Free Map Updates for Columbus and Amundsen.

From Skoda's website:

Free Sat Nav updates - If you currently own an Octavia model that is more than 3 years old you are entitled to free Sat Nav updates. For more information about how to download these updates, please click here.

The manual for "Updating the Columbus" at the link above.

The menu's don't look anything like what I have on my unit (2011 factory fitted Columbus).

Your message says cars 3+ years old, however the menus in the manual look a lot more modern - so I'm assuming for the Columbus in the new Octy? But then they won't be 3+ years old.

What is an MIB Columbus, as opposed to a Columbus?

Oh yer - just noticed the "Men in Black" letters before the Columbus. Maybe it's the revision that detects alien life forms - or turns your car into something as fast as the one in the original MIB? :)

Assuming this isn't the unit I have in my car - unless there is anyway of "forcing" these maps onto mine - but in the past it's always been done via DVD and not SD-Card.

Surely the fact that these updates are available on the official Skoda website, means we should all be able to get the latest maps regardless of the age or model of our Columbus? they can't just give it to people with new Skodas can they?

And the map download appears to be approx 15GB, whereas older version Columbus/MFD3 maps are nowhere near that, so I can't see any way these will work on the old ones

I've just emailed my local dealer to ask about this.

I've also taken screen shots and will contact SUK about it if I get no joy from the dealer.

Fingers crossed, but I'm not hopeful (but then I don't see why owners of the originial Columbus should pay hundreds when MKIII owners can have it free).

I had a try at this but gave up as there was no way of determining what version I was downloading i.e. I may spend 6 hours downloading a version that is not any newer than the one I already have (which was out of date when I purchased the car new 13 months ago) :wall:

I suspect Skoda will square this by saying the cost of the new MIB Columbus includes 3 years free map updates.

I doubt they will be too open to offering free map upgrades for the MFD3 Columbus - as I understand it, updates for the older MFD2 units are even more expensive than the MFD3 units.

Adam

That webpage is for the SatNav systems in the Octavia 3 - which also come with 3 years free map updates according to Skoda UK.

I'm sure that there is a thread on here somewhere about the mapping version on the Amundsen+ units in the Blacklines - some came with V4 & some (mine included) came with V3. Mine is going in for it's first service in a couple of weeks so I'll have a word with the service manager when it goes in to see why this is and if 'm entitled to a free upgrade to the version it should have been supplied with.

Edit: I've found the original thread - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/268803-amundsen-sat-nav-sd-destinations/

This shows the two different mapping versions that were delivered on the Blacklines - especially annoying as mine was one of the last (of the original 500) to be delivered.

Wouldn't that be MIS?

You would think so, but it refers specifically to the nVidia based systems and it has always been MIB. I think this is because the very early systems were refered to by the generic description 'Monitor In Box'.

Here's the response from my local dealer who has checked with SUK:

This is the latest email I have had back from head office today in reference to the Columbus Upgrade – unfortunately the upgrade is only for cars less than 3 years old and the wording was incorrect on the website.

This backs up what others have discovered and what we all thought.

Does seem a little divisive / unfair for owners of older Columbus units though.