+ averaging around 28-33mpg

• Like 1

My trip computer reads about 10% above, likewise my speedometer shows 10% above too, I use a Micro Fuzion GPS camera detection alert with the correct GPS speed displaying.

DB

Really? I would expect at 70mph to be seeing more like 60mpg? 

Maybe, but like he said, you don't know what sort of error the trip computer has. Mine reads 6.5% under. On that basis he could be getting 50-58 mpg.....he won't know till he brims it a few times. Remember the combined figure for the vRS is 53 mpg, so anything over that is good going. 

Edited by booke23

Best way is to calculate brim to brim. I bet all those but a small few who manually calculated would show that there not getting 60mpg average

Absolutely. I think the water gets muddied a bit with PD100 figures. People think they are the same engine as the vRS (which they are) but the PD100 has a book combined figure of 57 mpg. The PD130 in the vRS books 53 mpg combined. 

My last tank average on my PD100 was 66.2 mpg. But I only use it to drive to work on open roads with no traffic etc. The warmer weather is really helping the economy too......except when it gets very hot and the A/C is running all the time. I have a app to keep track of my tank average mpg. Interesting to see how the weather affects mpg. In January my tank average was 59 mpg.....purely because of the colder temperatures.  

Maybe, but like he said, you don't know what sort of error the trip computer has. Mine reads 6.5% under. On that basis he could be getting 50-58 mpg.....he won't know till he brims it a few times. Remember the combined figure for the vRS is 53 mpg, so anything over that is good going.

Oh really?? I thought these were closer to 60 for extra Urban (IE motorway driving) combined was about 53 iirc? :wonder:

Oh really?? I thought these were closer to 60 for extra Urban (IE motorway driving) combined was about 53 iirc? :wonder:

Ahh, I see what you mean. At a constant 70 mph then you would expect better than the combined figure of 53 mpg.

But I'm assuming the OP is talking about a 10 mile commute, involving a period of stop start driving to get to the motorway, a cruise on the motorway then come off the motorway for another period of stop start driving then arrive at work. As it's only 10 miles the car won't be up to temperature for a few miles (even in this heat)....in this context low 50's mpg would be pretty good.    

But I'm assuming the OP is talking about a 10 mile commute, involving a period of stop start driving to get to the motorway, a cruise on the motorway then come off the motorway for another period of stop start driving then arrive at work. As it's only 10 miles the car won't be up to temperature for a few miles (even in this heat)....in this context low 50's mpg would be pretty good.

That's a good point :thumbup:

It was leaking from the hole at the front top of egr valve as I cleaned the outside yesterday and today it was doing the same. I have sealed the plastic and rubber pipe to egr with instant rubber gasket so if there was any leaks that should solve them in that area. Any idea thou why the egr leaks from that hole? I see it's a common problem and usually to do with ccv

go back to page one     the egr's goosed    nothing to do with the ccv   and don't believe it water soot or anything else  just engine oil!!!!