Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance :-)

The Goodyear Eagle F1 is on special at Camskill ATM, only £89.99 a tyre that is phenomenal value for that tyre.

A for Wet Grip

C for Fuel Efficiency

70 db noise

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p109670/Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_Eagle_F1_Asymmetric_2_-_225_40_R18_92Y_XL_FP_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Aspman,

Had some of these fitted to my Partners Fabia vRS MK2 which were previously shod with Conti 2. 

This was after reading the test undertaken by Autoexpress.

Noise level reduced and ,mpg is marginally better.

Both grip in all condition has improved and mileage is looking about on par, as currently fronts are at 17000, having not swapped back and front this time.

Still within 1 mm of warning ridge . Rears are still at 4 mm depth.

Note! Contis after back to front changed at 1st service lasted until 25000.

She is a brisk driver, so pretty good , especially as the majority of her journeys are A and B twisting and Town stop /start Wiltshire roads.

• Like 1

If anybody is interested and cant be bothered with the hassle of Camskill and such alike F1 Autocentres are doing fully fitted 225/40/18 Eagle F1's for £104 and Efficient Grip Performance for £106.

Just had mine changed again. I had previously Efficient Grip Performance on the rear which were good until as someone else mentioned they saw toothed. Now have a set of Efficient Grips on the front and Eagle F1's on the back. Why... they didnt have four of either!

In any case I rate both the F1's and Efficient Grips. Both quiet (more so than the Contact Sport 5's beforehand) and dry and wet grip is good.

I had two fitted to the rear of my 2011 VRS and I'm very impressed. The noise levels dropped noticeably (I do an 80-mile round-trip to work each day, so I really do notice it), my long-term MPG is now 49.5MPG rather than 48MPG and I'm frequently seeing 52+MPG on a cruise (57MPG is my highest!). Braking performance is more assured, especially in the wet, noticeably so compared to the Pirellis I had before (I HATE Pirelli).

I'm not much of a street racer so I can't say much about ultimate handling, but on the occasions I have had a little play they've not made me worry or feel concerned at all.

I'm looking forward to the front Pirellis running low now :)

• 1 year later...

hi, just wondering if any recent experiences of the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance ( for putting on a petrol VRS ). Mine came with Falken Evos, and I've never had a tyre that understeered so much , or wheel spun under acceleration .  Changing them as live in Scotland, and I really feel that these are unsafe in the wet . About to buy a set of the Goodyears, but have just come across other reviews that talk about very soft tyre walls, which completely ruin the handling .  My main object is safety and comfort, as the VRS is primarily a family car, but trying to achieve that without turning my sports taxi into a barge!  Thanks

thanks . I actually have Avon Zv5s on my Volvo S60 T5, which have never let me down and no wheelspin or understeer in the wet, unless you're driving it like you stole it!  I would go straight for them, but the Goodyears seem to come tops on quietness as well. As said, main thing is safety, then quietness, then handling ( as I'm trying to be a grown up and going to have a kid in the back )....handling would still be nice though .  If I had a short list then on research so far would be  :

Current Avons

Goodyear Efficient Grip Perfomance

Eagle Asymetrics

Uniroyal rainsports

Latter 2, due to comments on these forums . Apologies as I know this has been gone over before, just don't want to spend £400-500 and then regret it .

Think my Falkens are 912 Evos . Dreadful/dangerous

I'm running the efficient grip on my Diesel VRS.

So far the grip has been good in both the wet and the dry. Like any tire if you drive like a loon it will wheel spin.

I used to run them on a Volvo V50, again with good results.

However they are crap in the snow !!!

Noise levels in the car have also dropped, from memory the DB rating is about 97. It was the lowest I could find at the time.

thanks . I actually have Avon Zv5s on my Volvo S60 T5, which have never let me down and no wheelspin or understeer in the wet, unless you're driving it like you stole it! I would go straight for them, but the Goodyears seem to come tops on quietness as well. As said, main thing is safety, then quietness, then handling ( as I'm trying to be a grown up and going to have a kid in the back )....handling would still be nice though . If I had a short list then on research so far would be :

Current Avons

Goodyear Efficient Grip Perfomance

Eagle Asymetrics

Uniroyal rainsports

Latter 2, due to comments on these forums . Apologies as I know this has been gone over before, just don't want to spend £400-500 and then regret it .

Think my Falkens are 912 Evos . Dreadful/dangerous

Some more for your list

- Michelin pilot sport 3. Not efficiency focused like the efficientgrip, but has much better wet and dry traction. My remapped petrol vrs had these on the front when I got it and were very good. Lots and lots and lots of grip, not noisy

- Bridgestone Potenza s001 - running these on the front atm, the PS3s have been relegated to rear end duty. Again very grippy, great stopping performance. Not as grippy as the PS3 but they lose grip much more gradually - so you feel them start to slip before it's an issue

- Continental Sportcontact 5 - not used these yet but ran the SC2 exclusively on my last car. One of the best tyres around for cars like this, win tyre group tests over and over

- Vredstein ultrac sessanta - very well regarded and reviewed, supposed to be very grippy although soft sidewalls. Look pretty cool too, very cheap compared to the others but with comparable performance

Id not put budget tyres on any car, it's the only thing between you and the road and even slow cars need to stop quickly sometimes. The vrs warrants a good all round performance tyre - even in the 18" they're not expensive sizes so putting cheap Chinese crap on there doesn't make sense to me. I'll probably start fitting the SC5 as standard - ended up with the bridgestones as they were the best my local tyre place had after a weekend tyre emergency.. Really rate them but I think the conti will be better

Edited by iaind1
  • Like 1

On a petrol vrs I would choose Eagle F1 assymetric 2's over efficient grips every time. Efficient grips are good tyres if you want a longer lasting tyre but if you want the best grip especially in the wet it has to be the assymetric 2's. Pilot sport 3 are also a good tyre for grip having had those and assymetric 2's on my petrol vrs's I would choose the assymetric 2's

• Like 2

I had them on a petrol VRS and again on my Accord.

They are quiet and grippy but don't give a massive amount of feel. I think that's down to the softer sidewalls

The mpg claims also appear to be true, I've had decent gains on both cars more so on the VRS (got an extra 3mpg overall).

I'll need to change my rears before winter and I'll be putting them on again.

interestingly saw a post on another forum by a traffic cop. they run various VRSs, Volvo V70 T5s and BMW 530d . All run on Eagle F1s

In our force, the VRS's use Dunlops and the 530d's use GY Eagle NCT5 runflats. The Goodyears are excellent and really inspire confidence. At 140mph around a sweeping motorway bend, you need faith in the tyres!

• Like 1

Thanks Allan888 .  Noise wise how are the Eagle F1s, as hear the Efficeint Grips are very quiet ? .  Getting close to going for the F1s . thanks

At the moment im running eagle f1's on my petrol mk3 vrs estate with the 19" extremes, they are much quieter than the pirelli p-zero's they replaced at 3000 miles, they grip much much better too which for me was the most important thing

• Like 1

apologies apologies!   I couldn't work out why my current Falcons are so appalling in the wet, when other people are saying they are Ok. That is because they are not Falcons , they are Federals !  592 EVos   

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Federal/595EVO.htm

46% in the wet . rubbish ,

still off to get the Goodyear F1s

• 1 month later...

Is there much of a difference between the 'regular, EfficientGrip and the 'Performance' version? Tyreleader have the EG for £76.91 delivered. It's labelled as a demo tyre (but new) and is the XL version, which might suit Devon's shoddy roads!

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/goodyear/efficientgrip/225-50-r17-94w-371458

I had EG on the focus (prior to the vrs) and i thought they were great, I do agree that they have softer sidewalls though can make them feel wallowy at times, does anyone have an opinion on Michelin PS3? or are they a bit ott for the VRs?

I know costco do them for £98 fitted, so when a rebate style offer comes on im tempted to take a punt.

Edited by Degrasse

I have MAZ1s too and I HATE them.  Noisey and terrible in the wet. I feel nervous taking corners slowly in the wet with these almost.  I hate to waste them but I really can't wait for them to be due a change...

Auric Goldfinger, I've used Barum on my last Citroen C5 and for what you pay they're brilliant tyres .. I've two on the back of my Octavia just now but only had the Car a month so can't comment to much but I'd honestly happily buy them ... Peter

Edited by labman1001