New to the site, new skoda owner. needs help!

Hi ive got a 1.4 fabia Tsi Vrs. On a 61 plate, and seem to be having a slight problem with the steering.

It's a funny one as im an MOT tester and i have never come across a problem like this before.

The problem is, the steering is out but its intermittent :wonder:  i could go round a corner and it would be fine, then take another turn and its out (if the top of the steering wheel is 12 o'clock, when its out its roughly 2 o'clock). never curbed the wheels, never bumped the car, ive hit pot holes but not hard enough to cause damage (manchester roads  :@ )

the one thing i have done is swap the front and rear wheels round due to tyre wear.

i did take it back under warranty they found nothing.

Any help or advice would be great.

Welcome to the forum.

If you are a mechanic and can not find anything, but know it is wrong,

best take it back and leave it with them until they do find and sort the fault, replacement steering rack or whatever it needs.

Was it fine before changing tyres front to rear & only a problem afterwards?

Tyre Pressures adjusted and all correct?

george

Think MilgeS is talking about the differential, but this has nothing to do with the steering mechanism. Even though there is electrical assistance, the connection between the steering and road wheels is a mechanical link. Have you checked the universal joint between the steering column and the steering rack for slippage - it will either be splined or have the relative positions fixed with a pin. Either way, I would not really want to drive as you could end up with no directional control if the problem "develops".

• Like 1

As Seboni wrote. I think I have read about it again, but I cannot remember if it was on Roomster or Fabia I Section. Nevertheless I think it has to do with steering angle sensor or yaw sensor in case the car is equipped with ESP, but as I am not a car mechanic and my memory is not very vivid, please do not take that as a fact.

This excellent post from Tech1e may help.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/186217-fabia-power-steering-problem

One thing is clear,

The Skoda Technicians that had the car in the OP to check, should have checked better, if there is still a problem unresolved.

on the other Steering problem many report, Pulling to the left, and it now gets new tyres fitted.

It is interesting looking at old threads to see how often and long that has been going on for.

& still is to this very day.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/189230-vrs-steering-issues

antbVRS88, could you clarify the exact symptom, I am reading it that when you have rounded a corner and return to the straight ahead position, the top of the steering wheel could be at either 12 o'clock or 2 o'clock, where other people appear to be reading that its the angle sensor which I think would only give differences in steering "weight".

The car will need plugged in, there is a possibility that someone changed the setting for Steering Assistance.

Had the car steering Assistance set for 'Disabled Assistance' ie lighter more assisted steering.

This is unlikely, but it is a check that should be done.

(Disabled driver and giving more assistance,

does not give the symptom as described in the OP, but until you drive on that setting you do not know what it does feel like.)

I have driven cars that the minute i got in it was obvious the Steering had been set to Less Assistance,

the Mechanics & salespeople knew nothing about it.

george

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses everybody I've been away for a few days. My car has been back to a skoda dealer twice since I've had it although the skoda dealer nearest to me is a Renault/Dacia/Skoda dealer so only 1/3rd of a decent place.

antbVRS88, could you clarify the exact symptom, I am reading it that when you have rounded a corner and return to the straight ahead position, the top of the steering wheel could be at either 12 o'clock or 2 o'clock, where other people appear to be reading that its the angle sensor which I think would only give differences in steering "weight".

Imagine driving in a perfect straight line with the steering wheel perfectly straight, then you take a right or left corner put the wheel perfectly straight and the car wonders to the left.

I've checked everything and found nothing. One of my mates has just got a job for skoda in Manchester I hope he comes across it.

If you brake firmly after cornering and the steering is 'out', what happens then? Does the steering return to a normal position. It's my bet it's esp related and you have a brake dragging either front or back, but just lightly and it is being countered by you having to steer slightly off centre. Does that make sense to you? 

If you brake firmly after cornering and the steering is 'out', what happens then? Does the steering return to a normal position. It's my bet it's esp related and you have a brake dragging either front or back, but just lightly and it is being countered by you having to steer slightly off centre. Does that make sense to you?

Yes, I've never really thought of that ill try it tomorrow at work. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

& if anyone reads the 'Pulling Left thread',  they see the cars that have had Tracking & Alignment checks, and many times.

Some over and over again,

then maybe sent to an Audi Garage to have it done correctly.

Alignment checks are only as good as the person doing and understanding them 

Then Alignment Adjustment where required, being done correctly.

Then after all the Checks and Adjustments and nothing is any better, Skoda say it is the Tyres and Fit Pirelli, and that might or might not help.

But the still deliver new cars wearing Dunlops and Continentals.

(why do Skoda never publicily say, Dunlop Tyres are rubbish and they make faulty tyres,

would that be because Dunlop might say, Skoda are poor at fitting tyres correctly and also put poorly set up cars off the production line.)

Skoda have a UK Camber Problem. but also a Mainland Europe fault,

if you drive a UK Car that pulls left in the UK, it still pulls left in Mainland Europe.

Pirelli Tyres are not the solution,

because the Owner might want other tyres fitted in a few years, and the car will never have been correctly sorted to not pull left.

george

• Like 1

But there are only 2 wheels that can be adjusted though aren't there?

yes there is but i have a mate that tracked the front wheels and said they were ok.

that tells me 1) he doesnt know what hes doing. 2) the skoda dealer i took it to does.  :happy:

• Like 1