Autocar - First Drive - Octavia VRS.

I don't see the point of the VRS, maybe I am stupid but I think the 1.4 TSI is quick enough

But are you saying that because you already own one? It depends on what you expect from a car. Personally I'd benefit from the handling, braking and performance advantages of the VRS over the standard cars.

I don't see the point of the VRS, maybe I am stupid but I think the 1.4 TSI is quick enough

Not stupid at all but for many that want hot hatch like performance and pretense in a family car the vRS ticks most of the boxes.....I bought my Blackline estate because it was essentially a MK6 Golf GTD with more rear legroom and a huge boot.

I think the new 1.4 TSi is a great engine but its no vRS competitor, on paper there doesnt seem much of a difference in performance but you cant expect a car with 45 less horses and nearly 100lb ft torque less to be comparable....and were talking diesel vRS here with the petrol the difference will be HUGELY marked.

Agree with Nicky boy on the external looks. Hopefully it will look better in the metal. The interior seems ok.  Would be nice to see more paint options. Race blue seems to be very popular not just for VRS. As to the rationale behind VRS vs 1.4, just some of the reasons are that whilst the 1.4 might go well, for the extra money you get the performance and in the real world I suspect the economy won't be too dissimilar. 

Oh no they've already blacked the grille. Must have been reading Briskoda.

I think its chrome as standard but some of the press cars are fitted with the 'black pack' - around £120 to specify iirc

Gonna stick my neck out and say I really don't like its looks.

Sounds like it needs tuning as well if you're after a sporty car.

To be fair it's an Octavia.  A reasonable sized family Skoda.

People after a sporty car you should probably be looking elsewhere, it's a warm family car with a bit of sporty styling.

• Like 1

Exactly as Bossfox says its a family hatchback with a bit more sporting pretense and a fair bit more go than a regular Octavia. It'll suit alot of middle aged family men like myself but wont appeal to hot hatch die-hards....but then it was never intended to.

• Like 1

I think the black kit is even cheaper than £120, more like £80? Problem is, in typical SUK style, it's hard to figure out the facts from fantasy.

All of the options have been listed on here with prices. I may have been looking at the Estate black pack then put it was definetly over £100. :)

• Like 1

If people wants a sports car they should buy a Lotus. The whole point of a hot hatch is to be able to take the kids to school, do a weekly shop and if you want on the weekend to go for a blast somewhere. Cars are getting big now so are losing something but the new Octy is a lot lighter so who knows it could be a great drive. All the specs look good as does the XDS+. Still not a mechanical diff but works on the rear wheels too. 

I think the black kit is even cheaper than £120, more like £80? Problem is, in typical SUK style, it's hard to figure out the facts from fantasy.

Its deffo 150 quid, I have just ordered mine!!

Edited by john96
  • Like 1

It'll suit alot of middle aged family men like myself but wont appeal to hot hatch die-hards....but then it was never intended to.

I'd agree, but then I'd further suggest that us middle aged family men are a much bigger market than hot hatch die-hards, a fact which I doubt is lost on Skoda.

Had a close look at the VRS yesterday at the Festival of Speed, it is a really good looking car. I thought the sport seats looked like sports seats rather than were as the side bolsters wouldn't have enough lateral support in a really spirited drive. But I guess that sums up the car, it isn't in my humble opinion, a car that is designed for someone who wants a performance car with the ultimate handling to drive fast down a challenging road. it's not particularly sporty. It's for someone who likes the Octavia with its room, versatility and value for money, but wants a car that looks a bit different and goes a bit quicker. That's not a criticism, just an opinion on my part.

Edited by Timoctav