Genuine VW LED Number plate Lights

Hi,

A few have asked me now so I thought I'd pop this on to help others out.

I'd firstly like to point out that I don't have my car yet and have bought these purely risking it from the research I have done.

I have found some genuine VW LED number plate lights which fit various VW models such as Passat, Jetta and Toureg. They will need VCDS altering I believe but it's not a biggy.

I asked a member to take a photo of his mk3 VRS standard number plate light which was this:

uzaqupyb.jpg

The US thread I found was for a 2012 Passat which standard number plate lights were these:

za7a3apu.jpg

Which to me look the same as the Mk3 octavia.

So, here are the VW modules:

6emegy6y.jpg4e5uze3e.jpg

Part Number: 3AF943021A

Website for cheapest I think: http://www.carsystems.pl/license-plate-led-3af943021a-x2,id366.html

My local VW dealer wanted £36 for 1.

I have paid £39 Delivered

I have purchased from CarSystem.PL through there Ebay shop so that the address is correct as the website got my UK address a bit back to front.

They are by no means cheap but personally I'd prefer to have genuine product that is more likely to last and has warranty also.

My car should be here next week (mk3 Octavia Estate) so will update if they work or not.

Thanks

Rob

• Like 4

cheers for the detail Rob. I may wait until youve tried yours before ordering so you can be our guinee pig ;)

Haha yes, you may find them on eBay next week :/, hopefully not though, seems silly to sell a car with xenon headlights, led rear lights but normal bulbs for the number plate lights

I could buy cheap LEDs like above but did that in my current mk2 octavia and they packed in after 2 months so rather spend that little bit more and have quality.

Im not 100% sure but don't believe they have resistors in, so with them being LED's they wont draw enough current to prevent the light coming on the dash.

Tried these today, they work however out the light on the maxidot as expected. They don't fit in due to a piece of plastic on the inside of the unit, this can be cut off and will be so I'm happy :)

Can you please clarify whether these work or not as it appears the spell checker has gone mad on your previous two posts as they contradict each other. Thanks

Edited by banksie

Haha sorry, yes these fit and work required a small 2mm x 5mm bit of plastic cutting off then fitted perfectly. They require VCDS or the route iv gone which is resistors so that the system will still work.

mupy8e2a.jpg

• Like 1

So just to clarify-

They do work in as much as they light up?

They don't work as they bring on the error/bulb out light?

So you have fitted resistors which you would have done if you'd just changed the bulbs for LEDs?

Confused!

So just to clarify-

They do work in as much as they light up?

They don't work as they bring on the error/bulb out light?

So you have fitted resistors which you would have done if you'd just changed the bulbs for LEDs?

Confused!

They work as in they light, the error code is simply because LED's do not draw enough current for the system.

Yes if you i could of simply changed the bulbs to cheap eBay ones but would rather have genuine vag parts and i didn't think price was too bad so why not. I had 3 set in my mk2 in total and they all failed between 6-8 weeks so to save hassle i went this route.

If your spending £25k plus on a car why scrimp on the finishing touches :)

• 2 weeks later...