Changing air con compressor ?

My air con compressor is dead :(

I've got a new compressor and I'm about to fit it but I'm looking for a bit of info before I start ...

I'm fine with recovering the gas, etc but what's involved in releasing the drive belt?

Where is the tensioner located and what's the best way to access it?

Also what's the easiest way to get out the compressor? From above or from below?

The car is an '08 VRS TDI

Edited by Ireland

I've figured it out  :think:  :D

Access is via the drivers-side wheel-arch.

The pre-tensioner can te turned clockwise with a 16mm spanner and then pinned in the released position (there is a hole in the pre-tensioner assembly and in the block and once a pin is put through these the tension is held off the belt).

The old compressor comes out and the new compressor goes in via the wheel-arch.

I'll soon have it all back together and I will have working air-con before the day is over.

:whew:  :whew:  :whew:

• Like 1

Sorry for hi-jacking someone else's thread, but this seems to be an appropriate question....

If I was to want to replace my air con compressor myself, I would get the old refrigerant removed at a dealers / quick fit type place, and then drive it home to change the compressor... Is it safe then to drive the car to the dealers to get it refilled, or would this damage the new compressor?

Thanks

Dan

Sorry for hi-jacking someone else's thread, but this seems to be an appropriate question....

If I was to want to replace my air con compressor myself, I would get the old refrigerant removed at a dealers / quick fit type place, and then drive it home to change the compressor... Is it safe then to drive the car to the dealers to get it refilled, or would this damage the new compressor?

Thanks

Dan

it would be damaged, if it isn't far away don't fit the drive belt.

Would it be damaged though?

If it was left off (jack plug not connected) the it'd be the same as driving the car if the gas had leaked from the air con system.

That normally never kills the compressor

Lack of lubricant does !

• Like 1

Assuming they still use the electro magnetic clutch system.

No, they use a clutchless variable displacement compressor and although seperate the oil still works with the gas. Edited by 07 vRS Taxi