Key code in manual?

Hi,

In a stroke of sheer genius some clueless git (me) has lost my only key to my 2005 Fabia. Additionally some git (also me) has left the manual in the back pocket of the driver's seat. I do know that there is a spare transponder in there ( little transparent-ish tic tac in a clear tube container ). Does anyone happen to know if its likely to contain the key's code so I can get it cut?

Also, if I get a replacement 3 button fob is it just a matter of sticking the transponder in?

This is of course all prior to me kicking the back window in :(

Yours,

Steven.

Edit: I do of course mean is the code likely to be with the transponder. Rather than in the manual, which would be a bit stupid.

Edited by Deckchair

If you have a transponder with the car it should already be coded in I would assume, strange to have one with the car and it not be synced up.

The rest is easy if you have that anyway. Syncing it up with central locking etc to use the remote to lock and unlock the car.

I'm certainly hoping its already coded to the car. I'd still need the code to get the key cut if the transponder is ok, which is what I'm hoping would be with the transponder.

Yours,

Steven.

I'm certainly hoping its already coded to the car. I'd still need the code to get the key cut if the transponder is ok, which is what I'm hoping would be with the transponder.

Yours,

Steven.

I got my key cut a few weeks back from a locksmith. They charged me £9 and supplied the blade.

I put plenty of pictures etc on my project thread.

Thanks, do you have a link?

So as I've lost my key where else can I get the key cutting code from, should it not be with the manual in some form. I take it its main dealer or a complete set of locks etc?

Yours,

Steven.

There was a period when some VAG marques included a plastic tags with the keys when the car was new, but they stopped doing that as either the first owner chucked them or the very clever and ignorant second hand dealers found any that had stayed with the car and binned them! I'd be very happy for you if that transponder has been coded for that car, though I'd expect that someone replaced/upgraded that key that you have lost, and just picked the old transponder out and replaced it with the original one. Transponder can not get recoded I think I've heard - once prog'd only. Getting the actual code to get a key cut, I'd expect that you would need to take your logbook and some utility bills along to a local VAG dealer, or maybe even the original selling dealer. All this sounds very easy, and I hope it is, but I doubt it.

Tip for next time, never ever try living with a modern car and only ever having a single key - it does not work for long as you have found out.

Good Luck!

Update, as far as the key number is concerned, I think that I read somewhere that one of the locks, when removed will be marked with the key number, this is only a hunch - getting the engine immobiliser sorted out could get very expensive if I'm being realistic, this is why I could never let myself down and try living with only one key.

Edited by rum4mo

Thanks, I'm going to try yet again to get through to my local dealer tomorrow.

I'm a little annoyed I didn't get a spare key only cut at the very least. Or even just take photos of the damn thing!

Steven.

You can order a key ready cut for the car from a skoda dealer,that will open the door but will still need coding up to the immobiliser, some firms can find the code out for a fee sometimes too

Well I've spoken to the main dealer and I can get a simple uncoded key (no remote) for £44.96 + VAT, takes a couple of days to come from Germany. A full remote fob+blade jobby costs £101+VAT and getting them coded costs an hour of labour at around £55 + VAT.

They did seem to think that the transponder isn't in the fob but is embedded as part of the blade which I found a little confusing.

Current plan is get the simple key and see if I can start the car with the transponder from the manual.

Steven.

getting them coded costs an hour of labour at around £55 + VAT.

Steven.

That seems a bit steep to say the least, surely it should take no more than 30 min. To get a spare I bought a second hand fob from eBay for about £10, a new transponder cost about £5, key cutting about £5 and the dealer supplied the code for about £10. I coded them to my car with vag-com in about 10 minutes.

Do Skoda dealers still provide transponder codes? I got mine from a dealer but it was about 4 years ago, if not more.

I was in my local VW parts place today, and the guy in front of me was ordering up a new three button switch cut key, for about £130, the parts guy said to would cost about £100 after that to get it coded and they need the car in for half a day - I think that will be due to the dealer not being able to know exactly how long it would take VAGUK to send up the correct code - ouch.

To the OP, sounds like things will be able to move quicker than I would have ever hoped - maybe that is progress, in the older days, if you had a 5 year old Fiat and you lost the "special" key and any others, it was thought to be easier to scrap the car than buy in a new lockset+immobiliser+ECU and get that lot to work together. No better for a Ford I believe - that is why I've never thought that having just one key was clever. Maybe it was on a Ford that you had to remove a door lock to find the actual lock(key) number.

Edited by rum4mo

Oh I remember my old Fiesta and its special red key. The Fabia only had one key when I bought it, just never got round to getting the extra. Mind if I'd known what I know now, about how easy it is to sort when you still have a key and how cheap if you don't go to the main dealer. I'd have done it months ago.

Still, fingers crossed for the transpnder.

Steven.

Friend at work, his daughter has a 2003/4 Polo 9N and it was bought with only one key! Her father would never allow himself to be in that position for long, but the strange thing is, he is allowing her to find out the hard way if it all goes wrong - I don't get it, "bank of mum and dad" will be expected to save the day should "the worst" ever happen, why he does not cut to the chase and get another key and new transponder via ebay and take it from there.

My mother-in-law bought a 2000 Fiesta with one key, I advised her to rectify the situation - her Ford dealer said "only one key - it will cost a fortune to reprogram everything and add a second key" so she left it a while. I ordered in two pre-cut keys from an etrader (Ford van dealer) and took they and her car to a proper out of town Ford dealer, an hour later car had 3 keys coded to it, easy when you know how sometimes - I don't know what her local dealer was thinking about!

Only ever used a Ford red key for a couple of days when the steering lock refused to work with the usual keys - replaced its lock elements and put the ordinary keys back into use.

have you got it sorted? i do car keys & can pick & decode the door lock to make a new blade & then program it. So depending where you are i may be able to help out & cheaper than the dealers.

Also with the remote key the transponder isn't in the blade, it's inside the key head that the blade is attached to

Bolton isn't that far from me as i travel all over the country. I can decode the door lock easily enough to get the key code but my key cutting machine needs an existing key to make a copy from & doesn't use key codes. So with lost key jobs i send the key code to my key supplier & they cut me a key to code.

Which means i have to make 2 trips to the customer which with you being about 40 miles from me i'm not sure i've got the time spare this week to do 2 trips. So depends how much of a rush you're in. 

Are you getting 1 or 2 keys done? what you been quoted?

the red key is a master key used for programming new keys to the PATS system. Ford stopped using master keys years ago. i've never seen a Connect with a red key & i've done new keys for easily 50+ Connects over the last couple of years

Slightly off topic. My VRS only came with one key from the dealer, (Rainworth Skoda). As I am in Spain, does anyone have any suggestions as to my best course of action?

Bolton isn't that far from me as i travel all over the country. I can decode the door lock easily enough to get the key code but my key cutting machine needs an existing key to make a copy from & doesn't use key codes. So with lost key jobs i send the key code to my key supplier & they cut me a key to code.

Which means i have to make 2 trips to the customer which with you being about 40 miles from me i'm not sure i've got the time spare this week to do 2 trips. So depends how much of a rush you're in. 

Are you getting 1 or 2 keys done? what you been quoted?

I'm getting a single key from Skoda for about £56, if I can get the car moving popping over to Huddersfield isn't much of an issue, I work in Wakefield. Can you programme the transponder as well?

Steven.

Heh, point taken I have found its always worth asking the obvious though.

How much for a 3 button fob, on the basis that I can get it moving and either have the SKU or 1 working transponder?

Steven.