Oil filter socket question

You can get smaller torque wrenches from screwfix/machine mart. I just used my wheel one as it went down to what I needed.

Has anyone even seen anything with a setting less than 25Nm?

Halfords professional one won a group test in auto express a while back for its consistency. 3/8ths drive ratchet was around £50 and starts at 8nm so very good for small bolts etc :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Guest BigJase88

Water pump pliers!

No bother! And a rag so you don't mark it! Easy peasy!

Or on a screw on filter the old screwdriver trick does the job if your struggling lol!

Proper pikey diy mechanic me!!

No, No, No, use your 12 point 32mm socket with a 'T' bar to release the oil filter cap/nut and tighten with the same.

There simply IS NO NEED to buy a torque wrench to carry-out this simple operation Quinten.

Tighten on the side of caution, it's better to be a bit slack and oil weeps out, so you would then nip it up a- touch more.

Don't forget to renew 'O' oil ring that sits on the oil filter cap/nut.

No, No, No, use your 12 point socket with a 'T' bar to release the oil filter cap/nut and tighten with the same.

There simply IS NO NEED to buy a torque wrench to carry-out this simple operation Quinten.

Tighten on the side of caution, it's better to be a bit slack and oil weeps out, so you would then nip it up a- touch more.

Actually, I tend to agree.  There's so much friction on a thread with that diameter that (IMO) there's zero chance of it unscrewing itself, even if it was only finger-tight. 

The torque rating will be intended to prevent over-tightening and damage to the plastic threads, not because the exact value is functionally critical. 

Edit: And it won't leak, even at finger-tightness, 'cos the o-ring seal is radial onto the inside diameter of the housing, not axial onto its end face.

Cheers for the confirmation on the oil filter cap tools...  By now I've pretty much convinced myself I can do all my car DIY with just a pocket knife and a bit of blue-tak ;)

Hopefully mr postie delivers my oil tomorrow...

No, No, No, use your 12 point socket with a 'T' bar to release the oil filter cap/nut and tighten with the same.

No reason why he can't have one in his toolbox, that he could use again in future. Given the fact the manufacturer gives a torque figure for the filter cap anyway.

Over-tightening can cause small hairline fractures in the filter cap around the hex head, as I've found to my cost. A new cap ~£24, an engine bay clean (prices vary) and more oil. Don't under tighten, and definitely don't over tighten.

Oil arrived (thankfully) this morning and 2 hours later, the Pela 6000 had sucked the life out of the engine :D  What a brilliant invention!  I had not need to worry about having the right socket or not as the cap unscrewed easily (not *that* easy ;)) and when tightening you can sort of get a feel of when it is tight or not.  Rocket science, pah!

Now, how do I get the Pela clean again? ;)