Language

thedinger

Reading this thread, in so far as I can understand it, I can't help wondering why I was censured and called an idiot for writing one post of constructive advice in German as guidance to a foreigner who had posted earlier in that language. I told him if he wanted useful information on this forum he would be better advised to write in English.

As to my not finding the relevant rule, thank you Mods for drawing my attention to it but it is not easy to find. If you go to the Guidelines link at the top of the page, where you would expect to find it, there is no mention of it.

I thought this was a friendly and helpful forum. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Withdraws hurt.

• Like 1

I think that it was started in the Yeti owners section instead of Off Topic Chat was the reason it kicked off. It gave two possible options, that lesser model owners were to be excluded, or, that the original poster couldn't be bothered find the correct place for it, therefore negating the argument about correct use of language, as the Hoi Polloi wouldn't find it to read. As far as I'm concerned please continue to welcome members from afar in a language they are comfortable with, if I cannot understand a post I won't read it. I guess that I'm too tolerant in my old age. :giggle:

• Like 1

My spelling and grammar is pretty good but mistakes do happen. Autocorrect sometimes puts different words in and sometimes I'll be typing away and when I read it back I'll put in words that aren't needed or miss some out completely. The txtspk I don't like but life's too short to worry about it. If it was a job application however then that has to be perfect.

I don't want to be a GOM (Grumpy Old Man), but as someone dragged up to use spelling & grammar correctly, wouldn't it be nice to see the English language being used properly?  For instance, the correct plural of "Forum" is "Fora". Also, the correct way to describe one of the blue colour options is "Petrel", as associated with the sea-bird, not "Petrol" as in gasoline.

Since we, as a community (not a phrase I like) of Skoda owners, are assumed to possess a certain level of discernment, certainly in our choice of transport, it is safe to assume the same level in other matters, or am I totally wrong?

Yes...yes...I know I'm just being a miserable old g*t & one who has trouble re-programming the video timer, but does this bother anyone else, I'd love to know ???

Yours Grumpily,

the(grumpy)dinger.

Also 'forums' according to SOED Sixth Edition: forum /0?f?:r?m/ noun. Pl. -rums, -ra /-r?/. LME.
[ORIGIN Latin, rel. to fores (outside) door, orig. an enclosure surrounding a house.]

Also 'forums' according to SOED Sixth Edition: forum /0?f?:r?m/ noun. Pl. -rums, -ra /-r?/. LME.
[ORIGIN Latin, rel. to fores (outside) door, orig. an enclosure surrounding a house.]

Anyone else care to back me up here, but it's Petrol Blue in the Yeti brochure and it's also in SOED Sixth Edition...

3 A shade of blue likened to the colour of petrol. E20.

How many of these 79 words can you actually pronounce?

Brilliant albeit American.

Johann's on the case. Got your dictionary out too? :wonder:

Phuque Moi!

I didn't realise an classical education was required to drive a Yeti, little wonder I was ushered across the showroom floor to the Roomster.

I waved at a Roomster this morning before I realised it wasn't a Yeti! The driver(ess) didn't wave back...

grr666 needs to take a major reality check. We don't need such personal abuse. By the way, the plural of forum is fora.

• Like 1

grr666 needs to take a major reality check. We don't need such personal abuse. By the way, the plural of forum is fora.

well, they were parked in an aloof manner on sunday.

They weren't 'parked in an aloof manner', they were choreographed into an alphabetic arrangement. :)

yes, that looked rather fun :dull:                            ;)

• Like 1

Thank God someone has at last written about the absolutely appalling use of the English language on Briskoda. I am not sorry for being a snob. When I read a post with hundreds of errors in it I immediately go and read the next one. It shows a lack of intelligence and education and it seems that a lot of owners are chavs. I am an English teacher to foreign students and most of them can spell better than native speakers. I am going to put the boot into Octavia owners now, since I am one too, and most of them seem to be illiterate, hence a high proportion of VRs owners:)

I wonder if Yeti owners are of a different ilk? Now, you may be wondering why I am looking through the Yeti 'fora.' It's because I think I won't buy the new Octavia 3 and I would prefer a Yeti. But I'll have to wait 3 years, so that will be a facelifted one.

Hello, illiterate Octavia vRS owner here.

Are you actually being serious? Please provide data.

Poor grammar and education do not necessarily denote a "chav."

As a "teacher," you should understand that you do not make statements without evidence to back up your claims.

• Like 3

A plural of yetis is a skulduggery of yeti's

A chav of Fabias? 

A meter of Octavias?

A bore of Superbs?

A putter of Golfs?

A sloth of Rapids?

Haven't worked out one for the CitiGo!

And it is a "flurry of Yetis"

I'll get my coat.................................... :giggle:

Lets look at this sensibly as briskoda posters come from all over the Uk and beyond. I saw a reference by a bloke who was amazed at the spelling /pronunciation of Colleshill when he moved to the midlands.

At one time I was a Service Engineer working in the Midlands and sometimes a bit further away . Best example of the language difference I can come up with is is a Service Engineers /truck drivers staple diet - some form of dough with butter and a filling. Some places call this a bread roll, others call it a batch, others call it a buttie. I've lost track of the various names. I pity a scouser asking for a bacon buttie at a Warks roadside snack bar. He needs to ask for a bacon batch. So next time you read a post and can't understand the dialect words used - think on ,as you might use words others can't work out. In parts of NE England and possibly up the east coast to parts of Buckie and beyond, a sliver of wood in the skin is called a spell. On the west coast of Scotland it's a splinter. Again, some of us have OXford English as a SECOND language. I can stil talk passable west coast broad Scots and the East coast twang. Gramer formation differs in all parts ofthe UK. As far as I'm concerned , if someone posts in good faith and not in TXT SPK, I'll try and make sense of their post. ( And then let's not get sexists- it could be a lady ).

• Like 1

Lets look at this sensibly as briskoda posters come from all over the Uk and beyond. I saw a reference by a bloke who was amazed at the spelling /pronunciation of Colleshill when he moved to the midlands.

At one time I was a Service Engineer working in the Midlands and sometimes a bit further away . Best example of the language difference I can come up with is is a Service Engineers /truck drivers staple diet - some form of dough with butter and a filling. Some places call this a bread roll, others call it a batch, others call it a buttie. I've lost track of the various names. I pity a scouser asking for a bacon buttie at a Warks roadside snack bar. He needs to ask for a bacon batch. So next time you read a post and can't understand the dialect words used - think on ,as you might use words others can't work out. In parts of NE England and possibly up the east coast to parts of Buckie and beyond, a sliver of wood in the skin is called a spell. On the west coast of Scotland it's a splinter. Again, some of us have OXford English as a SECOND language. I can stil talk passable west coast broad Scots and the East coast twang. Gramer formation differs in all parts ofthe UK. As far as I'm concerned , if someone posts in good faith and not in TXT SPK, I'll try and make sense of their post. ( And then let's not get sexists- it could be a lady ).

Aren't you not too far from Solihull, or is it So-lee-hull :think:

A chav of Fabias? 

A meter of Octavias?

A bore of Superbs?

A putter of Golfs?

A sloth of Rapids?

As they are so tiny, perhaps a pitter-patter of CitiGos??

BTW, I agree the spelling and miss-use of words is pretty bad in some areas of the Briskodain Fora.

Edited by GentleGiant

A chav of Fabias? 

A meter of Octavias?

A bore of Superbs?

A putter of Golfs?

A sloth of Rapids?

Oi! Graham, where are the Roomsters?

Maybe an ignored of Roomsters?

More likely a Fugly of Roomsters.

Edited by P6bJOHN
  • Like 1

As they are so tiny, perhaps a pitter-patter of CitiGos??

BTW, I agree the spelling and miss-use of words is pretty bad in some areas of the Briskodain Fora.

if you're gonna moan about it the least you could do is spell Briskodian correctly. :dull:

• Like 4