I have a curious leak on a 1.9D expansion tank pressure cap. After a journey there are signs of coolant seeping from the pressure cap. I have checked the following:

1. Replaced the pressure cap.

2. Replaced the pump.

3. Checked all hoses for any blockages.

4. Checked the oil filler cap and dip stick for signs of coolant in the oil. None, therefore assume the head gasket is sound.

I have noticed that cooland continually flows into the expansion tank from the small hose that comes directly from the cylinder head. My other 1.9D does not do this! Could this indicate a problem somewhere?

The hoses are not overly pressurised when running.

Most grateful for any comments on this if anyone has had similar symptoms. Many thanks.

it could be that the headgasket as failed on one of the exhaust ports which pressurises the system and the coolant cap is venting the pressure when it gets to its release presure psi, i would get the head tested because if the above is happening you wont see mayonaise as such in the water or oil.

As above, it could still be the head gasket. If the pull looks ok that means it's not leaking between the water and the oil but it could be leaking between the water and combustion chamber and thus pressurizing the water.

Is the engine overheating? What is temp. gauge showing? Cooling fan kicking more often? To what level is coolant rising in expansion tank? Too much coolant?

The cooling system is normally pressurized, but as above, you may have too much pressure that may come from a small crack in head gasket or worst case scenario cracked cylinder sleeve/engine block.

The easiest way to find out is to test if the coolant is contaminated with combustion residues. Car shops have a special liquid that changes color when mixed with contaminated coolant. There are lots of videos on YouTube about that.

Edited by adurer

Similar to the above, my friendly MOT station put the probe they normally stick up the exhaust into the header tank. Not right into the coolant, just place the end in the top and if there are exhaust gases in the coolant it will register on their machine.

Happened to my 1.3 felicia gradually got worse turns out it was head gasket but while I had it off sent it for skimming to give a little boost ;) dearest parts for 1.3 was the gasket kit

Hi guys, Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not solved the issue as events have overtaken the repairs.Last week the car was back-ended. Assessor has written it off and settlement from third party insurer is £750. Repair estimate came to over £3,000!!!! I'm happy. Have replaced it with a 2001 Fabia 1.9Tdi Elegance Combi with every extra except cruise control. Thanks anyway.

Let's see if I can back-end my car too then buy that 3,700 miles white Felicia on eBay...

Hi guys, Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not solved the issue as events have overtaken the repairs.Last week the car was back-ended. Assessor has written it off and settlement from third party insurer is £750. Repair estimate came to over £3,000!!!! I'm happy. Have replaced it with a 2001 Fabia 1.9Tdi Elegance Combi with every extra except cruise control. Thanks anyway.

IIRC that can be easily retro-fitted. (It's a doddle on the Octy apparently)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this