Vandal attack

Thank you for your support and comments people

The car is insured Fully Comp apart from the £350 excess

Police involved, but nothing to go on, they called on all the neighbours

Worried about the write off bit, as the SE is my pride and joy including the seat number 028 means something to me

Once again thanks

National aka Jimbo

Really sorry to read this National. I have always regarded you as one of the gentlemen of the forum.

Would suggest getting advice regarding costs of repair and more important, actions to take to stabilise what's been done.

At the least, I'd suggest a severe jet wash followed by drying and a coat of primer/stabilising undercoat.

You don't really need it to just sit there and rust. Get it off your drive for some TLC. You'll be helping it and you won't have to look at the damage every day.

HTH

Jerms.

Personally I wouldnt get it wrapped(only last 5 years) at end of the day realistically it still needs respraying

My point was use this as an opportunity to make it a bit different. If he puts it back to how it was originally its never going to be quite the same there will be niggling bits of overspray and tape lines etc. If you got for a different finish than the original then at least it feels like its money well spent otherwise that £350 excess will just feel like a waste. Improve the look that's how to turn this into a positive.

P.S. I think Pwpro offer a 10 year guarantee on their wraps. And they are excellent judge for yourself.

http://www.pwpro.co.uk/cars/vinyl-wrapping

My point was use this as an opportunity to make it a bit different. If he puts it back to how it was originally its never going to be quite the same there will be niggling bits of overspray and tape lines etc. If you got for a different finish than the original then at least it feels like its money well spent otherwise that £350 excess will just feel like a waste. Improve the look that's how to turn this into a positive.

P.S. I think Pwpro offer a 10 year guarantee on their wraps. And they are excellent judge for yourself.

http://www.pwpro.co.uk/cars/vinyl-wrapping

Whilst going slightly off topic absolutely lovely work there must admit!

Well I had the plod this morning, but as I do not know anyone (retired and no social life as such) could not help, Only speculation on culprit

However tonight suspected culprit returned to the scene at 00.15

He walked to my drive, and then the milkman arrived and it put my security light on, so he walked away (I was available with my pool cue)

Ten minutes later his missus walked out of the house in a towel dressing gown and not much else, but set a big firework off ?

Five minutes later she did the same

At fifteen minutes she walked from the front of the house they had supposedly vacated and walked around to the back entrance

Thirty minutes later he came out and walked across to my drive, but then got in one of his four cars and drove off

Tomorrow (today) I have the insurance assessor and I am dreading the outcome as I have kept the car in tip top condition, new, brake discs and pads, always full service on time

new Rad and header tank, new cam belt and metal impeller, new battery, drop links always hand washed from new, and always used shell plus from new

I do not know how to go about keeping the car if they declare it a write off

Can I withdraw the claim?

If written off can I buy the car back? and go private for the work ?

Can I withdraw the claim and, just ride about with what is cosmetic damage ?

The Plod were good but could do nothing on speculation, they offered a call by CID to my drug farm suspect, but I declined the offer, best to let sleeping dogs lie

at least he will feel happy and hopefully not do it again, If the had a visit then he may/would come again

The insurance are to phone me today (Monday) and advise, and I have been told to ask any questions I wish, but I do not feel comfortable declaring my hand before the result

I am fully comp insurance with the RAC and the policy states identical replacement, There is a NEAR replacement available in Manchester apart from double the mileage ie 110k miles and £7449 (mine is 5766 miles and I have the vandalism cover for no claims bonus

I honestly feel if push came to shove, I could do the work myself, only I am unsure about the sparkly paint bit, I have in the past managed plain blue on my old bangers

Thank you for all your support

National aka Jimbo

Hope all goes as best as it can today. I don't think you can withdraw the claim but can certainly offer to buy the car back if they do declare it a write off. Everyone can see from your posts you care about your car.

I do not know how to go about keeping the car if they declare it a write off

Can I withdraw the claim?

If written off can I buy the car back? and go private for the work ?

Can I withdraw the claim and, just ride about with what is cosmetic damage ?

My option has always been to claim on the insurance and then buy back the vehicle. My insurer at the time was Liverpool Victoria and they were more than happy for me to buy the car back. Both cars were a Clio 1.8 16v one I bent in half running into a concealed Skip that was illegally parked on the main road with no lights or cones. The other one I got T-boned at a junction. This was about 8 -10 years ago, at the time the process was - you argue with the insurer about the true value of your vehicle. Don't accept the first offer and generally you will end up with the correct money in my case it was £3k both times then it cost me £75 to buy back the vehicle. I Then preceded to strip both vehicles on my drive interior exterior. I even managed to sell the busted bonnet because it had the Williams type offset vent in it for £50 and it was f**ked. In all I made more in parts on the cliosport forum than I got from the insurer effectively doubling what I paid out. Don't worry about your insurance premiums shooting up the following year as in my experience they don't just shop around and due to your age it will be just as cheap. Now in your predicament I would get the cash off your insurer and buy back your car and have the paint done professionally but like I said make it better not the same it will feel much more rewarding and you will be getting one over on your neighbour by making your nice car even better. Don't let these idiots get you down pal.

I feel for you Jimbo, i've had a car vandalised twice and a set of wheels and tyres stolen in the past and i felt physically sick for days. Still makes my blood boil when i think about it, even seven years on.

Where is it you stay? I'm in Oban but often visit my parents in Glasgow too. If you need any help with prepping the car for paint or want to borrow any tools (compressor, paint gun etc.) then let me know and i'll try and help you out as best i can.

Edited by Kevin_Mc
  • Like 4

If the paint has been stripped back to the metal in places, wouldn't vinyl wrapping still show the differences in level?

Yes but it doesn't matter about the colour does it which means you can just use a rattle can with some primer and top coat in and a bit of wet and dry to rectify the damage well at least stop it rusting and make it smooth and level. Anyone should be able to manage this and then get it wrapped in chosen finish. Would be the cheapest method I suspect.

I am so sorry to hear about this, the perpetrators are nothing short of scum.

There's some good advice in the preceding posts.  Don't let your insurance company push you about and don't make them force you to have the work done at a repairer of their choice, it's your car and you can have it repaired where you want.

I hope that the outcome is to your satisfaction.

If you are planning on running the car into the ground and can't afford being screwed by the insurance for the next 5 years then ue what would be your excess on new tyres, and laquer the wheels yourself, then have a go at getting the body presentable with rattle cans. Know it isn't a nice solution and your car won't be the same but could be better than it being written off and insurance costing you and extra £k over 5 years. Even if the rozzers catch the culprit you would be left with the insurance bill and trying to reclaim through civil action.

Jimbo I know a guy in Lesmahagow who is brilliant at paintwork and very reasonable. I have used him for sorting out vw campers in the past and his work is top notch. Let me know if you need his details

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Not wanting to upset the applecart, but if it was me I'd get some

primer on the damage and wait a bit. If he's returning to the scene of the crime

then you've got to ask yourself has he finished exacting his misplaced revenge yet?

I'd not be getting the car fixed properly until I was sure he won't be coming back.  

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Wireless-IP-Wifi-CCTV-Security-Camera-Network-IR-Night-Vision-Monitor-Cam-UK-/141020732671?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item20d57d9cff

Something like this ought to do it. Just pop it on an upstairs window sill.  

It's wireless so no need to sod about running cables.

Could be the best £30 you ever spend if it catches the fakker.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Wireless-IP-Wifi-CCTV-Security-Camera-Network-IR-Night-Vision-Monitor-Cam-UK-/141020732671?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item20d57d9cff

Something like this ought to do it. Just pop it on an upstairs window sill.  

It's wireless so no need to sod about running cables.

Could be the best £30 you ever spend if it catches the fakker.

Just did the deed and ordered one of these. I'll update what it's like if you're interested National.