No deal to be had so had to walk away

evoke

Firstly, a big thanks to everyone for all the help over the last few days. Sadly, there was no deal to be had at my local Skoda dealer on a Citigo today. I was offered £1K on my part-exchange car - a car that I bought for £4K earlier this year and then spent nearly £4.5K on repairs/replacements (e.g. new clutch, flywheel, discs, brakes pads, service, aircon regas, wheel alignment, new tyres, etc). My current car has a full main dealer service history too.

I had paid for two valuations for my current car online (Glass's and Parkers). Both valued my current car at around £3.5K for part-exchange. The dealer said the most I could get was £1K. I really couldn't take a hit of over £8K as a loss on my current car. I fully understand that a car is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

There was also no money off on the Citigo Elegance with many options. Not a penny.

So, I had to walk away and will run my current car into the ground whilst saving up and will try again in a years time with hard cash to bargain with.

What is your current car?

New shape 2008 Citroen C5 2.2HDi Exclusive - so top of the range but a very high miler. WeBuyAnyCar said £2.2K. I haven't completely given up yet, so I might try a different dealer.

What's annoying is that I paid for two different valuations and the dealer was so far below them.

I had a slightly similar experience when I bought my vRS last year - local dealer offered me a silly price for my part ex an w iodine budge from list price on a new car. I shopped around a couple of dealers by phone and email and eventually got a very very good deal at the skoda dealer in Aldershot.

Well worth trying others first before you give up, there are bound to be deals out there to be had

give preston motors a call / visit, they sponsor this site and have done some good deals looking at posts on here

Another vote for Preston Motors:

Preston Motors

86-88 Woodgrange Road

Forest Gate

London

E7 0EW

020 8534 0981

As per my post in the thread when you were looking for a Citigo and considering the options. :)

Give Lee at Preston Motors a try.  Why do you think I always use them?

I've just noticed you are in London.

Where abouts?

I'd suggest using Preston Motors in East London as:

1. They sponsor this forum.

2. They are always keen to do a deal.

I've bought over 10 cars there in the last 3 years and have always been happy with the deal.

In fact I picked a Fabia Scout up yesterday and a Yeti a few weeks ago...

Speak to Lee and mention that you are on Briskoda. :)

If you need any help, PM me. (Private Message)

Not sure where in London you are but Motorline Skoda Dartford were very good (ask for Loretta!) No discount on the Sport but it was a cancelled order so got a few bits extra that I didn't pay for (variable boot floor & spare wheel!) Got a good price on part exchange as well !

I have used Dartford motorline for servicing when I worked up that way and have to say good service done on time and no hassle

not used preston motors but a number of guys on here have and I have not seen any bad posts about them for buying or service

My local dealer is 10 mins away, but I went to a dealer 2 hrs away to get a deal. Just be honest with them that you are shopping round for the best deal. They will thus realise you are serious buyer. My tactic resulted in a cost to change being £450 better than all other dealers i spoke to. Just say you are looking at paying full list price for car but want top price for trade in. most will give you an approx valuation over the phone subject to seeing the car. TBH sounds like they will put your motor into auction. As per my other post i got an agreement with my dealer that as delivery date approaches I have option to sell trade in privately if I can get more.

Was it Marlborough? Have you tried Allams?

No, but i'm popping down to Marlborough shortly. To be honest i'm not holding out much hope. The salesman said there's not much money in the Citigo for the dealer and i'd be looking at February delivery. I came off the phone with the impression that the dealerships aren't keen on selling the Citigo.

As per my post in the thread when you were looking for a Citigo and considering the options. :)

Give Lee at Preston Motors a try.  Why do you think I always use them?

Just tried Preston but no answer. Will try again and then try tomorrow (Monday). Thanks for the advice.

Hope you get a deal somewhere buddy.

But unfortunately, your mega-mileage C5 will be a problem to shift. A decent dealer won't want it on their forecourt so it will just get underwritten. If they can't get it underwritten, the dealership will send to auction so they won't risk their cash giving you an inflated figure. Realistically, what price retail does your C5 go for with average mileage?

Hi all, i'm West of London so those dealerships are a long way away from me. I'll give them a call tomorrow anyway to see what they can do.

I went to Devon to get my LEAF, because it was cheaper... :D

270 miles!

I went to Devon to get my LEAF, because it was cheaper... :D

270 miles!

That's odd, BF....I live in Devon and went to West London...and you CAME to Devon!  My local dealers weren't at all keen to do anything like the sort of deals available in London.  Where in Devon did you go?  I went to Marlborough in Isleworth and got on superbly with the fella there (and got a cracking deal)....but he's now moved to Colbornes of Guildford and I haven't bought anything from him there (yet?)

Do tell.....