Replacing shocks and springs

Looked through the numerous relevant topics, but did'nt find all the answers I'm after.

Looking at fitting this http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/hr-50mm-cup-lowering-springs-shocks-suspension-kitbr-octavia-1z-14-16-19tdi-20fsi-rs-20t-fsi-20tdi-rs-20tdi-fwd-0403-p-3234.html

With it being the first time replacing any shocks or springs, what would I need to replace while doing the job. The only thing that kept being suggested was to replace the top mounts. Wheres the best place to purchase these? Also what I think are called the bump stops look chewed up, do I need to fit new ones to the replacement shocks, or because I'm not fitting genuine skoda parts, they wont be required?

Thanks.

go for a SKF top mount kit from eurocarparts

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_2.0_2006/p/car-parts/suspension-and-steering/suspension/suspension-mounting/?669440170&1&d3160a830399dfc1de47d4192c84223112d0ddd2&000346

if the bump stops look a bit chewed its worth changing them too but from experience the front ones tend to be fine and its the rear ones that take most of the punishment,

they are original equipment quality and includes the bearings which are normally extra, only the front mounts are required as the rear mount can be reused

you may also want to replace some of the stretch bolts as they can be pretty rusty

Dunno if it's a general thing, but had expensive coilovers on my golf G60 and it absolutely killed it!! Got rid pretty sharpish and went for standard springs with top adjustable Konis all round and it handled like a go cart and felt like a driving a comfy armchair. Absolutley beautiful and would go back to that set up every time.

Would never touch coilovers again on a road car as every one I've been in is too stiff compared to just springs & dampers, even on soft settings. Perfect for track day, but that's about it, in my opinion. Been told by numerous knowledgable people with a lot of experience fitting, racing and just tinkering that it's the dampers that make the car handle and ride better, shortening the springs is for aesthetics only, just to tart it up and does virtually nothing for stability, and using stiffer springs just makes the ride harsher, and from my own lengthy experience with Golfs, pre octy, I've no reason to doubt either of those statements are incorrect.

Edited by blackspaven
  • Like 2

Blackspaven, thanks for making deciding what suspension kit to buy even more confusing lol!

i need new suspension post MOT fail and wanted to upgrade for about a year but never could justify it. really at a loose end as to get spring and damper set or coilover's.... im thinking at least the coilovers are adjustable if i hate the ride height being to low?

PRW8 chck these h&r coils out they are £100 more then the kit your looking at and can be adjusted... http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/coilover-suspension-kits/car/skoda/octavia-04-on/hr-twin-tube-coilover-kit-type-1-lowers-front-40-70mm-rear-30-60mm-2

Edited by DRYDEN

I do like the idea of coilovers, but the quality of the roads around my area are awful. I find even the ride on standard suspension quite crashy (could be the reason why replacement of the rear shocks was recommended on it's last service) So I'm thinking matched shocks and springs are the way to go.

OK, So for the job I just need a pair of front mounts, rear bumpstops and stretch bolts. Would I be better speaking to Skoda parts and asking them what bolts etc I need?

here are the bolt/nut part numbers, you don't need to get them from skoda if you have a VW, SEAT or TPS parts department closer to home

N90648402 – QTY4  rear shock mount bolts
N10106402 - QTY 2 Front suspension - Strut Pinch nut
N90954802 - QTY 2 front Suspension  strut pinch bolt

N10127707 - QTY 6 Front suspension - Strut Mount Top Bolts

Edited by wiilydog
  • Like 1

I'm running H&R coilovers and the ride is less crashy than the OE setup.

Agree there are kits out there that are too firm for potholed roads but it's all down to the spring and damper rates.

exactly.

there are so many kits out there you cant say X kind of suspension is rubbish because you bought the wrong kit for your needs.

Also, remember you have coilovers at the front anyway. Coilover suspension is nothing more than coil OVER the shock which is why your fronts are.

• Like 1

Blackspaven, thanks for making deciding what suspension kit to buy even more confusing lol!

i need new suspension post MOT fail and wanted to upgrade for about a year but never could justify it. really at a loose end as to get spring and damper set or coilover's.... im thinking at least the coilovers are adjustable if i hate the ride height being to low?

PRW8 chck these h&r coils out they are £100 more then the kit your looking at and can be adjusted... http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/coilover-suspension-kits/car/skoda/octavia-04-on/hr-twin-tube-coilover-kit-type-1-lowers-front-40-70mm-rear-30-60mm-2

You're welcome. :)

I found the coilovers to be very crashy, regardless of how soft they were set, and bearing in mind these were really THE top of the line model for a MkII Golf, and as I said before, people in the know have pointed out to me that ride height is only really aesthetic and has little to do with comfort as the difference in spring height is pretty minimal (and personal experience makes me tend to agree with them), it's the dampers that are the key to comfort & ride, so if you're happy with how your car looks now, just get new uprated dampers and the same height springs. If you want lower, you only have to buy more springs; the dampers will sensibly work universally on any of them. I have no doubt that those same coilovers would have made the car absolutely awesome on a track though, but as far as I'm aware, that's what they're more designed for.

Sounds like you're set on coils though, as was I before I actually fitted them. Again, when I get to your position eventually, I'll be going straight for Koni top adjustables and standard springs. If it wasn't for the fact it's a bit unnecessary cos my suspension is fine, I'd have them on right now.

Just my opinion and experience. :)

Edited by blackspaven

It's worth researching the difference between spring rate and damping, personally for a road car in the UK I want a good long throw spring with high levels of damping so you you'll get low speed comfort into potholes but good wheel control. The track is altogether a different proposition, and best kept there. 

On the road body roll per se is not so bad, in fact it probably helps in the perception of speed and therefore controlling it. The problem is toe and camber change in under roll load conditions. Fix them and you've got a road set up that will allow you to drive right up to the limit of grip with no surprises, and that's what it's all about really.

If the roads around you are rubbish, does buying a 50mm drop H&R kit make sense? 

After speaking with Damian @ DPM, I narrowed my choice down to some Weitec springs & shocks or some AP coilovers. Went with the coilovers in the end... Yes, the ride is more firm than standard but the car stays a lot flatter in the twists and looks a million times better with a decent drop on it (nowt silly).

• Like 1

From what I've read, the vrs sits 20mm lower than the standard octavia, so I'll only be achieving a 30mm drop. I'm trying to find a middle ground as I think the standard vrs sits a bit too high for a performance model, but then I want something that gives confidence in the twisty bits and feels planted, but not too firm that passengers complain about the ride.

• 4 weeks later...

This is all very confusing now. I was considering an Eibach Pro kit for the VRS CR as I only want it about 25 - 30mm lower. Dont want problems with potholes etc.

Will the pro kit do what I want?

If I considered 50mm drop, what springs would I need and would they work with the standard shocks? Would they also work with uprated shocks if I replace the shocks later?

Dave

here are two useful guides based on golf mk5 which is what the octavia is based upon

method one based on removing the front axle

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4330188-Koni-Coilover-Install-DIY&highlight=Koni+DIY

or method two which does not involve the front axle

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5309867-DIY-Front-Suspension-%28Easier-Method%29

• Like 1