Rapid or Octavia MkII?

Hello everyone,

I'm new on here, and planning on upgrading from a Honda Jazz to a used Rapid 1.2 tsi or Octavia Mk2 1.4 tsi, due to a growing family. I think either will be big enough - I've read all about the Rapid's vast boot - so am just wondering what other factors come into play.

I'd instinctively rather go for the smaller car (running costs, ease of parking, etc). But:

- I know there are very few used ones out there yet, so would need to wait awhile

- are the Rapid's interior, power and handling going to be less attractive than the Octavia's?

Has anyone owned or even just driven both cars, and do you have any thoughts? I just want a car with tidy handling, a pleasant drive, decent refinement and a nice interior... will I be happy with a Rapid or would you advise going for a slightly older Octavia?

Thanks!

Steve

Hello and welcome to the Rapid section!

There are quite a few pre-registered and ex-demo Rapids available so there are some good deals out there. Particularly on the early demo cars which were well specced up.

I don't think you'll notice much difference in performance between the two choices you mention as the Octavia is 135kg heavier than the Rapid. Rapid also offers 8mpg better economy and Is two tax bands lower.

You won't get soft touch plastics in the Rapid but the interior is not worse in every way than the Octavia2.

Octavia will have multilink rear suspension so should handle and ride better than the Rapid.

Personally I would take the Rapid as the size suits me better, I find it a sharper more modern design and running costs are lower.

But the best thing you can do is go and look at and drive both.

Not driven a Rapid yet but been a passenger. Have however owned an Octy II and to be honest after the Mk 1 I found it heavy and cumbersome, so chopped it fairly quickly for a Golf V, which felt more agile.

Therefore my vote would be the Rapid as it's more akin to the old Octy I, although I'd be tempted to see if the spaceback would also be an option.

TP

- are the Rapid's interior, power and handling going to be less attractive than the Octavia's?

Has anyone owned or even just driven both cars, and do you have any thoughts? I just want a car with tidy handling, a pleasant drive, decent refinement and a nice interior... will I be happy with a Rapid or would you advise going for a slightly older Octavia?

The power I don't think you'd find a great deal of difference between the two, the 1.2 may be lower power output but it is quite a bit lighter, and as a consequence should be more frugal on fuel. 

As for the handling, the only way you're going to know for sure is to take one of each out for a decent test drive and see which you personally prefer, I'd describe the Rapid's ride as "firm", which I quite like personally but if you're after something a little softer then the Mk2 Octavia may be more your thing.

As said also see if you can hold out for a Spaceback to hit the showroom for a test drive, they apparently have a revised damper setup to soak up pot holes better than the standard Rapid and still has a reasonably large boot (although nowhere close to the standard model).

You need to see and drive both. You have posted in the Rapid section and I think the answers so far have been a little biased.  The Octy 2 is a much nicer car inside and some people have complained about how uncomfortable the ride quality of the Rapid is (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/285578-tyre-advice-please/).  Personally as you are looking to go used I would opt for the Octavia any day of the week.

Edited by CitigoAllen

ah the plot changes then as you were asking about an 09 plate Octy II.

As above try both and see which you prefer. The Rapid is aimed at people who don't want an Octy and is seen by the dealers as a gap filler between the Octy and Fabia in all respects.

initial sales of the rapid were poor as the mkII octy was being offered with 20% cashback, so the rapid wasn't popular. now the price differential has been resored with the mkIII. The rapid is obviously a newer design so that's worth considering. See what you can get for your budget and don't forget depreciation of both as that's the biggest cost

Old style Octavia 2 or new design Rapid?

The only Octavia 2 that looks any good is the vRS, maybe the Scout.

I'd have an Octavia 2 vRS over my Rapid, however if there was a Rapid vRS I'd have the latter.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

We were needing a traditional estate and as such went with mk2 octavia - having had a look at a spaceback which was altogether too small - 

Hatchbacks may be a different kettle of fish - and only you know what matters to you and what you need. 

-we all differ in our outlooks - unlike Ad Lav I wouldnt have any other than the mk2 octavia as it works well for us and personally like the looks I am not that fond of the newer models - the rapid is the best looking of the new models cos its the one that looks most like the old octavia :)  - but its all subjective, get the one that suits you best.  

We were needing a traditional estate and as such went with mk2 octavia - having had a look at a spaceback which was altogether too small - 

Hatchbacks may be a different kettle of fish - and only you know what matters to you and what you need. 

-we all differ in our outlooks - unlike Ad Lav I wouldnt have any other than the mk2 octavia as it works well for us and personally like the looks I am not that fond of the newer models - the rapid is the best looking of the new models cos its the one that looks most like the old octavia :)  - but its all subjective, get the one that suits you best.  

18 September 2013 - 12:01

• Like 1

The mpg figure for the little turbo shoud be taken with a pinch of salt.  The petrol Rapids are thirsty, but the lower powered 86 seems to beat the 105 hands down if the evidence on here is to be believed.

The Rapid has been on the Market since 2012 so there should be lots out there - but they're not all the same - the 2012 have really low specs, 2012/13 are notoriously harsh riding and have other build problems - the leaky doors and incredible booming noise from the hatch among others. Nasty noisy OEM Dunlop SPortMaxx  make the car seem a lot worse too.

Late 13 onwards have much improved ride and steering (courtesy of the Spaceback and its improved suspension) and better equipment specs.

Bottom line - go for a 2014 or newer and its a good car for the money (but it should be cheap - the original RRP were laughably high and discounts of £4k were available on Rapid and Toledo from new) - and look at Toledo's too - generally they come with way more toys for the same money.

Edited by camelspyyder