2004 fabia vrs remap? Who's the man for the job!

Hi all, I have a 2004 fabia vrs, it's done 150k but it has good service history, I have a green cotton panel filter & pd160 intake but I want to get her remapped. I live in West Sussex & will happily travel 80-100 miles to have this done but I don't want any cowboys playing with my car! So just want a good bit of advise really. Cheers

Get rid of the green cotton filter though, they are el crappo.

Unless of course you want to feed your turbo little rusty bits of metal.

And Shark or Unit18 should do you proud on the mapping.

Pic borrowed from Pastyboy

IMG_6353.jpg

It shocked me when I found out how little Shark pay for their maps from the guy who does them in Scandinavia...

It shocked me when I found out how little Shark pay for their maps from the guy who does them in Scandinavia...

Sorry to be picky Andy, but Mikko is Finnish, Finland isn't part of Scandinavia. He also lives in Mansfield. And he does keep bugging me for a raise :(

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You seem to have an issue with people selling their skills for money.

The truth is that it's dead easy to get power from a 1.9 TDi. You can do it with a resistor. All you have to do is put as much diesel as possible into the cylinder and make it go bang. It'll be smokey as anything, but you'll get loads of power. You can get the remap from ebay for £2 and an OBDC mapping tool for about £10. So why are remappers still in business?

Why would anyone pay a mechanic to work on their car for that matter. Everyone knows why they're called stealers!

It's like any service provided by anyone. I don't know how to change the brake disks on my cars. So I pay someone to do it. Do I pay just anyone to do it? No, I pay someone I know knows what they are doing and that I trust not to rip me off.

That's why Shark can charge anything at all for a remap you or I could do ourselves for a fraction of the price. They know what they are doing and they can be trusted not to rip you off. I think most tuners claim 170-180bhp from their stage 1 map and Shark claim 160-165 or something. My Fabia vRS STANDARD was tested at 148bhp so why would I get a Shark map? Because the car drives totally differently when it's mapped by Shark. Instead of that short burst of oomph you get a much steadier pull all the way to the red line. The Shark map isn't about headline figures, it's about driveability and mechanical sympathy. I had my old Audi TT custom mapped by Shark and on one set of runs the torque generated was phenomenal. I wanted to keep it like that and Shark said no. Shark wouldn't give me as much torque as I wanted because they knew ultimately that it would damage my car, so they tweaked it back.

Why do people keep going back to Shark, car after car after car? Because they can be trusted not to damage your car and put a smile on your face every time. Could I get it cheaper elsewhere? Possibly, and maybe one day I will. Until then, I get my cars mapped at Shark. I drive past JabbaSport to get to Shark. And a REVO dealer. I like Shark. Loads of others like Shark. I suspect that most folks like Shark except their competitors.

JabbaSport in Peterborough have a long reputation of quality work

I found the problem with JabbaSport was getting hold of someone when I had problems. Not even big problems. I had a defective Koni shock absorber with a lifetime warranty that was bought from JabbaSport and I wanted it RMA'd but Kevin or whoever was always on the rolling road and never called me back. Eventually another company saw one of my posts about being unable to RMA Koni and did it for me. And then there is their infamously optimistic rolling road which over-reads by at least 10-20bhp.

Certainly, if you want a grand project done (like the CitiGoGo) then they'll swing into action, but if it's something routine service related, Shark beat them hands down every time.

I found the problem with JabbaSport was getting hold of someone when I had problems. Not even big problems. I had a defective Koni shock absorber with a lifetime warranty that was bought from JabbaSport and I wanted it RMA'd but Kevin or whoever was always on the rolling road and never called me back. Eventually another company saw one of my posts about being unable to RMA Koni and did it for me. And then there is their infamously optimistic rolling road which over-reads by at least 10-20bhp.

Certainly, if you want a grand project done (like the CitiGoGo) then they'll swing into action, but if it's something routine service related, Shark beat them hands down every time.

You find with most tuning companies that communication could be improved.

Jabba have lasted the test of time and I often come across there customers posts and very few have anything negative to say about them.