Dubai/UAE - anyone lived there.

slider

Son has just moved theer to work on a 2 year contract. Company are putting him up in a hotel until he finds his own accommodation

Any one lived there and can give any info?. Cost of living, cost of accommodation, public transport or will he be better to buy a car, places to live/avoid etc etc.

He will he working in the Lakes area as head chef in a new restaurant. I believe this is near Emirate Hills Golf Club and the race course

Mate live in Dubai for about 10yr now live in Qatar.

cost of living is high but for different things than here. Energy is cheap, so 'leccy and petrol are pennies. Accomodation is extortionate. You don't want to own anything because the Sheik can (and has before) decided to put down a motorway anywhere he likes and if your house is in the way, tough. No compulsary purchase he'll just take it.

My mate was about £20k a year to rent a modest 2 bed flat.

If he has a lass he wants to take he'd better like her a lot coz he'll have to marry her. No cohabiting without a ring.

Tell him to get used to being a second class citizen. Arabs are top of the hill, westeners second. Just be glad he's not Asian.

Life circles around work, nights out are restricted to hotels so the Friday brunch is a bit of a do.

It's not for everyone.

• Like 1

I'm about to move the family over in the next few weeks. Aspman has it about right. Accomodation is the big expense, and rent is eyewatering. However, most employers give either an accommodation allowance or company accommodation, which may include utility bills. If he is a single guy, then his money will go further, and there is an abundance of apartments to rent all over the city, with most of the newer developments to the South West close to the Lakes area.

The Lakes is quite a way from the Metro system, and I doubt he would want to use the buses. However, taxis are cheap and reliable, but most likely he will want to take a long-term hire car or to buy. I've heard lots of bad things about car dealers out there, and given the number of accidents on the road a used car is probably not a great idea unless he really knows what he is looking for.

There is lots of info on the web, as you might imagine, and a number of Expat Forums where you will see lots of responses to the kind of questions you may have from people with first hand experience. It is generally a very clean and safe place to live, very modern and for an Arab country, very relaxed and cosmopolitan. Money is the big issue, but it is possible to get by if you are sensible.

Thank all. Son is settling in and loving it so far. His comments about costs echo those here. Rent expensive as is eating out, but as a chef that cuts both ways for him. Some things including transport dead cheap.he is taxing everywhere just now and is considering getting a car but says driving is scary

He is single and on a pretty decent salary by our standards. Being put up for the first wee while then gets an accommodation allowance. Won't cover it all but will help

Edited by slider

.he is taxing everywhere just now and is considering getting a car but says driving is scary

Rules of the road in Dubai -

If you are an Arab and you hit anyone that isn't an Arab it's their fault

If you are a Westerner and you hit an Arab it's your fault

If you are a Westerner and you hit and Asian it's his fault.

If you are Asian and anyone hits you it's your fault.

Of course it's not that simple. You have to divide up the Asian population in their hierarchy.

It's an ultramodern city dropped in a country that's still 300yr in the past.

Rules of the road in Dubai -

If you are an Arab and you hit anyone that isn't an Arab it's their fault

If you are a Westerner and you hit an Arab it's your fault

If you are a Westerner and you hit and Asian it's his fault.

If you are Asian and anyone hits you it's your fault.

Of course it's not that simple. You have to divide up the Asian population in their hierarchy.

It's an ultramodern city dropped in a country that's still 300yr in the past.

You missed off "if you hit a camel"

• 2 months later...

Probably taking Mustangs like a king 

With the Fabia, I did. Around corners. And then with the Camaro SS many years later, on corners AND straights. And now with the Focus ST, only on corners.

Can't believe that line is still being quoted.

Hey Chris!

With the Fabia, I did. Around corners. And then with the Camaro SS many years later, on corners AND straights. And now with the Focus ST, only on corners.

Hey Chris!

So much more than just a quote now.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?/topic/269132-General-Skoda-MEMES-(Caution...-thread-contains-some-swearing)#entry3505608'> http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?/topic/269132-General-Skoda-MEMES-(Caution...-thread-contains-some-swearing)#entry3505608

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hey Chris!

Quite possibly the most quoted line in briskoda history 

• Like 2