Skoda 1.2 TSI DSG -- YES or NO

ether0505

Hello, all. This is my first post, so please bear with me.

I have been looking around to buy a new YETI. Just yesterday I noticed that there is a finance offer of 3 years 0% APR along with 3 years servicing deal on-going. So I have decided to take the plunge.

Here is my (family) driving profile.

Type of driving - mostly city, with the occassional mootorway trip

Weight - 3 passengers including driver (around 160kg in total) + 3 mountain bikes (on the roof)

Anticipated annual mileage < 5K

Driver nature - Not a speed freak, I take it nice and steady. Comfort is more important than speed to me.

Based on the above (especially the mileage), I think a petrol is most appropriate. That boils it down to 3 engines. I don't think a 4X4 is really necessary for the type of driving I do, so that brings it down to 2. The 1.2 & 1.4 TSI. I would ideally like the auto, as my wife can also drive (she has her own car, but if I have the option, why not take it?).

Now that is where the doubts come in. Based on all the reviews here on the intranet, I don't think 1.2 TSI DSG has any issues which are a deal breaker for me. The only doubt I have is on the weight side of things. Will the 3 passengers , along with the 3 cycles make it difficult for the 1.2 TSI DSG to pull on the motorway? The reviews here generally give the feeling that it is not an issue, but would be good to know what the briskoda members use their Yeti (specifically 1.2 TSI) to ferry.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Attaching the configuration I have in mind.

The 1.2tsi and DSG are a good combination, but loaded the performance is going to be blunted over 50-60mph.

If you are not in a rush on the motorway it's fine.  It'll do 80mph, but it'll take a while to get there and the fuel economy will be around 35mpg.

You may want to double check you can get a 1.4 as well, some of the engines have been removed from the ordering system as a facelifted Yeti is due in around 6 months.

I have the 1.2 TSi Elegance with the manual gearbox. I chose the petrol option because much of my mileage is short journeys on local roads so the diesel didn't seem appropriate.  I've not used it really heavily laden for a long trip but I have done around 1200 miles of mixed use including a few journeys with four adults and two dogs, including on motorways. I haven't found getting around to be any problem at all on any type of road. I'll admit my driving is pretty sedate but from your post this would seem pretty similar to your own requirements. If I was doing regular, long motorway-type runs then I might like a bit more power but for me the 1.2 has more than lived up to my expectations. I suggest finding a friendly dealer who will let you have a decent test drive on various types of road and take a couple of adults with you to give the extra weight (I recommend in-laws for this - I like to think of them as self-propelled ballast) and see if the 1.2 meets your needs.

When I was looking around I couldn't find a 1.4 demonstrator so you might struggle now but if you are only expecting to do around 5k is the extra additional cost, extra car tax and possibly increased insurance premium worth it to you for a small increase in power that you may only get the benefit from occasionally? I see you haven't specified a sun roof. It's personal taste of course but I bit the bullet on this (none of my previous cars had one) and I have to say i don't regret spending the extra.. 

(Although I feel I drive my 1.2 Yeti "sedately", I would agree with the many people on the forum that say that, for some inexplicable reason, even then it is still a fun drive).

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will not going to regret it.

If you are only going to do occasional motorway trips then the 1.2 Tsi is the one to get, specially as most of your driving is city where the auto (DSG) is perfect. On motorways the 1.2 is fine and will cruise at 80 MPH without a problem its just that the MPG will drop to approx 37 MPG. The DSG with 7 gears is actually a better motorway cruiser than the 6 speed manual so another reason to get the auto.

I changed from a 2 litre diesel Octavia to the 1.2 DSG Yeti and never regretted it. The quiet and smoothness and performance of the 1.2/DSG combo is highlighted by many motor magazines - you will love it!

• Like 1

Forget that its called a 1.2 and just remember it has 105 bhp and lots of torque for a small petrol engine - and get a test drive as mentioned above. You will be surprised how punchy it is.

If you push it, the economy will suffer but from your description of use and mileage I wouldn't worry about that.

I don't have a yeti, but based on your predicted milage and type of driving petrol would seem the best option for you. As far as choosing the engine size I would recommend you book an extended test drive including a short section of motorway so you can see how it performs and if it fits your needs. Take your passengers too as this will be important especially when trying the 1.2 out and don't let the salesman fobb you off with a short test drive!

Good luck

I've done five up in my 1.2 TSI and it happily goes at 70 mph on cruise for hour after hour, up and down hills, with the DSG shifting cogs as needed.  For me, the only times I wish I had more power is when wishing to overtake on a country road stuck behind a car driver who will not go above 50 mph when the car limit is actually 60 mph.  There are some little tricks to getting the best out of the DSG which are worth learning, but these are covered elsewhere on the forum.

Yes, yes, yes. Go for iit. The DSG is superb and 90% of the time you will love it. As others have stated can be a little underpowered on high speed motorway use when fully laden,, but in town and dual carriageways it comes into its  own and cannot be bettered

Thanks everyone. All your feedback has been extremely useful & valuable. Puts my mind to rest that 1.2 TSI DSG is the way to go for me. The next stage is to get the test drive booked.

Will keep you guys posted,

Thanks again.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. All your feedback has been extremely useful & valuable. Puts my mind to rest that 1.2 TSI DSG is the way to go for me. The next stage is to get the test drive booked.

Thanks again.

Good decision.. Enjoy your car.

Thanks again.

If you are lucky enough.I could not find any dealer with a 1.2 DSG to test drive. The only way I could get a test of the box was with a Superb, hardly a comparison, but I was assured the box performed in a similar way on the Yeti, although I am not sure the Superb had the 7 speed box. Best of luck, but if you can't find a Yeti to test drive still go with the DSG box

What you've chosen sounds good to me for your driving style.

As to motorways with three up and the bikes...  I'd consider fitting a towbar (£400 factory fitted) and getting a towbar mounted three bicycle rack (varies from £120 to £400).  Having the bikes behind the car is much better for fuel economy (less wind resistance) and also to get them on and off.  Yes you pay a bit more to begin with but it will just make things easier in the long run.  On the 2,0 diesels you don't notice the bikes on the roof but I'd suspect on a fully loaded 1,2 you might just notice them making the car a bit less responsive.

Thanks Jonceebee and 900000. I will keep the towbar option in mind when ordering the car. And fingers crossed, I will get a 1.2 DSG to test drive. if not, then I will see what I can do. Will keep you all posted.

Cheers.

Forget that its called a 1.2 and just remember it has 105 bhp and lots of torque for a small petrol engine - and get a test drive as mentioned above. You will be surprised how punchy it is.

If you push it, the economy will suffer but from your description of use and mileage I wouldn't worry about that.

Plus a little bit more when put on rolling roads?

• 2 weeks later...

Rog737 is right - its the power output that matters not the actual size of the cylinders.

I don't have a 1.2 TSI but a friend of mine has this engine in a Passat and regularly hauls himself, wife, three chunky kids and tons of the usual "carry on" luggage with him without issue. He says he was amazed at the power of the little engine.