Protein Powder - What's 'the best'?

kiddy1

Good evening folks :)

It's time to re-stock my supply of protein powder, I've always stuck to Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard but now I'm doing some market research it appears that 'Muscle Pharm - Combat Powder' has basically taken over the market.

I like the look of PhD Pharma Blend also...

I'm on a very low Carb diet but trying to maintain/build more muscle mass. The protein blends seem ideal with the use of Casein to basically drip feed my body protein for roughly 6 hours after training.

Who else on here is in to weight lifting/bodybuilding/powerlifting etc?

Bro do you even lift?

I am a keen weightlifter. Would say its my first hobby and cars second to be honest.

What are you looking for from the protein powder, do you want an all in one or whey only? When do you intend to take it e.g before bed or straight after training?

PM me if you want advice etc.

A good diet!

Out of all the people who go the gym that I know who take protein and enhancing shakes most are just fat. They are useless unless you put mega effort in. A well balanced diet is much more effective.

Edited by mdon
  • Like 3

A good diet!

Out of all the people who go the gym that I know who take protein and enhancing shakes most are just fat. They are useless unless you put mega effort in. A well balanced diet is much more effective.

As above, I'm eating super clean.

I' ll use yday as an example....

Breakfast: egg white omelette & turkey bacon

Pre workout ( no xplod)

Protein shake post workout

Peanut butter and apple

Lunch: chicken salad

Melon and strawberry smoothie

Low fat Greek yoghurt

Dinner: sea bass and mixed pepper stir fry

Jelly :D

Excuse the lack of grammar etc. cba to type it out properly on my iPhone :p

A good diet!

A good diet!

A good diet!

Protein shakes won't make you fat, as for an 'enhancing shake' what is that?

A good diet is key but taking in enough protein for food alone is an expensive option - hence the massive worldwide use of protein shakes.

Don't bother with any of the expensive ****e - bulk powders just get the plain stuff and use nesqwick, or bodybuilding warehouse - there own stuff is very good.

As for them being useless - that's just wrong on every level going.

• Like 1

I've tried a few and have been using Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey for a while now, very happy with it.

As bowen says though it all depends on when you'll be taking it etc.

My eldest Son went down the protein powder route some years ago,and worked out with a lot of weights.

He is 6 foot 2 inches and his weight peaked at 280 pounds,and No he wasn't fat.

He used to tear all his shirts at the shoulders like the Incredible Hulk.

He started to suffer a lot of Headaches and had a partial collapse in the street...The Doctor said it was a warning.

He has since lost 70 pounds and is now very nicely muscled.(no more headaches.)

Eats lots of Chicken ,Tuna ,Egg whites ,with salads and veg.

Take care,and Good luck :rock:

Protein shakes won't make you fat, as for an 'enhancing shake' what is that?

A good diet is key but taking in enough protein for food alone is an expensive option - hence the massive worldwide use of protein shakes.

Don't bother with any of the expensive ****e - bulk powders just get the plain stuff and use nesqwick, or bodybuilding warehouse - there own stuff is very good.

As for them being useless - that's just wrong on every level going.

The like of N O Explode and some green stuff others take. The n o explode, the guys take it then 10 minuets late have to go the toilet or the literally crap themselves (I'd just take a laxative if I were that desperate!)

I know people who pay upwards of £60 per month on these and I can see no benefit whatsoever.

The two fittest people I know take nothing else that decent food, no shakes or anything else.

The like of N O Explode and some green stuff others take. The n o explode, the guys take it then 10 minuets late have to go the toilet or the literally crap themselves (I'd just take a laxative if I were that desperate!)

I know people who pay upwards of £60 per month on these and I can see no benefit whatsoever.

The two fittest people I know take nothing else that decent food, no shakes or anything else.

That the ingedents not agreeing with them.

All the no explode / muscle pharm / muscle tec are all hyped up rubbish with massive prices to boot.

The people who take them need to look hat they have in them an in what quantities. It can be traded for something a lot cheaper.

The only one that i like was as said above, is gold standard. Its the only one that actually tastes good and it is the only one that doesnt upset the stomach (well for me that is) !! See if you can find trial samples first as some powders go through you like a bad dose!!! I always mix them with skimmed milk as it tastes better than water :)

K:)

The OP asked for suggestions on a protein supplement. He's already made the decision to take one.

If you don't want to suggest one as you don't agree with them, start a topic "I hate protein shakes"

This is why I asked the OP PM me (which he has) as so many people are so negative about supplements, conversations like this change very quickly especially on non training related forums. Op (or anyone else) Try UKmuscle forum, it's a wealth of info.

What works for me; pre workout Musclepharm assault. Post workout; Reflex One Stop. Before bed; muscle pharm ZMA and PRO10 casein whey.

I do have a diet before anyone throws that at me.

I probably could. But the hassle of buying things separate and getting measurements correct for a soluble mixture etc I can't be bothered. It's like anything though, why buy a ready made subway or a nandos or a pizza even, when you could probably the ingredients cheaper. It's just convenience.

BodyBuilding Warehouse' own brand is what I use. 5KG for £50. 111 servings. It's a bit of an all in one with a mixture of proteins and creatine etc but tastes good and does what it's supposed to.

Suspect most of these things are pretty unnecessary to the majority of gym goers.  :giggle:

Surely it depends on what people are hoping to accomplish by going to the Gym?

• Like 1

Just get some halordrol, i put on 8kg in 6 weeks without really trying too hard

Just went to the gym everynight except weekends and drank **** loads of water, didnt diet or take those rancid protein shakes

• Like 1