polybush top mounts

The way I thought it went but if I'm wrong ( wouldn't be first time!! ) feel free to correct me is say on standard octy with standard top plate the plate butts up to the mount so that's how you get the gap at the top. Hence why the gap gets bigger when the top mount shows signs of age. With the red poly bush mounts what it looked like to me the polo top plate wasn't deep enough to touch the mount so when I was tightening the plate down it was getting pushed right through the hole. It wasn't a good look!!

The way I thought it went but if I'm wrong ( wouldn't be first time!! ) feel free to correct me is say on standard octy with standard top plate the plate butts up to the mount so that's how you get the gap at the top. Hence why the gap gets bigger when the top mount shows signs of age. With the red poly bush mounts what it looked like to me the polo top plate wasn't deep enough to touch the mount so when I was tightening the plate down it was getting pushed right through the hole. It wasn't a good look!!

you are more than likely right buddy and the expectation is to get the cup sitting tight on the bush.

I just think that it is the flat part of the cup that sit's tight on the turret that is important as , as long as the bush is pulled up to top of inner wing underside turret and clamped down then it ain't going to move anywhere. So maybe trying to get your polo bracket/cup to sit tight against the dip in the bush is causing it to pull through? the nut only needs 44lbs torque so did you maybe over tighten?

top plate just stops the strut falling out when airborn, no need to have it tight down to the metal, just close. i just put a few washers in mine or use a bigger nut to space it, the top plates dont take any stress when on the ground, the bush should be tight all around in the turret

Edited by Lofty79

top plate just stops the strut falling out when airborn, no need to have it tight down to the metal, just close. i just put a few washers in mine or use a bigger nut to space it, the top plates dont take any stress when on the ground, the bush should be tight all around in the turret

That's what i thought dude... But when car goes down a pot hole or summin similar the strut will drop surely if top bracket not close to turret. ok not massively but enough to hear it.

That was certainly the case on mine when i left the nut slightly loose after fitting my old weitecs some years back 

weather this causes issue or not is probably questionable though

Yes it is possible I've overtightened and maybe why the bearing sounds goosed. However, even just putting the plate on without the nut it touched against the body. Really there should be a gap between plate and body, well there is on standard Octavia plate and mount. Lofty is there a gap with your polo plate and rubber mounts?

On mine yes. on another i fitted for some reason a wee washer was needed. deoends on qulity of the bush i think.

Never had a noise off mine bowders, with a 5mm gap

I've been running the poly bush since it was launched.

IMG_1098_zps17b8fd9e.jpg

IMG_2259_zps3b01de2b.jpg

as you can see my mk4 caps are high up.

I was informed that the polybush was a re-engineered hybrid of both mk4 and polo bush. Hence it being deeper, and hence why re-sellers advise having polo caps fitted.

I've bought new polo caps but not fitted them yet, as tbh theres no great need.

I'll do it once I get p!ssed off with the noise the bush makes. It will be the third time I would have greased them up.

I'm not 100% happy with them as they have deformed slightly in the centre. I'll have to take a pic so you can understand what I mean

Edited by john_20v

Mine started creaking after two days. I thought it was the bearing but it looks like its the top mounts. After all the hassle I've had with these my conclusion is don't bother with them. For the 10mm drop you get they're not worth the hassle. Coming off tomorrow might just put standard octy mounts back in.

This is a interesting thread on the subject (page 3)

http://www.r32oc.com/topic/36877-golf-mk4-r32/page__st__60

So does seem a little hit and miss guys

Appears you can still use the Std top mount bracket with the poly bush but it just sit high. Better that than pulling through the turret though.

But for pure cosmetic reason seems the alternative is to cut down the STD top mount bracket and fit along with the Polo Top mount bracket to prevent any chance of pulling through turret. I am going to have a go at this over weekend if weather holds out. :thumbup:  

update. I took the polybush top mounts out today replaced with standard Octavia ones. I used the same top bearings that I used with the poly mounts NO CREAKING. So it WAS the mounts making all the noise. It will be interesting to see how you get on with these bowsers. IMHO there not up to the job at all. They are noisy, won't fit with standard octy plates, and certainly on my car don't go with polo plates either!! Keep us up to date bowders. Oh I did get a 10mm drop.

• Like 1

update. I took the polybush top mounts out today replaced with standard Octavia ones. I used the same top bearings that I used with the poly mounts NO CREAKING. So it WAS the mounts making all the noise. It will be interesting to see how you get on with these bowsers. IMHO there not up to the job at all. They are noisy, won't fit with standard octy plates, and certainly on my car don't go with polo plates either!! Keep us up to date bowders. Oh I did get a 10mm drop.

Will do..

I ordered Polo plates as not stocked so will just fit back std plates for now.

Question for you. Did your inner strut nut  hold the poly bush to the strut and bearing or did the nut go through the poly bush completely?

Not sure if this helps or not, but I fitted my powerflex top mount bushes this morning. They fit the coilover perfectly, but as others have reported, they seem a little deeper than the stock ones. I had to fit a washer before fitting the top plate bits on. ~3mm. I'll give it a week or two and see if the bushes settle down a little so I can remove the washers again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent with Tapatalk

• Like 2

Will do..

I ordered Polo plates as not stocked so will just fit back std plates for now.

Question for you. Did your inner strut nut  hold the poly bush to the strut and bearing or did the nut go through the poly bush completely?

the nut goes through the bush. Did on mine anyway

Aye the nut just went through mine too so the mount just sits on the bearing. On the original octy one there's a tiny lip so it goes on before the nut then the nut holds it on. I think this could be the problem with the poly ones with regards to the plates actually.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk now Free

Aye the nut just went through mine too so the mount just sits on the bearing. On the original octy one there's a tiny lip so it goes on before the nut then the nut holds it on. I think this could be the problem with the poly ones with regards to the plates actually.

Ok that makes sense as this is exactly what the polybush do on mine. I don't think it matters as the top mount will be held in place by the turret and top plate.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Well I fitted my poly bushes today. Will post pics later.

I managed to undo top nut and loosen inner nut whilst in place and then pull down strut down enough to remove top mount and bearing( a benefit of coilovers and running low).

Lots of grease used to lube up mount and turret.

Then fit poly bush and push strut back up through turret. Wheels back on and drop car then tighten up inner nut. Fitment of poly bush seamed good to turret as per oem mounts. Then i added std top mount bracket and tightened nut down. Not had chance to take on a run yet but first impression is mount feels a bit harder than oem and mine was a LCR mount too. (Which are stiffer then octy ones).

No creaking or squeaks yet on quick drive. Also probably need to adjust height of strut now and to compensate for the lower depth poly bush.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Yeah they fit in the turret fine no problems there. The issue with mine was the top plates and the fact they started creaking after a couple of days. I didn't grease them though didn't think I needed to the mounts don't turn or anything don't see how they could creak.

Yeah they fit in the turret fine no problems there. The issue with mine was the top plates and the fact they started creaking after a couple of days. I didn't grease them though didn't think I needed to the mounts don't turn or anything don't see how they could creak.

All poly bushes need greasing buddy.

Even the mounts as there is flex in the rubber as the car moves across different road conditions and also on cornering as the stress of the suspension takes up the loads.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Oh dear I didn't know that! What I can say about them is the ride was fine a little harsher than standard but not by a lot. Funny enough they weren't creaking during normal driving or over bumps just when turning the steering. There off now anyway glad to see the back of them!!

Oh dear I didn't know that! What I can say about them is the ride was fine a little harsher than standard but not by a lot. Funny enough they weren't creaking during normal driving or over bumps just when turning the steering. There off now anyway glad to see the back of them!!

Lol.

Well as long as you are happy then that's all that counts.

Yeah you would find won't creak in straight road as no real load going across the turrets. When the car turns you will be amazed how the suspension turrets move under load. I have upper strut brace so stops some load and turret movement.

Sent from my Samsung S3