RNS-510 columbus restart or reboot repeatedly !

Hi guys,

Reading all above I have a similar problem, firstly new to here and can apply my self practically but fairly dumb when speaking I.T so apologies. I have bought a second hand columbus it came out of a 2010 octavia vrs . After taking out my bolero I fitted it my 2012 octavia vrs at the guys house whom I purchased it and it worked fine after inputting the four figure code, with all steering wheel controls etc working. 2 hrs later after parking the car up and then restarting it got the reboot issue talked about above. I have spoken to several people and would like some advice if I book it into skoda where I bought the car can they do a software update and will this fix the problem I have been told the later models after 2010 have something different with regards to wiring etc and it will require some type of update.

The guy I bought it from has been helpful and offered me a refund but is adamant it's fine and this update will work and appears very knowledgeable.

Thanks in advance of any help!

Robggh, it's unlikely that the dealer will know much about firmware updates and will probably charge through the roof for a map update.

However, if you can identify which Columbus you have (all the info in the large white sticker in the case) then we can advise further.

It does seem likely that a firmware update will solve the problem.

First thing I would try is rebooting the Columbus (press <, > & i at the same time). This can sometimes clear some issues.

What HU did your car have before the Columbus put in?

Did the guy you bought it off do any coding of your car with VCDS? (He would have had to plug a computer in under the steering wheel).

If not, there may still be some changes needed to get full functionality, but nothing that would effect your problem directly.

• Like 1

KBphoto,

Thanks for reply it's great that people are willing to help.

I have booked it in for Wednesday from where I bought it skoda Liverpool who have implied it will probably be an hours labour charge although I agree not sure they are clued up as it's not how they make money!

The large white sticker has the following code 3T0 035 680 and it states on the side it was manufactured in October 2008.

I have tried the reboot using the buttons on the front but it didn't work.

It has a bolero which has the Bluetooth, sd card etc just not the sat nav or hdd.

No vcds was done he plugged it in put the four figure code into the radio and it worked although I think he thought it would need coding and all the steering wheel controls worked, 2 hrs later and after turning the car off twice it stopped working.

Some have told me about a difference in wiring between Octavia's after 2010.

With that part number you'll need modified firmware to get up to anything that will support 7-digit postcodes and the latest maps / POI format.

adamal will advise on where to get this from.

Swapping a Bolero to a Columbus should be straight forward. I don't know of any wiring changes that would affect this.

What car are you putting it in to?

I'd get it hooked up to VCDS and coded properly. I'm not saying it will cure the issue, but it might.

You could try going straight to modified 4024 firmware, specifically modified for your unit. This will probably give you improved functionality but it will wipe your maps so you will need to source an updated map disk.

That will largely depend on your dealer and whether they are the type that update maps for 40 quid or 200 quid! Sometimes more up to date maps come up on eBay as a genuine disk, but beware copies. I once got a disc from a bankrupt stock merchant and it was genuine but when I updated to 4024 myself, I needed a newer version and went to a VW dealer who did it cheaply as I was buying parts.

The firmware is here and if you PM me your email I can send you a file which should ensure the steering wheel controls work after the update.

http://www.rnsfirmware.com (use the first link).

Download the image file and create a disk from the image on good quality media, using slow speeds. This does carry some risk of bricking your unit, but that is a slim chance. You can read about this firmware and also the risks on the my-gti.com site (http://www.my-gti.com/3354/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-to-version-4020-4024-4026-4028).

Kb is correct about coding the unit too.

Adam

KBPhoto,

Thanks again.

I am putting it a 2012 octavia vrs.

Adamal,

Bit of a I.T Dino so apologies if I sound a bit stupid is the firmware you talk about the software update I need. The dealer so far seem good I bought the car from them and have had it serviced there and will do at least until the warranty runs out they have so far said an hours labour so in my book that's around 50 quid! And will do a diagnostics plus update in this time.

All the controls worked when it was first plugged in do you think once updated the steering controls etc will not work?

What's PM mean?

By what you guys are saying I will let skoda try and let you guys know the outcome the guy who I bought it off said if it doesn't work he will give me my money back. You would think changing a stereo over would be simple it was back when I was 17.

I thought sticking with a genuine skoda item would be the easy option?

Thanks again

Adamal,

Followed the link and noticed that a couple had the same serial code as me but are suffixed with an A mine isn't it ends with 680 no A does that mean that mine is an earlier version.

The link to mygti just describes the firmware (which is the software update being referred to). As you allude, your part is relatively old, being made in 2008, so you need the modified firmware for older units from rnsfirmware.com, via the first link.

My unit is as old as yours and worked after the update but the steering controls needed an extra fix. It may be because I had older controls (2008 car) but if you do have problems I downloaded a fix which sorted it for me which I can send you.

However, if Skoda are offering to do it for an hours labour (which will be nearer 100 than 50 quid) then it is worth it to save the ballache and pass the very minor risk to them. Also they should reload newer maps, and needing to do that could cost you the 100 quid anyway.

PM is personal message, from the top right of the screen. This saves you posting an email address on a public site which potentially leads to Spam in you inbox.

Finally why this problem has occurred is anyone's guess. My suspicion is that older firmware does not properly support the functionality such as optical parking sensors and climate display offered by newer cars and tends to crash/corrupt.

Hope that helps

Adam

Adamal,

Cheers and yes probably more likely £100 I was being optimistic rather then realistic. Let's see how happy I return from skoda tomorrow. Will let you know thanks for your help

Thought I would let you all know Skoda dealership tried to update but didn't work they couldn't find any updates and couldn't  install a disk because it will not power up they spent over an hour on it  but only charged me half an hour which was £39 quid they could of charged me anything! however my car went in filthy and they cleaned it inside and out. I have started the ball rolling with regards returning the item through ebay. Whilst in Skoda asked for cost on new Columbus which is nearly 2k but they have a kenwood DNX521DAB which does all what the Columbus does fitted for £1050 although expensive may avoid all the hassle and has a 2year warranty!

Looked at the new VRS looks great!

Thanks again guys!

Not surprised the dealer couldn't update it - they frequently mess it up and won't touch modified firmware.

Mind you, £39 for a car wash seems pretty expensive to me...

If you can get your money back, which shouldnt be an issue as the dealer codnt power it up, look for a replacement that has at least 'A' on it, but these can date from 2010. This shouldn't bother you as you'll be unlimy to notice any difference between this and a 2012 unit.

At least they will have a LED screen and will go to 4020 firmware & v9 maps without issue or need to resort to modified firmware.

Mine has been since 402x firmware came out.

No. Your are just rebooting it (like turning your computer off and back on again).

Sounds like your GPS antenna isn't getting a good signal to me.

Press the 'Map' button once to get to the map and again to go to split screen view (if not already displayed). Press the header bar in the split screen and scroll down to the last entry. Press that.

You should now be able to see how many satellites are being seen and tracked.

If you have less than 4 tracked you won't get a proper 3D fix.

Sounds like your GPS antenna is not picking up the satellites.

Could be a loose connection, broken wire, poor location of antenna or damaged antenna.

Can't really say from here.

Try unplugging the blue FAKRA connector from behind the head unit and reconnecting it first. Then try moving the location of the antenna (assuming you have a pick style one). I put mine on the roof out the window for testing (it's magnetic).

I have a used but fully functional GPS antenna from my car when I put a roof mounted antenna in. You can have it if you want to buy me a couple of beers...

With difficulty!

Look at some of the guides on here about removing either the Columbus or the dash top box to access the back of the head unit.

At the antenna end you need to get under the headlining and remove a large but to get the antenna off the roof to see if its corroded inside.

Personally, I'd explore the first option and trying a different GPS antenna before exploring the second.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Posted last year:

I recently had the dreaded constant reboot problem with my Columbus, the one where the software fails to load properly and just goes into an endless cycle of re-booting. Most commentators on this site will say that points to a duff HDD and they might be right. However, I've got it working again, at least for now.

My Columbus is a 2009 H11 unit, originally with 1164 firmware and V3 (I think) maps. I first upgraded to V8 maps, but couldn't, of course, get 7-digit postcode functionality. Baffled and dismayed by the reams of conflicting advice about upgrading the firmware in steps, I decided simply to take the plunge and upgrade to 4024 with a disc I acquired from... somewhere.

It worked.

I now have fully functioning 4024 firmware with 7-digit postcodes, maps, POIs and music and have recently upgraded to V9 maps (which definitely DOES have more recent mapping than V8).

Now, when the above fault appeared, I first tried SWL_FIX, again widely available from all good stores via Google. The unit accepted this and completed its actions but this did NOT fix the problem. My next step was to re-install the 4024 firmware.

This DID fix the problem.

Lesson 1: by all means fear the worst, but don't re-mortgage your house to get a new Columbus until you have tried a few options.

Lesson 2: seek and ye shall find. 

Could you PLEASE tell me where to get one of these discs?? Thanks in anticipation

With difficulty!

Look at some of the guides on here about removing either the Columbus or the dash top box to access the back of the head unit.

At the antenna end you need to get under the headlining and remove a large but to get the antenna off the roof to see if its corroded inside.

Personally, I'd explore the first option and trying a different GPS antenna before exploring the second.

As a backup option, allways good to have one cheap but very quality GPS Fakra antenna like this one

(tested):

http://www.carsystems.pl/gps-antenna-90-angle-blue-fakra-connector,id19.html

Fitting easy under dash board

;)

Could you PLEASE tell me where to get one of these discs?? Thanks in anticipation

'My Gti' website or 'GPS Underground' website (the former is clearer and easier to understand).

Or I can send a link to what I have if you PM me.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, great thread this, full of really useful info. My Columbus unit is a 3T0 035 680 (just that,no A or B or C after it) with HW: H11 and SW: 1104 on a 2009 Suberb Elegance and it has developed the constant reboot issue. I'm hoping the dealer will sort it as I've only had the car 2 months, but am researching fixes in case they won't.

I've downloaded the 4020 firmware upgrade from one of the links posted here (www.rnsfirmware.com) and have looked on the my-gti site for tips and warnings, etc. but I am unsure as to whether I will lose steering wheel controls functionality if I do this upgrade - seems to be comments either way.

Can anyone definitively confirm if I will or won't lose steering wheel controls, and if I do is there an easy fix to get them back?

Thanks

David