Fuel Consumption 60 PS Sport VS GreenTech Elegance

saurabhdutt

I've noticed that driving style can impact mpg ALOT on my 75 GT. Drive it like a crazy person, racing anything that overtakes me and I get about 50mpg on a 80-100 mile motorway run. Drive it sensibly at a steady 70 and I have got 69mpg on the same trip. Never gotten more than that though. Doing 30mph in 5th around town and it says I'm getting anything from 70-90 mpg lol. 

Edited by Ollie 2013

Mafuta, as I said in post 19, try a different driving style for a bit

Earlier changes etc.

Let us know how you go on mate

Thanks, damo, I will try.

However I do feel that to get the engine to accelerate and perform decently and as it's intended to, revs need stretching to about 4000 before changing. This allows the engine to perform to its potential. But this doesn't get one the great mpg figures. If I change at, say 3000, the car is just slow and won't keep up. However I shall try it as an experiment.

I know where your coming from fella

Definitely an engine that needs to be worked to extract the most fun from

However, a compromise of efficient driving and the odd blast will definitely see better returns on MPG overall

Thanks, damo, I will try.

However I do feel that to get the engine to accelerate and perform decently and as it's intended to, revs need stretching to about 4000 before changing. This allows the engine to perform to its potential. But this doesn't get one the great mpg figures. If I change at, say 3000, the car is just slow and won't keep up. However I shall try it as an experiment.

But more torque and power = more fuel... Simples.

Like my mk1 Octy.. As long as I'm gentle, plan ahead and don't go in boost or over 3000rpm I can almost get 40mpg on a mway run.. Tho even a cough can drop that down loads.

One of the reasons I'm changing car is the mileage I'm doing.. On my 'common' journeys my Octy is doing 24ish for work. While a company pool car (208hdi) on same route is 62mpg - ok that's a diesel and only has 70bhp but at no point do I feel it's underpowered.. So basically I rekon a citigo will suit my driving... And for any other time I'm not in the city it'll be far more fun than driving the brick of an Octavia

Recently someone put up a comparison with a 1960's Mini Cooper S - and despite the fact cars and traffic have changed, it isn't a bad choice to compare with.  It's a long time since I've had so much driving fun in a car since my Mini days (in a 4 seater small car, at least).

Cane the backside off it, and still get over 30mpg..

I know where your coming from fella

Definitely an engine that needs to be worked to extract the most fun from

However, a compromise of efficient driving and the odd blast will definitely see better returns on MPG overall

very self-controlled 14 miles last night - never over 3000rpm - 53mpg - she must not like me!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Try the same style on your usual journey for a truer comparison

Im sure she loves you really

Probably just annoyed you cane the hell out of her all the time :D

will do ...

But oh how she likes a spanking!

• Like 1

If you're after better mpg.... short shift..... always indicates you should shift around 1750-2000 rpm..... makes the car gutless....

The indicator should allow to use higher rpm if you push the pedal half of its travel or more. It's trying to teach you how to drive economically. If you need to accelerate, do it properly. High rpm does not give you anything if you do not push the pedal at the same time.

More throttle -> more mixture to the cylinder -> better efficiency.

very self-controlled 14 miles last night - never over 3000rpm - 53mpg - she must not like me!

How often you had to brake? Everytime you push brake pedal you lose energy. Then you need to burn more fuel to gain speed again.