VRS to Monte Tech tdi

The VRS is coming up to 3 years old next month so thinking of getting a Monte Tech diesel and saving some money. Had a little test drive today and spent an hour or so bargaining and think I've ended up with a decent deal. However, on the test drive I noticed that the oil temp was high considering the way i was driving. It was about 105deg and considering i was just cruising at 70 on a short trip. Is this normal or is there a sensor problem with the car. I'm not sure how long it had been sat before we jumped in so I suppose it could have been absolutely hammered before I got in it. If I get one its going to be a spanker that is on the way over atm but just wondering if they run that higher temp.

Mine runs around that temperature so it's what I would call normal. With a bit of spirited driving I can get it to about 115c, so 105c is definitely fine

Hi Lewis

Current Skoda website has offer of "ŠKODA Fabia Monte Carlo TECH" for £11,990 (petrol and diesel apparently) - lots of extras.

I have a Racechip tuning box on my Yeti Greenline with the 1.6TDI engine - goes like a rocket and over 50mpg.

So combine the two and you could have a "real" Fabia VRS i.e. a diesel one!  I had 3 of those!

I might do it myself.

I have the same engine in my octavia and it dosent take long, 2-3miles, for the coolant and oil to both be at 100 degrees.

Mine runs around that temperature so it's what I would call normal. With a bit of spirited driving I can get it to about 115c, so 105c is definitely fine

The VRS runs at around 90deg under normal driving conditions so just fort that was pretty high. But its all good then.

Hi Lewis

Current Skoda website has offer of "ŠKODA Fabia Monte Carlo TECH" for £11,990 (petrol and diesel apparently) - lots of extras.

I have a Racechip tuning box on my Yeti Greenline with the 1.6TDI engine - goes like a rocket and over 50mpg.

So combine the two and you could have a "real" Fabia VRS i.e. a diesel one!  I had 3 of those!

I might do it myself.

I'll definitely be tempted to turn it up a bit when i get it. I'm sure I'll miss the VRS power when its gone!

Hi Lewis

I might do it myself.

I think you'll find that 'from' £11,990, the diesel is £12960. My daughter is waiting for her's to be delivered next week (hopefully!).. we got caught out over the price as the dealer listed it as the same price on an advert...

• 4 weeks later...

It's done! The VRS is gone and a Monte Tech 1.6CR Tdi is on the drive. I loved the VRS it was almost the perfect car. Goes link stink and can hit +50mpg on a 20 mile commute to work, cheap to insure and run. However, ultimately i was scared of it partly thanks to this forum. The fear of a engine or gearbox failure out of warranty scared me to death so in the end I went for my first brand new car with 3 years trouble free motoring, financially wise.

Picked up the Monte yesterday and after a commute to work today its on 60 miles. However, this evening i have notice the car seeming to sound like a bag of spanners during accelerating at low revs. Has any one else noticed this? I'm expecting a phone call from the dealer tomorrow to see how I'm getting on so I will mention it to him and see what he says. Also noticed that if i start it up and turn the air con while idling it sounds coarser and started revving erratically. Any one else getting this? 

• Like 2

Hopefully it is just a new car needing some sympathetic running in.

It is never going to sound like a vRS, being a Heavy Oil burner.

No idea about them, but from what i have read is that not the Anti Stall doing the revving?

george

Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

Got same motor 3 weeks ago pal. Noticed that accelersting at low revs mine sounds like a bag of spanners too. Recently these past two days when I start up the engine is juddering and I need to rev to get it to go away. Something isnt right with these monte csrlo techs. Im furious and wilk be at the dealership tomorrow expecting answers. Its my first brand new car and I went for a brand spank because all the used cars ive had have Failed me and im sick of them. Now this happens. Unbelievable

I mentioned on Lewis' other thread about this.

It'll be a simple engine control unit update and recalibrating the injectors. Should take an hour tops really to do. If you're desperately unlucky it might need the injectors recalibrating again, but give it approx 500miles to see if it irons itself out.

Got same motor 3 weeks ago pal. Noticed that accelersting at low revs mine sounds like a bag of spanners too. Recently these past two days when I start up the engine is juddering and I need to rev to get it to go away. Something isnt right with these monte csrlo techs. Im furious and wilk be at the dealership tomorrow expecting answers. Its my first brand new car and I went for a brand spank because all the used cars ive had have Failed me and im sick of them. Now this happens. Unbelievable

I mentioned on Lewis' other thread about this.

It'll be a simple engine control unit update and recalibrating the injectors. Should take an hour tops really to do. If you're desperately unlucky it might need the injectors recalibrating again, but give it approx 500miles to see if it irons itself out.

Yes a simple update is all that was required. I got the dealer to fire up an identical car that was on the forecourt to see the difference, after he first told me it was normal. It makes you wonder though how you can have two identical brand new cars and one has dodgey software. 

I took it in on Saturday, updated the software and its been fine ever since  :rofl:

Edited by Lewisb1989