Rusting / bubbling on the bottom of the skirts / doors / wheel arches

smithmr8

I was cleaning my car yesterday, felt what I thought was paint bubbling. Had a look this morning in the daytime and noticed the the bottom of the doors, the bottom of the skirts and the rusting I already knew about in the arches. Needless to say I'm not impressed. 

Here's one picture of it.. 

B530DON.jpg

What is the best course of action? I don't want to leave it as that's only going to get worse. It's a real shame, as I do love the way the car drives. But the paintwork has been horrific. You can tell where they saved on the cash. 

Would the best course of action be to get the bottom of the doors / skirts treated for rust and resprayed? 

True, but I'll always know. Not sure I could do that and live with myself. There must be some form of paint protection available, so that it doesn't happen again once I've sorted it out. I've never had this on any other car, massive pain in the ass. 

Mine has gone exactly the same way and funnily enough is also silver, I was going to get it done at the bodyshop but the prices I have been getting quoted are not funny and it seems like a lot for a '54 plate. 

The hammerite or smoothrite option I hadn't even considered but, it looks like it might be the way to go. All I need to do is find a decent rust cure/preventative to apply after rubbing it down, before I paint it.

Any suggestions anyone? 

• Like 1

I feel your pain. I don't want it to be a different colour. I've asked for a quote from a local body shop. Will see what the damage is.

I might just do it myself too tbh. Get a couple tins of the silver / lacquer. Rust proof primer. There must be something that'll help protect the paint once it's on. Rust proof clear coat or something?

I do already have some, I'm guessing the previous owner didn't clean the bottom properly and some salt corroded it. 

Just had a quote from a local bodywork garage. To have the skirts stripped and painted with a black stonechip, the bottom of the door stripped / painted, a stone chip on the pillar sorted and the arch work. And the sills waxoyled. £300. 

If I want the same, but the skirts painted in silver, £450. 

I think that's quite a good price. Not sure how I feel about black skirts (the bottom would be black, top half still silver). I think it might look alright. 

That's a shame. :(  Does it look like it's coming through from the bodywork, or the result of chips? (mine has a fair few small stone chips in that area I've had to touch in - thankfully they only went as deep as the primer)

Bilt-Hamber make some rust removers, which are supposed to be quite good, and leave a protective coat behind.  I've used Clarke brand rust eater on various bolts, nuts, etc, which has worked well (available from Machine Mart, essentially dilute phosphoric acid).

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't, no. Had it a few months. Clearly got a little too caught up in the moment to check the bottom properly.  :doh: 

Planning on keeping the car for a few years, so getting the work done. Booked in for later this week. I'll have to make sure I clean the bottom better than the previous owner did. Would a layer of wax do much to prevent this in the future, as an added level of protection? 

That really is not good.................... do it your self and save £££££££

You`ll need to check your motor hasn't repaired before, accident repair etc. Rub down offending areas, using wire wheel to remove loose stuff. Move onto course sanding wheel. Once all rust removed use hydrate 80 bilt hamber  ( www.bilthamber.com ) Zinc prime said area, leave to set for 24 hours, then use a filling primer, again let it set for 24 hours............ sand down using finer grades of sanding paper, then top coat. Once all painted, use a good cavity wax, drilling into the inner sill, from inside the car in various areas, spraying then sealing the hole, this will stop the car from rusting inside out, as cars do. Use the same method on the arches, as they are single skin, you`ll be able to wax oil without drill holes in lol

Guest BigJase88

Do it yourself!

Get this stuff called hammerite kurust

It reacts with the rust and changes its chemical formula so it's no longer rust

Then just put some silver hammerite over the top

You'll never notice it :)

I can certainly think of better ways to spend £500 on a car than some very basic repair work in an area of the car most people won't normally even see. Certainly won't add value to the car

However...I'd spend that on a new satnav / new wheels/ remap / new turbo all day long ! lol

why not take it back to a skoda dealer first and see what they say?? mine an 04 plate (black magic vrs) and was doing the same thing .... i took it to a dealer and under warranty they resprayed :
both front wings
both sills
both rear quarters 
3 doors ( not the drivers, they said it was painted previously)
tailgate 

its always worth asking as it could be your cheapest option 

I had a look before, I thought the warranty on paint was 3 years. Although, I just had a look and apparently it can be covered under the 10 year corrosion warranty. I'll give my local a ring and see what they say. I can always cancel / delay the paintwork if need be to check.

My boot and quarter panel is rusting. Took it to the skoda dealer in aberdeen and now its booked in for 25th nov for them to be painted free and also a free cortousey car. Always worth a try mate no point paying if you can get it done free ;)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yeah, definitely. I discovered I had mudflaps. This much rust on a 6 year old car isn't great. Its got a predominantly Skoda service history too. I'll cancel the bodyshop and give my local main dealer a ring and see what happens. Take it over and see what they say.

im not the original owner either .... just took it to the dealer and left it there for 3 months lol the sills had to have someone from skoda come out to check over the car to make sure stone chips hadnt caused the issue .... but it was defo worth the wait ..... the newly painted sills were heavily undersealed too so shouldnt be too much of a corrosion issue