Removing tar

ItalianJob

Any recommendations on what to use to safely remove tar.

Sadly had to drive through roadworks on the way back from our holiday and the road was fresh Tarmac. I thought it was a mud spattering at first until I tried to wash it!!

It's slowly coming off with hot soapy water but if feels like there's some residue there. It's all down one side of the car, and its a white car :-(

Should I just run some polish over it?

Don't polish over it. I've found using the above works good and also a sliced lemon rubbed over the area is great too. I'm forever using them to clean things then rinse and polish after :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

WD is good - spray on, leave.  Repeat possibly.  I would avoid methanol.

I use autosmart tardis - can only buy it in 5 litres I think, but that's good for tar.  For spot treatments, you can't really beat AG intensive tar remover.

Got some Simoniz bug and tar remover wipes from Halfords. Basic but melts and wipes off small tar spots quickly. Wipes are slightly textured too, helps attack the spot quicker.

AG tar remover works well for large areas or big spots but you will need to wax / polish afterwards. For smaller areas/ spots you can also use AG extra gloss protection. This will remove the tar and leave some protection on the paint.

Sarge.

There's a halfords on the way to work so might pop in see if I can get some wipes/remover. I don't need much as hopefully this is a one off.

I can't believe they were letting traffic through on fresh Tarmac, unless it was the only access road between Silloth and Maryport.

White spirit for a cheap and effective way.

Won't harm the paint and if you look at most tar removing products that's what they contain.

Just make sure you re wax the area afterwards.

^^ This 

OR

If you are badly stuck, Use a drop of petrol on a rag and let it soak, wipe it off.

Was afterwards and give it a rub of wax to seal it up.

Why bother use chemicals, a clay bar will remove tar and clean ur paintwork, would never use any sort of solvent on mine as it will eat away at the paintwork

Bobbins. Most solvents would probably strip an LSP. they're not gonna take the paintwork off....

Why bother use chemicals, a clay bar will remove tar and clean ur paintwork, would never use any sort of solvent on mine as it will eat away at the paintwork

why drag tar around in a clay bar potentially scratching the paint work....

proper products will not damage the paint

would never use any sort of solvent on mine as it will eat away at the paintwork

I've been using Graffiti remover on mine for 7 years and no paintwork damage yet. It's very strong and should be removed in less than a minute. I always rinse then re apply SRP and wax etc.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.