Wing mirror indicator replacing and how to remove door panel octy11

hi ive just bought a 07 octavia 1.4 petrol..very happy with the car except for few small things..one being squeaky drivers side window which is driving me nuts..ive tried silicone spray washing up liquid and wd40 nothing worked so tried to remove door panel to put some copper grese on the window tracks i had to stop..ive had several ovtavias and had no preoblem removing door panels but only got as far as removing window switches the three torx screws behind it and the two torx screws underneath the panel. I came to a full stop..any help appreciated.

Also the reflector on my passenger side wing mirror is smashed..any ideas on how to replace??

Any help much appreciated

Not sure on the door card but the wing mirror repeater/indicator is easy.

Tilt the mirror glass down into its lowest position so that you can get your finger tips behind the glass and pull it off.

Becareful when it releases not to pull it away from the wing mirror as you first need to disconnect the connector for the heated mirror glass. Once this glass is off you'll see three Torx screws holding the indicator lens in place.

You need to replace the whole light cluster as its a sealed LED, but they aren't too esxpensive, they can be had on eBay for around £20 delivered.

Does it have the puddle lamp? As if so it is nearer 40 quid. Part number for passenger side is 1z0 949 101 with a c suffix without puddle lamp and d suffix with.

For the door card you need to also remove the screw behind the speaker/mirror switch.

Hope that helps

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

you can see how far i got to replacing the wing mirror indicater/puddle lamp form the pictures attached. i dont have a T10 alan key to remove those last 3 screws (if they are the last piece to the puzzle). do you have to remove them to get the lamp out?

Also after reconnecting everything together again i tested my wing mirror adjuster and now, if i adjust the off side mirror the nearside mirror moves at the same time but in the opposite direction. the near side mirror (the one i slightly dissasembled) still adjusts independantly. WTF!? i am pretty sure they both moved independently before. all i did was disconnect the heating. i left everything else plugged in as there was no need to unplug the cables going into the motor/motor housing.

post-49050-0-17243900-1377695013_thumb.jpg

post-49050-0-36971900-1377695023_thumb.jpg

post-49050-0-17332100-1377695031_thumb.jpg

post-49050-0-31642600-1377695039_thumb.jpg

post-49050-0-66295600-1377695047_thumb.jpg

When adjusting the driver's side the passenger side moves automagically as you've described. I'm guessing (like a number of people who've raised the same issue!) that you've previously never noticed/thought to check.

You can probably get this deactivated using VCDS. I quite like it as it means I can quickly adjust both mirrors down when reverse parking (for those of us that don't have the auto-angle-down-when-selecting-reverse-gear option) and if you're having to adjust both mirrors independently just remember to always to the driver's side first.

• Like 1

If you have maxidot it can be done there rather than vcds. The three torx screws are the last piece of the puzzle, you can pick up the bits cheap in Poundland!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

you can see how far i got to replacing the wing mirror indicater/puddle lamp form the pictures attached. i dont have a T10 alan key to remove those last 3 screws (if they are the last piece to the puzzle). do you have to remove them to get the lamp out?

Also after reconnecting everything together again i tested my wing mirror adjuster and now, if i adjust the off side mirror the nearside mirror moves at the same time but in the opposite direction. the near side mirror (the one i slightly dissasembled) still adjusts independantly. WTF!? i am pretty sure they both moved independently before. all i did was disconnect the heating. i left everything else plugged in as there was no need to unplug the cables going into the motor/motor housing.

Has anyone done this on FL Octavia? Those mirrors are different. Driver side indicator failed on my Scouty, need to be replaced. Already bought a new indicator but have no idea how to disassemble mirror housing.

Thanks for your recommendations in advance!

Edited by Fiko

• 1 year later...

Hi - I think my Octavia is the 'FL' you're asking about - certainly , the mirror is different from those described here.

I had to replace the LED unit in my drivers' door mirror - procedure as follows:

Remove mirror glass (tilt mirror towards ground, use a hairdryer to warm the plastic [if the day is cold - I was working in about 8C], get as many fingers as you can behind the glass and gently prise the glass out - it will come out with a struggle. Be ready to catch it when it eventually grudges it's way out!). If your mirror is heated, remove the terminals from the mirror back.

Remove the two screws holding on the top of the mirror moulding (the body-colour bit)to the die-cast chassis - the pic shows the screws removed from the two arrowed locations. Torx 10 head screws. post-129428-0-95014300-1430859492_thumb.png

Gently push in the two silver clips holding the top down on the chassis - arrowed in blue - whilst pulling up the body. Use your third hand if possible - very handy for this kind of work. post-129428-0-72485600-1430859515_thumb.png

You may have to gently push in the black clips holding the LED assembly on to the bottom front edge of the moulding to get things moving - they fit onto the green arrowed holes on the moulding.

You should be able to lift the top moulding off the mirror chassis - there seems to be nothing holding it on to the back edge. post-129428-0-20612700-1430859534_thumb.png

There are two Torx screws holding on the LED assembly - yellow arrows. 

post-129428-0-25472200-1430859553_thumb.png

On my car, the knock that took out the LED unit also seems to have knocked off the wee bracket for the screw to hold the LED assembly on. Hey-ho!

The LED assembly should come out easily – disconnect the wires and connect up to your new unit.

Re-assembly is the reverse.

Take care to get the silver clips in front of the diecast seat, not behind (like I did at first...) – the purple arrows show how not to do it – the yellow ones show how it should look. post-129428-0-11517600-1430860086_thumb.pngpost-129428-0-50251000-1430860152_thumb.png

The mirror has two ‘prongs’ which fit into the brass guides – once you’ve got it located on these, a firm and slow press in the middle of the mirror will get it back into place. post-129428-0-61357500-1430859577_thumb.png

Job done!

• Like 1

How crap is it that you have to spend £30 or £40 quid just because of a little led that's supposed to last the lifetime of vehicle, due to water ingress because of crappy design.

I did repair & clean mine once, but still had to replace it a few mot's later.

Most issues of water ingress are due to a crack in the lens, which let's face it is likely due to the very location of the LED itself - right on the outer edge of the mirror.

It only needs a small / non-visible crack to allow moisture in, which over time builds up into droplets.

I doubt it is down to the design?

How are most issues known to be due to a crack in the lens, if they are not visible??? Has there been a poll on this? and how would people know if they cannot see it?

It is a crappy design imo if you cannot at least take it apart and clean it or just replace the bulb.

Edited by Tilt

I got mine from Rainworth Skoda's shop on eBay -  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321192081674?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and cost £21. Seemed to be genuine, fitted fine, came in a Skoda box, but made in China. If you give them your reg they will check it fits your car.

Still waiing for my cruise control stalk though! :angel:

How are most issues known to be due to a crack in the lens, if they are not visible??? Has there been a poll on this? and how would people know if they cannot see it?

It is a crappy design imo if you cannot at least take it apart and clean it or just replace the bulb.

There isn't a bulb, it is an LED, this is why it is sealed, there is no reason to get inside.

If moisture is getting inside and causing the LED to fail then the sealed unit is faulty - probably through it being cracked.

There are literally hundreds of threads on here of members asking how to replace the light unit after noticing it was cracked and it filling with water, both pre-FL and FL.

All it takes is a hairline crack.

There isn't a bulb, it is an LED, this is why it is sealed, there is no reason to get inside.

If moisture is getting inside and causing the LED to fail then the sealed unit is faulty - probably through it being cracked.

There are literally hundreds of threads on here of members asking how to replace the light unit after noticing it was cracked and it filling with water, both pre-FL and FL.

Hi Silver. One point imo is that it would be a better design if it was a bulb, rather than an LED. Repaired at the cost of a bulb only. 

I have split mine apart before and cleaned and repaired it and I know the water ingress on mine was inside the mirror and not through the lens. The black casing had come partly unstuck.

And there is the reason to get inside - Because they fail!

And water can get through the join on the mirror housing and very easily through the main opening.

I have not seen all of the mentions of cracked lenses, so I will take your word on this.

It sounds like if the black backing had come away then this was a manufacturing fault?

Water inside the mirror wouldn't normally be an issue because the light unit is sealed.

Had there not been water ingress then it is fair to assume the unit would still be functioning. LED's last far longer than traditional bulbs and in this type of application an LED set-up should easily last the life of the car. This is why VAG make them non-serviceable.

Sounds like you have been unlucky with a product defect rather than it being a poor design in my opinion.

Rearview-Mirror-Turn-Signal-FOR-OCTAVIA-

I have a 7 year old pre-FL Octavia and a 70,000 mile Superb (same LED light unit as the FL Octavia) and haven't suffered water ingress - as yet.

Are the other issues of hundreds of threads, with cracked lenses, as you state, manufacturing faults or product defects, in your opinion then? Obviously you do not think they are poorly designed.

The photo is not the same as my mirrors. Guess they changed the design, maybe because the previous one was crap?

All the threads start off the same, 'how do I remove the light unit', most reveal clipping another car or gate post or they return to the car to find it cracked, either way the lens was damaged somehow. There were some threads with the inside of the lens going green suggesting prolonged exposure to water ingress, but again as far as I can remember this was due to a cracked or damaged lens.

The threads are easy enough to find with a quick search.

If your lens is different then I'm assuming your car is a pre-facelift, in which case it will look similar to this...

$_35.JPG

The same unit as fitted to a VW Polo.

It might be worth checking out the part numbers as these may show different revisions over the years indicating changes, which would support a design flaw.

I was trying to meet you halfway!

Nevermind, despite lots of evidence of water ingress via accidental damage and no evidence of poor design let's just assume that it is indeed a design flaw or 'crap' and put this pointless thread to bed  :dull: