1st Gear vs Reverse - is it me?

Rab-k

Don't know what is causing this but I've been caught out a couple of times - been sat (stationary) at lights/junction and once having selected 1st gear (or so I thought) have moved off only to find I'm going backwards!

Only fast footwork on my part has prevented me hitting the car behind, but I fear that it is only a matter of time...

I don't recall feeling any difference in selecting reverse when I'd actually intended selecting 1st - no sensation of passing through a 'gate' or depressing the gear stick in any way.

Any ideas (other than my driving style - which for once I genuinely don't believe is the issue) as to what could cause this? Slack springs somewhere perhaps?

You have to push down to select reverse so if you are doing it without knowing I would presume you have a problem, potentially with your gear linkage.

I've had this a 2 times last month, and no I didn't push downward the leaver, so quite surprised reverse got selected.

Maybe the gate reverse/first gear, getting spongy.

Sounds like you have a problem as you really do need to make an effort to press down to be able to engage reverse.

Either that or your left hand is very heavy!

Dunno about heavy left hand, but its happened to me three times now and twice to SWMBO.

Messing about with the engine off I've found there is a sweet spot, for want of a better description, where just the slightest pressure downward will select reverse, but it is nowhere near the pressure used to positively select reverse gear.

I had the car in at the dealers about 18 months ago as it was a pig to get into 1st. Sometimes it managed no probs, other times you had to lift the clutch and start again.

Dealer found nothing awry and just bunged more grease in the box. Still 5k miles left until warranty runs out so back it goes...

• 9 months later...

I've got this problem too - what I assume to be the gear linkages being worn.

Has anyone here actually had this work done? Assuming your car is not still under warranty, how much did the work cost?

There have been several posts similar to this over the years.

Some element of the gearbox / linkage wears reducing the resistence that is normally only overcome when the gearlever is pushed down which then allows reverse to be selected without having to push down.

This is the advantage of reversing sensors, the minute reverse gear is selected you get an audible warning / system check.

Ive had this in a couple of the cars at work, both 2.0 140cr tdi's on 13 plates. Can be a bit awkward especially when doing a quick three pointer. People mention wear but these had the problem surface at 2/3000 miles. One still has the issue.