Installing LED lights - Puddle, front and rear foot well and rear roof.

So, following on from this topic:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/290310-led-lighting-in-the-boot/

Here are my plans to install LED Lighting strips in the following places:

Front foot well's 

Rear Foot wells's

Puddle lights, front only

Rear roof lights.

These will all be wired in to the main light unit upfront, Passenger side to the passenger reading light and drivers side to drivers reading light, this will mean that when the doors are opened all lights will come on and go off but if you turn the driver or passeneger reading light on then that sides LED lights will come on also. 

The light strips i have chosen are the same ones as i used the boot lighting thread, however if i find there just to bright then i can cut the strips down, which i think i'm going to need to do. 

So heres my plans for the wiring of the lights, there not to scale but show a rough idea on how im going to run the lights wiring and connect them all. 

This is an overview of the whole side wiring loom:

Next this is a close up of the numbered splices from the above diagram:

1) 

2)

Please read on.....

post-104528-0-50071400-1380976986_thumb.jpg

post-104528-0-14223500-1380976995_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Right the first post was a complete balls up thanks to my laptop and internet, nothing wrong with the user.....

anyway this is what i wanted to put:

So, following on from this topic:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/290310-led-lighting-in-the-boot/

Here are my plans to install LED Lighting strips in the following places:

Front foot well's 

Rear Foot wells's

Puddle lights, front only

Rear roof lights.

These will all be wired in to the main light unit upfront, Passenger side to the passenger reading light and drivers side to drivers reading light, this will mean that when the doors are opened all lights will come on and go off but if you turn the driver or passeneger reading light on then that sides LED lights will come on also. 

The light strips i have chosen are the same ones as i used the boot lighting thread, however if i find there just to bright then i can cut the strips down, which i think i'm going to need to do. 

So heres my plans for the wiring of the lights, there not to scale but show a rough idea on how im going to run the lights wiring and connect them all. 

This is an overview of the whole side wiring loom:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10098900575/

Next this is a close up of the numbered splices from the above diagram:

Splice No. 1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10098936066/

Splice No. 2: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10098961023/in/photostream/

Splice No. 3: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10098964563/in/photostream/

Over view of all splices: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10098967683/in/photostream/

Ill get some photos in a bit of where i plan to mount the lighting in the car and upload them.

Any views/points please let me know! 

Fingers crossed those links work for you! i have put the main photo on this thread in case the others fail. 

post-104528-0-22669700-1380977204_thumb.jpg

Thanks

I will be following. ....

Looks the same as what I had been thinking

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

Now to wait for the LED strips to arrive! im working Monday-Thursday so ill have the weekend to complete the task.

• Like 1

I had a brain wave last nigth whilst laying in bed, dont ask why i was thinking of lights....lol

If you wire the puddle lights and the red warning lights in to the centre bulb of the main light in the roof, it will mean that:

1) when you unlock the car the puddle lights, warning lights and all the others will come on

2) by wiring them in to the centre light instead of the left or right it means that when you turn the individual map reading light on it WONT turn the puddle lights or red lights on!

Also, you can position a small thin strip of Red leds on the inside edge of the door (ill upload a picture later whwre i mean)

Im going to use some of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160911225473?var=460129636308&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1932wt_906

to hold the led strips and cabling in place that i cant tuck in the seals or in to the panel. the 16mm are the perfect size!

Don't the left and right come on with the centre when you unlock? Mine do.

I've ordered all the lights now (including some H11 fogs) so that's 10X 30cm white and 2X 30cm red.

I am putting the red on the outside edge of the door pocket. Not sure how I'm going to hold the wires in place as yet. Will be some electrical tape until I decide that they are staying.

I may well order some of those clips though.

Don't the left and right come on with the centre when you unlock? Mine do.

I've ordered all the lights now (including some H11 fogs) so that's 10X 30cm white and 2X 30cm red.

I am putting the red on the outside edge of the door pocket. Not sure how I'm going to hold the wires in place as yet. Will be some electrical tape until I decide that they are staying.

I may well order some of those clips though.

Yes the left and right also come on when unlocking/opening the door BUT by wiring the puddle and red ligths in to the centre light it measn that, once the ligths have gone out, you can turn the individual reading lights on and only the foot well (front and rear) and roof light (front and rear) willl come on but the puddle lights/red lights remain off as they draw there power from the centre light which isn'nt on with the reading lights if ya get me?

The clips are brilliant! super sticky, have used some already.

Which red lights did you buy?

I get you now, it wouldn't go into my head earlier.

I have bought http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271286233253 but I'm thinking of getting these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181013608259 instead as they have black backing.

Im not sure the clips would be small enough to go under the door pocket where I plan to run the wires. Where are you planning to put your puddle lights and warning lights?

Those second ones look perfect. I was thinking of attaching them to the on the door upright, the flat bit on outside of door opposite door catch. Hard to explain without pics haha ill have to venture out in a bit and get some photos!

I think we probably have the same idea.

Problem with the second choice is the time they would take to arrive. .... I'm not a patient man and Hong Kong is a fair way away!

I think we probably have the same idea.

Problem with the second choice is the time they would take to arrive. .... I'm not a patient man and Hong Kong is a fair way away!

I order quite a bit from Hong Kong simply for the price. it normally take 2 weeks but some stuff has taken 6 weeks before! 

You could always get the wire sorted and in place so its simply a case of wiring the strip on once it arrives?

• Like 1

Just found this thread :)

My Citigo Sport has no boot lights at all. Also no glovebox light. So this has given me ideas :)

Great write up btw in your original thread.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Just found this thread :)

My Citigo Sport has no boot lights at all. Also no glovebox light. So this has given me ideas :)

Great write up btw in your original thread.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Thanks, glad it has helped others out! maybe get it on the Citigo forum for others needing a light haha 

• Like 1

Right the first part of this project is complete, i have installed:

Front Footwell lights

Rear roof lights

Rear foot well lights

It was surprisingly easy! 

I started by confirming which wire from the lights was the '+' and '-' as LED's will only work one way unlike a normal bulb!

I first went out and measured where the cabling was going to be run, measuring to each point there was going to be a join then measuring from there, to save you guys some time heres the lengths of cable you will need, it won't differ between hatch and estate as its only the back end thats longer. lengths are in inches BTW:

Front roof light to front outside pillar (edge of window) - 27''

Front outside pillar to front footwell  - 52''

Front outside pillar  to top of centre pillar (middle of car)  -  27''

Centre pillar to rear roof light - 22''

Centre pillar to rear footwell light - 43''

These lengths give you enough slack to mess up a few times and also replace LED strips in future etc. 

Remember you need enough to do both sides of the car ( x4 of each length) 

I did the wire in 2 different colours, a white and a white green stripe, this made life so much easier when it came to getting the lights wired the right way round. 

I cut the wires in sets, for each section from thee lengths above, i then coiled the left and rights and labelled then for exactly where they were for like so: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10212890026/in/photostream/

i then started building the wiring looms, starting with one wire from the coil labelled 'light to front pillar left', crimping a splice to one end and a small pin splce to the other (this is what i used to wire it in tot he light).

Then in to that splice you need to attach the 'front pillar to front foot well' and  'front pillar to centre pillar' these both have to go in to the one splice.

From there you need a splice on the end of the wire ' front pillar to centre pillar' this is then attached to the 'rear roof' and the 'rear footwell' both in the same splice.

If you want to heat shrink the splices now the time, you can just wrap them in electrical tape, do each splice separately then together!

You repeat this with the other cable.

Then, starting from the 'front light' wires (have them both in your hand and the ends lined up) work your way along and every 5-6 inches tape them cables together, d this for the whole wiring loom.

It should look something like ths: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10212872825/in/photostream/

(i have added notes to the above picture labeling whats what!)

You need to build 2 of these, one for each side of the car. 

Next, get the splices attached to the ends of the LED light strips, don't do them on the end of the wiring looms just incase there way to long it allows you to trim!. 

Its out to the car now! remember to take the following tools:

Pliers (or crimping tool)

wire cutters/scissors

electrical tape.

a butter knife (one thats not sharp or no real point on it!)

Now start locating your wiring loom, start by pushing the first splice from the light to pillar in to the top of the pillar plastic trim. it will pop between the headliner and the top of the trim and disappear behind it nicely.

now run your wire down the door trim seal thats next to the pillar trim, run it all the way down and behind the dash gap, have the door open and just pull the able tight and down so it pops in this gap:

so long as it comes out the bottom with around 6-8 inches you'll be fine! 

now take it back out and attach the LEDs to the end, repeat the above process to locate the wire then locate your LED strip where you want. i have mine located here in the drivers footwell:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10212982333/

and here in the passenger footwell:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10212982393/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10212889386/in/photostream/

Next run the wire from the front pillar to the centre pillar, tucking it in the rubber seal between the roof liner, all the way along to the far side of the centre pillar (closest to the rear seats) the splice will, again, just pop over the top of he centre trim and the roof liner. 

now run the rear roof wire in the rubber seal between the roof liner, attach the LED lights strip and tuck the extra away, i double backed on myself because of the extra wire! heres it located:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10212889606/in/photostream/

Now run the rear footwell lights in the rubber seal that sits between the plastic centre trim and the door all the way to the bottom, again attach your LED strip and locate. heres it located:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10212785654/in/photostream/

(Note: i am going to push the cable under the join in the trim tomorrow, i didn't have the tool tonight)

heres a picture of my rear roof and rear footwell located and lit up!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10212872715/in/photostream/

Remember to wrap the newly spliced joins from the LEDs to the wire loom, each splice separately then tape them together. give a nice few cm over lap either side of the splice to take the weight of the join.

Nows the Hardest bit, connecting the wires to the centre light.

I wired the leds fro each side of the car in to the corresponding reading light, this means that when the cars unlocked all the LEDs and centre light come on and go off once ignition on. then if i want the reading light, on either side of the car by pushing the corresponding button the LED's on that side, front and rear top and bottom, come on and off! 

I plan to wire the puddle lights to the centre light, this will mean there only on when the centre light comes on which is, when the doors are opened, the cars unlocked or the 'all lights' function is switched on the light unit. but not when the individual reading lights are on. 

So, first off, you need to remove the lens over the lights, simply push your fingers between the light and the head liner closest to the front window, it really simply pops down. 

then there are 2 screws to remove to be able to drop the light unit from the roof, these are located either side of the centre light bulb.

the light unit then pops out, grab the little strips either side of the centre bulb and pull it down. 

this is what it looks like on the other side!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79164476@N08/10212983033/in/photostream/

i used some very small electrical pins, they have a hole on one side and a solid rod on the other, this is what i used to push in to the top of the light unit, 

You need to feed the wires in from the windscreen and in to the roof liner to bring them out the while where the light unit sits, this is quite hard as theres quite a big lip on the roof liner and also there seems to be a plastic liner between the fabric liner and the metal roof where my cables when missing to first time round. 

You need to tape the end of the wire together loosely, then pull the roof liner down VERY gently from the window, you only need to do it at one point, the easiest point is the centre either side of the roof liner. once you have the ends in you can simply feed the wire in through this point and the wire will makes its way to the light hole. the hole is quite big, i can get my hand in there pretty much. 

One thing to note when hunting around for the wires is, the FM2 aerial wire thats dead in the centre on the hole, it has a very flimsy, strange wire that feels very brittle and can be easily caught! 

theres a gap either side on the bulb holders when you look from the rear, the pins fitted perfectly in these! hed nice and snug by the metal clip pushing back on it. 

If the LEDs don't work one way, try them the other! it baffled me for a good 5 mins why it wouldn't work!

once your all up and running, its a case of tucking the wires back in the roof and clipping the light unit in place, then replace the screws, followed by the lens!

Have a tidy up in the car and your all sorted, have a seat and enjoy! 

These are the instructions on how i built mine and where you position them is down to you, however the wiring loom and routing of it means its all hidden from view, you can put the lights wherever you want!

I hope this has helped and makes sense, please feel free to ask questions and ill try to expand on that i have done. 

tomorrow i plan to do the puddle lights. watch this space!

• Like 2

Right, my LED strips have arrived and im off tomorrow and the weekend!

so watch this space, monday morning i hope to have it all written up on here with pictures!

Well Monday must fall differently up here in Scotland!

I plan slightly different positions for my lights, well for the rear anyway. I'm not doing roof lights either.......up to now!

Great 'how to' guide I'm especially grateful for the pics of the under side of the light as I wasn't sure what to expect.

Here's hoping I get the time on Sunday when I get home

Well Monday must fall differently up here in Scotland!

I plan slightly different positions for my lights, well for the rear anyway. I'm not doing roof lights either.......up to now!

Great 'how to' guide I'm especially grateful for the pics of the under side of the light as I wasn't sure what to expect.

Here's hoping I get the time on Sunday when I get home

I had some spare time yesterday haha. Im gunna tackle the puddle lights next.

I may move some of the lights yet. Becausevof the extra cable it gives you morr flexability.

They were £2.99 for the outer ones and I think £4.00 for the middle one. I bought them on buy it now so I dare say I could have got them much cheaper.

You are right though, they make a huge difference!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

They were £2.99 for the outer ones and I think £4.00 for the middle one. I bought them on buy it now so I dare say I could have got them much cheaper.You are right though, they make a huge difference!Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Exactly the same price as i paid for mine! I think there a bargain. Although i found the W5W resding lights a tight squeeze in the slots.

So i have just been out to start installing the puddle lights and i have come across a problem...

I removed the small panel on the end of the dash board, my plan was to feed the wire in to the elephant trunk connected to the door and pick it up on the other side. 

However, there is no way to get anywhere near the trunk from this little panel.

this is the only way to cross over to the door without the wires being insight and extra cable hanging to allow the door to open and close. Any ideas/different plan to wire the puddle lights? 

Im stumped for now....