Best and worst bits Fabia VRS....your oppinions

LexVRS

So what are the best and worst bits you guys have found? interested to see what's what when I finally get my new car and give it a proper drive.... until then I can ask you guys and let you voice your opinions

Best:

Easy to drive quickly.

Nice seats.

Looks and load space of the estate.

Worse:

Smooth linear performance is boring, it's quicker than it feels.

Cheap plastic dials for heating and shift paddles.

Hatch looks too thin and tall.

Best:

Accessibility of the performance

Smoothness

DSG gearbox

MPG relative to its BHP

Looks (estate version)

Worst

Oil usage (mine uses a little, nothing that I worry about though)

Interior could be a little better

It's too quiet in full chat

Ermmmmmmmmm that's it :-)

• Like 1

Best: 

The sound at full chat 

2 hands on the wheels adds confidence when encountering challenging situations 

Seats are nice

clever storage ideas

Worst 

Dash is rubbish but functional

Suercharger not loud enough 

Good things

• Best bang per buck on the road (except motorbikes of course).
  • Quite economical ie low 40s mpg is entirely possible
  • Now on variable servicing, hurray

Bad things:-

• Needs to be lowered, by at least 25 mm as standard, wallows in to corner
  • Hate the ideal if 25 kgs of ballast weight hanging on the rear bumper.  I will get it off soon as I carry a spare wheel etc.
  • Like 1

Think this is a dangerous thread, please dont let any negative comments taint your view of the car before you even get in it.

Positives for me:

Cracking twincharged engine, gives car bags of pace in any gear.

DSG box is a genuine best of both worlds

Get decent economy out of mine ( over 20mpg when given maximum beans, avg 35-38mp mixed driving and 45mpg on the motorway

Insurance was unusually cheap

Negatives:

Suspension as stock manages to be soft in the corners and bangs about over bad roads (plenty of them by me)

Cabin rattles are a pet hate of mine and my car produces them faster than I can fix them

Tyre drone on motorways is louder than I had expected.

Do I love my VRS........yes

• Like 1

A bit of repetition, but what the heck...

Best:

DSG 7 speed gearbox. Much, much better than the ye olde auto's of old

I like the steering wheel shape

The media connections under the glove box + 32Gb USB drive = music heaven

I like the styling of the wheels.

I like the colour of mine - blue ( I like the green ones too)

The boot is a decent size.

Good MPG for a 180bhp petrol car

Worst/Niggles

The instruments look dull. Even my old 51 plate octavia vrs I had ages ago had a touch of chrome/silver on the dials. Not the poor fabia tho - needs to look more sporty here.

The speakers in the front doors are OK quality but some more sound insulation would stop them rattling the door cards when turned up

No electric windows in the back. Seriously?

Whole interior needs a sprinkle of bling.

cool keep it coming tbh I ask as I am trying to get lots of views

My car is Green black roof black alloys red interior .... Looks so cool in my opinion and pretty evil

However this is where my market research comes in... I have every option except the sunroof and smokers pack (no point in a sunroof in my opinion and don't ever smoke in the car) so therefore I can see what the general consensus is rather than falling for all my options

Nice to know insurance is cheap gives me confidence that I will definitely save money in the long run over what my octy costs in upkeep each year

cool keep it coming tbh I ask as I am trying to get lots of views

My car is Green black roof black alloys red interior .... Looks so cool in my opinion and pretty evil

However this is where my market research comes in... I have every option except the sunroof and smokers pack (no point in a sunroof in my opinion and don't ever smoke in the car) so therefore I can see what the general consensus is rather than falling for all my options

Nice to know insurance is cheap gives me confidence that I will definitely save money in the long run over what my octy costs in upkeep each year

Thought I was an oddity but others have posted similar experience, my VRS came in cheaper than a same year same mileage Peugeot 5008 1.6HDI???? I think some insurers forgot to look past the fact that this is in strict technical terms a 5 door 1.4 petrol skoda

• Like 1

Best bits

Fabia fits all the wifes fishing gear in when she goes fishing, simple fold of the seats.

Easy to drive

lively! 

Bad bits,

It belongs to the wife and I have to ask to borrow it!

I have to fill it with petrol

I have to tax it too

Seriously, I hate the way the doors fill with water! Strange.

Also the silly rattles on the door card and dials is annoying too

Headlights are poo 

Good:

Awesome engine ( I've had two and never had any oil issues)

DSG rocks, I will never go back to manual now

Handling is now also brilliant ( I have eibachs fitted from new, and now have an H&R RARB..)

Price, bargin!

I can get 55 mpg on the way to work...

In short, best car I've ever owned

Looks ( I have a black estate, black wheels)

Worst:

Reflections of dash in windscreen

Plain interior

That's all I can think of...

• Like 1

will add it to the mud flaps

any other performance options or just rubbish ones like bumper strips

(i must say i like the look of the black front splitter on some peoples cars )

Pro's

Great engine & gearbox combo.

Performance for a 1.4

Low road tax compared to my previous car

Good fuel economy, regularly getting above 36/37 on a short 6 mile trip to work, easily 40+ on long runs.

The colour combo

Not many people know what it is (See below) Positive is they don't know how quick it is.

Con's

Keep fit rear windows

Ride height is way too high

Car seems narrow, needs to spread its shoulders slightly

Gentle misfire on idle on cold starts, not throwing on any checklights

The fact the dials are difficult to see in certain lights

Not many people know what it is - Often get the "It's a diesel innit" comments

Mine's developed a nasty smell after switching the A/C off. Had Skoda look at it on the 2nd year service, and the A/C treatment didn't sort it.

Nice to hear you have added some kit Lex.

The climatronic is well worth it as it replaces those three cheap plastic dials on the dash with something more classy and better suited to a car with a list price over £10k.

• Like 1

Pros:

• Bang for buck performance (nothing to match it in Australia at present).
  • Subtle, sleeper appearance (in white, anyway).
  • Fuel economy (relative to performance on offer).

Cons:

• Oil use (1L per 4000km for me)
  • Dash area lacks a touch of aluminium/piano black highlights.
  • Skoda's (a touch) too conservative styling - a couple of curves here and there wouldn't hurt, even slightly at the expense of, say, rear headroom.

+

Great performance for its price / lots of fun with many "supposed" better cars on the road

More space than any other car in this category, both in back seats and the boot.

DSG

-

Mainly the suspension/handling which is not on par with the engine/box combo. Easily fixed though with springs-rarb upgrades. Consider it a "Sports Pack" addition which you would have bought from factory!

Some cost-cutting choices here  and there that result in some road noise / dash rattles / crashy rides at certain occasions but nothing dramatic.

PS. There most certainly are electric rear windows, I have them on mine. Guess they mustn't be standard on the UK version as in the French one. Climatronic is also standard here so I have no idea of the plastic dials some people refer to. Defo worth it imho even if its an extra over there.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

great great keep em coming lots of varying opinions and also lots of consistent answers

i have all the options covered and mine is fully loaded (except  pointless sunroof)

the rattles and squeaks I can live with I have had Skoda's as my past 2 cars and they both had them....I call it personality or your own pet dashboard mouse

as for road noise tyres will give differing levels and i blast out music so neither here nor there

Best bits.........blistering speed, wolf wearing sheep's clothing look, easy overtaking, dsg gearbox ( never want a manual again )

Bad bits..........no locking petrol cap, bad wheel design

IMO One of the best cars on the road today ,underestimate the Fabia vRS if you dare......... :giggle:

Edited by bingo765

Good:

Almost everything, Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, mainly for the sound and performance.

Bad:

Alloys; they stick out from the tyre and I have already curbed the two left side ones after only a month of having it :( 

DSG Gearbox; It's an amazing little bit of kit but I would probably have had it in a manual if they did offer it

If you had a manual box its unlikely you would be selected 2nd gear by 5 mph or been sitting in 5th at 40

& maybe 7th at 50 mph.

Which is what the Supercharger & Turbo really need to be getting, to perform the way they do performance & economy wise.

The Twincharger would not be what it is with 5 even 6 manual gears and a driver using a clutch.

& they would not fit a 7 speed manual.

george

This was available.

How many clutch or engine problems might there have been if this went into the Fabia?

http://www.streetfire.net/video/031-fith-gear-vw-golf-gt-tsi-twincharger_170574.htm